Desperately Wanting a Camper!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-31-2017, 06:55 AM   #1

Name: Sarah
Trailer: In the market
Canada
Desperately Wanting a Camper!!

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am from Ontario and have a road trip set for October to CO. I was really hoping to find an affordable camper to make the trip easier and for future road trips. We can pick up anywhere along the way too! Help a sista out
Sarah81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:10 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Sarah, searching kijiji I found several Bolers and Trilliums for sale in Ontario. Based on ad descriptions, some are ready to use. In addition, searching craigslist, I found several Scamps and Casitas for sale Michigan and Ohio. Good luck in your search!
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:13 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Best to help yourself by:

1. Knowing which models suit your needs.

2. Casting a wide net (distance from you). The likely candidates tend not to be local or anything close to local. Road trip definitely helps for you.

4. Having the ability to pounce quickly. Campers tend to not last more than a couple of days.

5. Inspecting carefully since you want to use it immediately.

6. Define affordable. Molded fiberglass trailers tend to be expensive for the size. The cheaper ones are usually projects, needing a lot of work (so if you find one of those, it likely will not be road ready by October). My stick built RV friends are shocked at the prices of molded trailers. Most don't get it.

7. Make sure your tow vehicle is adequate to pull the trailer of your choice. Ignore dry weights, look at weights in the real world.

8. There are more buyers than sellers out there. As long as most FG trailer mfrs have several month backlogs, this will continue. People that want to camp NOW have only one choice in the molded FG world: buy used. If/when the factory backlogs go away, this pressure will subside and sanity will return. Harley Davidson went through the same pressures. People would sell their spot on a waiting list for thousands of dollars. Now you can walk into any dealer and pick the model of your choice.

9. Expect to pay a premium given your short time line. We did the same thing and yep, we admittedly paid a premium for it. We figured getting the use of a trailer sooner was worth the premium. Good deals tend to take longer to find.

10. The great news you are in Canada. The supply in Canada seems to be much better than the supply in the USA. And with the low Canadian dollar right now, prices are better there too.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:16 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Sarah!

Couple of things to consider...

First, "affordable" and "ready to camp" are sometimes mutually exclusive, or at least a give-and-take. Know that we are in the midst of a bubble in popularity of small molded fiberglass trailers, so prices are generally up. Moderately-priced units may need some work. Some of that work might be deferred until after your trip, but some might have to be dealt with on the fly.

Second, consider your vehicle. Is it already set up to tow? What is it rated to pull? Some people are misled by sellers who claim "under 1000 pounds, can tow with anything." They may be going by manufacturers' dry weights, which only include the bare, un-optioned, unloaded shell. For a reality check on the real, loaded-for-camping weights of various makes and models, see the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World (post #297 links to a spreadsheet).

I wish you the best in your "egg hunt"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:34 AM   #5

Canada
Thanks so much for all of the advice!

I am very limited in budget so I know I most likely am SOL for the moment, but I figured it doesn't hurt to look. I really don't mind something that needs a bit of work, but I may be just tenting it for the road trip and that will be okay. I really appreciate everyone reaching out. It means a lot!
Old 08-31-2017, 09:36 AM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Sarah, it would be helpful to post your budget and if you have any must haves. That way if folks see something that might be suitable or have something they can contact you.
For example are you just looking for a basic 13 foot older trailer - Boler, Trillium etc to sleep 2 people in one bed with no bathroom?
Which part of Ontario are you in?
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:57 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah81 View Post
Thanks so much for all of the advice!

I am very limited in budget so I know I most likely am SOL for the moment, but I figured it doesn't hurt to look. I really don't mind something that needs a bit of work, but I may be just tenting it for the road trip and that will be okay. I really appreciate everyone reaching out. It means a lot!
The older used ones that are supposedly ready to go will need a bit of work and still bring top dollar. The ones that need some work typically need a lot of work which can include major fiberglass repair, frame repair or replacement, floor replacement, new plumbing, windows rebuilt, electrical and some appliance replacement.

To do such a project you need indoor space, a lot of time. And by the time you are done don't be surprised if you spend more than what a nicer one costs.

