Difference between fiberglass and traditional campers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2015, 07:44 PM   #1

Name: Kirk
Trailer: Currently shopping
Pennsylvania
Difference between fiberglass and traditional campers

Hello new here , been doing research on camper trailers . Scamp or something like that . I think the fiberglass is the way to go as far as long lasting and ease of maintenance ? Is this true ? All I need is a small trailer to sleep at least 4 or maybe more . Would love some extra items in trailer if possible like AC and bathroom which from what I have seen isn't really that far off from a possibility . Also 16' to max 19' is not that big of a problem to get either . The main thing I am looking for is which is good, better, best ? Which I am sure is a different response to each person who answers this . Either way I would appreciate your answers . That way I can make a better choice for me and my family to enjoy it . And also I know money has to play a major roll for which is which . Weather I go new or used . Prefer used at this point right now because it seems that new is just out of my reach for right now . Also if there are things I should look out for or stay away from . I have been reading that some have bad floors .
Roxx617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:58 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Welcome to the FGRV Forum! Chances are you will get lots of responses to your request. Your wants/needs are wide AND you have a budget (who doesn't?) I suggest you go to our veteran RVer, Norm. While there are many other people who can be valuable resources to you Norm is held in high esteem because of his experience and knowledge. See this posting at http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-70206.html.

My husband and I chose a new 13' Scamp in 2011 without a shower or toilet because it suits our needs to sleep two adults, be easy to tow with a sedan and be a step up from tent camping. We have been totally happy with our choice and because it was new we had no "surprise" repairs lurking.

Good luck with your research and your ultimate choice.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Used glass rvs hold their value extremely well compared to the stick-builts; so you might consider your first one as a tryout trailer to use and figure out what you really want as you will not lose much (if any) should you sell in a year or two. They sell in hours or days, not weeks. Start with your tow vehicle specs on what weight you can safely tow. If you want to sleep 4 you are looking at the 17 to 21 foot range, so that 3000 - 4000 pounds when loaded with water and your stuff. Also a Class 2 hitch as the tongue weights are 300-450 pounds.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:30 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Here's my opinion and I'm Scamp owner:

GOOD: (Scamp's probably most economical)
Casita, Scamp, EggCamper, Lil Snoozy (and a few others)

BETTER:
Escape

BEST: (PRICEY! but the best quality of anything on the road!)
BigFoot, Oliver

If I had a choice between the BigFoot or Oliver comparing to Airstream to have to own and maintain, I'd take the BF or Ollie ANYDAY.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:58 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Family Trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxx617 View Post
Hello new here , been doing research on camper trailers . Scamp or something like that . I think the fiberglass is the way to go as far as long lasting and ease of maintenance ? Is this true ? All I need is a small trailer to sleep at least 4 or maybe more . Would love some extra items in trailer if possible like AC and bathroom which from what I have seen isn't really that far off from a possibility . Also 16' to max 19' is not that big of a problem to get either . The main thing I am looking for is which is good, better, best ? Which I am sure is a different response to each person who answers this . Either way I would appreciate your answers . That way I can make a better choice for me and my family to enjoy it . And also I know money has to play a major roll for which is which . Weather I go new or used . Prefer used at this point right now because it seems that new is just out of my reach for right now. Also if there are things I should look out for or stay away from . I have been reading that some have bad floors .
Kirk,
Posts like yours always seem to require reading between the lines. Your post reads like one for a young family... '4 maybe more'. Usually this means limited resources, a key parameter which suggests you will be buying a used trailer.

Most fiberglass trailers are really designed for two adults, some of the fiberglass trailers that are reasonably priced can sleep four and really a great family could manage with a fifth, a small child, assuming all will sleep within the trailer. (Many resolve the crowding by sleeping outside in a tent).

You are correct, fiberglass trailers can last a long time, ours is 24 years old, a Scamp 16, and our son has a 38 year old Scamp 13. As to AC and bathrooms virtually all fiberglass trailers from 16' up can and usually offer these as features.

Our first experience with trailers was non-fiberglass. We were looking for the lowest cost solution that could meet our needs since we were looking at a short usage time frame, originally 2 months which turned into two years and now fiberglass. Non fiberglass trailers usually do not last as long as fiberglass trailers though they cost less and offer larger useful volumes. If you purchase carefully you can buy a good used trailer with the volume and features necessary to fill your needs.

If you're looking forward to a life long trailer, fiberglass is tough to beat. A good fiberglass trailer can last a lifetime with reasonable care. It can meet the needs of a family of four, for example a Scamp 16 with front bunks for two children.

It does take a controlled family that enjoys each other, that can occasionally live in tight spaces, that really like and love each other. Of course most of the time the family is outside, but in the evening or bad weather, when people are a little tired, there is a non-normal closeness. (I know many adults that can not stand the tight space of a small trailer even when it's two people who have been married for decades.)

Other considerations are tow vehicle, length of trips, money available, ....

As to good, better, best... to me that's a dollar issue. For a family of four, assuming two adults and two children. my choice in fiberglass would be a Scamp 16 with front bunks towed by a mini-van.

If I were young and had a young family I would not choose fiberglass. I would look for a family oriented non-fiberglass trailer with more volume, again that could be towed by a mini-van. My thought would be that this is a short term purchase, the family will change, the camping needs will cycle with children's changing life.

Our original non-fiberglass trailer was owned by a single family for 20+ years. They used it for two weeks a year for family vacation, it slept four, they carried tents and the children mostly slept there. It cost us $900 used.

Without more information it is tough to answer.... amount you want to spend, amount of time camping (weekend, vacation,...), ages of children, type of camping, trailer experience.

I know there's a fair amount of wandering here. A follow up post from you would help all better define potential solutions. Wishing you well. Like many on the site I've owned numerous types of RVs and would be glad to answer any questions.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #6

Name: Kirk
Trailer: Currently shopping
Pennsylvania
well i was thinking due to the young age of my children girl 8 boy 5 trailer would be used not very often. weekend get away provided it will not disrupt sports ect.... as far as tow vehicle no worries there.i will be using a 2015 GMC 2500 hd crew cab. your post seems like the correct idea,non fiberglass and family fun center on wheels with hopefully extra space for friends as well. i was looking for some of the nicer things for it example ac and bathroom so the wife would be roughing it so much . you know the old saying happy wife happy life.

so with your response which helped me put things in perspective which would be a good camper for lets say may 6? and what are some things i should look out for that might be hidden out of plain sight that i should avoid buying? i have read some people have had to replace floors and other such things.
Roxx617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Happy, Happy Happy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxx617 View Post
(Clip) . you know the old saying happy wife happy life.

The oft lost & forgotten prefix to that formula is:
Happy Husband + Happy Wife = Happy Life

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #8

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Happy spouse, happy house..
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:37 PM   #9

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Considering both the size of you family and your budget you might go with the
"Norm-Plan" and select a nice used any spacious non-fiberglass travel trailer that is light weight. In that category you will find thousands of used units and many is great condition that show little use. For the best possible bargain try to buy from a private seller....check craigslist for starters in your area.

Because you are new to all of this RV trailer life try to enlist the aid of a veteran RV trailer owner to assist in inspections. Just last week I looked at some great non-fiberglass travel trailers...new on a dealers lot at some very low prices.
One bunk-house model had tons of space for a growing family. The layout looked like a Sunline travel trailer I owned in 1987 that served my family for many years. The more new and used units you look at the better you will understand that layout is very important in limited space as it relates to happy family camping trips.

Enjoy the search for that perfect travel trailer...the used inventory is HUGE!

Since you live in Pennsylvania you might visit the huge RV show this summer in Hersey, Pa....google it to get dates and directions!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:01 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
As you can see there are people who love their FG and others that are not tied to purchasing an Egg. Going to an RV show is an eggcellent idea, and if you can get to an Egg Rally, you will get a good look at the variety of fiberglass campers that are out there.
Scamp maintains a list of owners who are willing to 'give tours' of their trailers, so you might also check with the factory and see if there's someone in your area. I love my FG trailer, and wouldn't consider trading it for a big non-FG trailer.
Its good that you are starting your research ahead of time and you will know what you need and want by the time you start shopping the used market.
Welcome to the group!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Scamp maintains a list of owners who are willing to 'give tours' of their trailers, so you might also check with the factory and see if there's someone in your area. I love my FG trailer, and wouldn't consider trading it for a big non-FG trailer.
Scamp isn't the only manufacturer that does referrrals. So does Escape, Casita, Oliver and maybe others. Contact the manufacturers for those referrals. They've already said no, unless you ask.

If you ever end up in Oregon, on the Left Coast, I'd gladly show you Ten Forward
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:31 PM   #12

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
My $0.02:

Do you know you really will get use out of a camper? If not, rent one. It can be a sticky, a pop-up, whatever. Make sure the whole family (particularly the less enthusiastic spouse of the two of you), is really happy with the idea of camping.