I looked at such a project earlier this year. Price was good. Floor and frame looked good. Everything else was bad. Large hole in the fiberglass along with some large cracks, someone had painted it with house paint which naturally was peeling badly. Electrical and propane were bad. Needed a new axle for sure. Appliances were missing so I would need to buy some or go without.

Really the paint was a killer to me as to do it right that meant sanding and stripping it all off to get down to something paintable. I had no illusions the project was going to make any sense financially, but being retired sometimes I'll pick up projects just for the heck of it.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:05 AM   #8

Canada
If it's meant to be.......

Great point!

I will be more specific in my search. I am looking for a camper for 2 people (no bunkbeds needed), a kitchenette, ideally a poop closet but not necessary. Hoping to find something that a Subaru Forester can pull. We have a truck right now that can pull almost anything but I will be getting a forester sooner than later and I believe they can only pull up to 1200 lbs. My budget is limited, preferably nothing over $3000 (yes, I know, asking for a miracle) but can maybe go over that if it blows my mind (it would be on my credit which I would prefer not to go there). I am in the Blue Mountains area near Georgian Bay but I am more than willing to travel to pick up (to a degree). As I mentioned, we will be driving through the US to CO so anything on the way there or back could be possible.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:54 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I believe some here who know more than me will tell you the market opens up considerably in the $US 4,000-5,000 range. While you search, try to tour the inside of several models, particularly 13' ones. They are most likely to fit your Forester & budget. Good news! From that point they seem to depreciate little. I am certain some have appreciated.
On a weekend like this look for rallies, or tour nearby campgrounds. Good luck.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:57 PM   #10

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Subaru towing

Check out the tongue weight the Subaru can handle. I've been told the backend of a Subaru is a crumple zone, great for safety but without a frame structure back there more than 200lb tongue weight will bend the back down.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:11 PM   #11

Canada
I will check that out! That would suck to buy a camper and then destroy my car!
Old 08-31-2017, 03:33 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
A little repair work needed in the fiberglass world can mean anything from a window replacement to a full gutting and repairing fiberglass. I'm not try to discourage you and your hunt.

I spent the better part of two years hunting for Scamp that wasn't a project trailer. I discovered that the difference between a new trailer and used one ready to camp was less pretty close. Buying new I was able to get the options I wanted instead of getting somebody elses idea of a perfect trailer.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:07 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Desperately Wanting a Camper!!

Tow and tongue weight ratings vary on Foresters depending on the year. New ones are only rated for 1500 pounds, I think, and I'm not sure about the tongue rating. Many 13'ers exceed that once you load them up. If you are set on a Forester, you are going to be very limited. An Outback is a better choice for towing and will handle most 13'ers. It still has a 200 pound tongue weight limit, which can usually be achieved as long as you carry only one LP tank.

Your budget is very limiting. Do a very thorough inspection. You can manage without a fridge or furnace if they aren't working, but if the floor is rotten, the axle shot, the tires outdated, the windows leaking... you have to put time and money into it before you hit the road.

Keep looking- you never know what might turn up- and keep saving. Eventually your budget and the right trailer will line up.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:25 AM   #14

Trailer: Casita
Registry
This is about the best you are going to do. It doesn't appear to need any serious work.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/r...253034030.html

Mandan ND is kind of on your way too.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #15

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
You will also be limited by the crummy exchange rate Can to US right now. If your budget is around $3000 Can, chances of finding anything in the States at 30% less than that are low. Prices do usually go down a little after the long weekend so keep checking listings frequently and be ready to jump.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:16 AM   #16

Registry
+10 exchange rate makes buying in US that much harder. In addition, there were a lot of FG trailer mfrs in Canada so the supply is better
Old 09-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Yes, there WERE a few FGRV manufacturers in Ontario MANY years ago (none now !). So, there ARE some older Bolers and Trilliums, as well as other US breeds to be found. Keep your eyes peeled as you travel the lesser travelled back roads, and you may find one 'resting' in a farm field south of Blue Mountain. Better yet, call or visit Paul Neumeister, at 'A-! Auto' in Sebringville. He may lead you to someone within your budget and tow-vehicle restrictions. Paul is the well known 'guru' for all FGRVs in Ontario, as well as several neighbouring 'States'.

(We were lucky enough to find our abandoned Boler just a few KM from our Algonquin Highlands, after several years of casual searching.)