In my case, my spouse is the daughter of an inveterate sportsman. She slept in flop hotels and tents, was an active girl scout, etc. We have one middle school age kid, who is always happy to be someplace interesting doing something fun. I wanted something with less setup and teardown than the tents we'd always had before.

My parents have a small class A motorhome and really like it, but it's a bigger project than I can honestly manage.

I saw my first FGRV in about 1990 and immediately wondered why anybody every bought anything else (other than maybe an airstream). All of the traditional camper problems are drastically reduced.

35 years later and I finally have one - a fine, vintage 16 foot Casita. My wife thinks it's really neat that it has hot and cold running water, storage, even a little kitchen. I know it will need maintenance, but I also know that it'll need less and less drastic care than a non FG trailer would. Not maintenance-free by any means, but definitely less.

That said, I'll note (having spent evenings of two weeks cleaning one recently) that there's one thing you need to understand about a used FGRV: They're like Las Vegas. What happens in an FGRV tends to stay in it. It's a big fiberglass bathtub, after all - they don't breathe much. Mouse nests smell bad until you remove them and go after them with smell and stain remover. Cooking grease gets everywhere. Dogs and cats leave their own olfactory memories, even if they were continent.

Because they're plastic shells with synthetic insides you can definitely get the smells out, but assume that you're going to have to if it's used.

They're rare, generally small, and not for the average RV buyer. But if you want one, nothing else will do.
steelypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:49 AM   #13

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I recommended a non-fiberglass travel trailer (Norm also suggested the plan) because the OP stated he wanted a lot of space and his wife wanted a complete bathroom in the trailer. The OP also indicated he had a tight budget.
The fiberglass units can be great for two people (as Norm pointed out) but once you add in 4 or more children in addition to the 2 adults and the high initial cost of ownership plus the limited sizes offered by the fiberglass makers the only option on a limited budget is a used non-fiberglass travel trailer.

This is a great place for information on fiberglass trailers but too often the original background information supplied by the individual making the information request is ignored. This post did indicate that new and even used large fiberglass were beyond his financial reach. He stated that a full bathroom was very important to his wife. Most fiberglass units offer tiny bathrooms and the shower must be taken sitting on the toilet (no separate shower area).
He is doing research trying to find the best solution for his young family.

Most first time travel trailer buyers end up trading in their first travel trailer after a season or two...in a quest for the right layout and features...he may end up in a fiberglass unit over time but right now his budget and available used inventory may mean a non-fiberglass unit is a logical starting point in his search for that perfect TT for his young family.

I read this board daily and sooner or later I'll end up finding a large enough fiberglass unit with a full featured bathroom on the used market that suits my needs. I currently own an ultra light TT that is a compromise (budget meets reality). At 26 feet it is plenty roomy for my wife and I. We own it because it was priced right and in great condition...the layout was a compromise....it is not a fiberglass unit. We have been camping in travel trailers since 1984 and traded up in size the very first year with two children space was an issue...went from 16 feet to a 24 foot unit (both Sunline trailers). Because we have been at it for about 30 years we know what we want...space and creature comforts are important to us. Most here feel smaller is better and that fits the fiberglass mold!

Roxx617 has read the horror stories about rotten floors in fiberglass units and is afraid of making a costly mistake when buying. I suggest he find someone who has owned several travel trailers and knows his way around the product and the potential pitfalls one encounters when buying used....the key here is to find used but not abused well cared for units....not antiques.

The marketplace is flooded with used non-fiberglass travel trailers in almost new condition....check craigslist and RV dealers lots for used bargains.
Sad fact is there is a shortage of used fiberglass trailers at affordable prices on the market.

Good Luck and Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:42 PM   #14

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
I have to agree, you might want to try renting for a weekend to see how the whole idea works. And you would probably find a stick built trailer more likely to fit your needs. There are very few eggs that could accommodate six people of any size.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
A slightly different perspective.
I have 5 children. Up till recently we took all 5 camping. My soon to be 21 year old has moved out, so he might not come camping as much.
We have a Trillium, (six of them actually, but we only use one). Trilliums have not been mentioned yet. I really like them. I like the fibreglass interior, and thoughtful design. Our 4500 sleeps four kids. My wife and I sleep in the travel van. It has a bench in the back that converts to a bed. When we camped with the five kids, the smallest child slept in the van with us. Now we have the van to our selves.

I think of our arraignment as an articulated motor home. The van, with its TV and Sony PS3 is like the living room, and the trailer is the kitchen / bedroom. No bathroom though, and I know this is important to the OP.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote