DIY FG Camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2016, 12:29 AM   #1

Name: Pat
Trailer: In the market
Nevada
DIY FG Camper

I have not seen anywhere (and think I might be out of luck) where some one can buy all the parts of a 13' fiberglass trailer and assemble at home in their spare time, taking a bit of time when money or schedule was tight.

I would prefer a new trailer but obviously lack the funds. I was able to build a Volkswagen Baja bug this way and found the ability to customize to my exact needs extremely fun.

Is there a place where I can get a trailer and body (or at the very least a fiberglass shell?) looking for cost around 1500-2k?
TacoTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:34 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Do a Google search for "RV Salvage" (with quotes) and you'll find lots of places to start looking.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:09 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Pat, I think Charlie has the right idea for you but keep your eyes open as you never know when you'll come across one that's been sitting out in the back 40. Finding a VW is a piece of cake in comparison.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:12 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Welcome to the forum. Scamp will sell you the pieces but much like buying a car in pieces, you'll pay a lot more.

Welcome to Scamp Trailers Parts Store

You can buy a bare bones Scamp for around $10k. For less than that you will have to look for a used trailer. Be aware that used trailers are not cheap and don't stay for sale for very long. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:56 AM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
One of our Uhaul owners had a tree fall on her Uhaul. She is looking to purchase a new one. Maybe she would sell the damaged one.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:04 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Years ago, I believe it was Burro that would sell a kit, but that's the only one I know about.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Bob is right burro did sell a complete kit at one time and I think you can still find there website but it is dead. I think finding a new shell only ,will be way out of your price range as fiberglass has become very expensive to produce. Your best bet would be to find an older gutted trailer and redo it as others here have.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #8

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
Yes Burro did come in a kit form but has been out of business since 2000.
Best bet try to find a used one and gut it. Kind of a clean canvas.
Good luck.
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:58 AM   #9

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
These are pretty cool. Can be built any size and on a harbor freight trailer
http://www.tealinternational.com/Tai...r/campers.html
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Scamp used to sell 13s in kit form, but that was more than 30 years ago,
( notice the plaid 70s fabric?)
Today the best way is to find a solid neglected trailer and build from there.
Attached Thumbnails
mp0058.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
After I finish the Boler I am currently restoring I am considering building a fiberglass trailer from the ground up using a jet ski trailer as the frame. Plan is to build a light wood or aluminum frame and skin it with fiberglass matte and resin rather than build the body from molds.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #12

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I think you could use blue foam insulation board, but you would have to use epoxy to keep from dissolving the foam.
Glasses on both sides would make a strong light composite.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Someone had one of those " teal fiberglass modular trailer for sake with or without the trailer if my memory services me correctly
Check in the classified section on thus site seems like it was within last 6 mos or so.... They might have a phone number listed

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:17 PM   #14

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
We have a 76 Trillium which we bought in pretty good shape. But I keep seeing older or at least much more run down looking small FG trailers in rather derelict shape parked in fence corners around the country. You might be able to pick up one of these cheap if you ask - just figure on stripping it to the frame and starting from there. If you do an internet search you will also find some u-tube videos of people who have built small trailers from scratch, using utility trailer frames but to me the 'fence corner kit' might be the best bet since the engineering is already done for you. Just be sure your rebuild is sound.
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #15

Name: Donald
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Google "Tear Drop Trailers" for many plans and ideas. Just scale them up to a size you want, and use fiberglass coverings.
robertsd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #16

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Found 13 Scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTruckDriver View Post
I have not seen anywhere (and think I might be out of luck) where some one can buy all the parts of a 13' fiberglass trailer and assemble at home in their spare time, taking a bit of time when money or schedule was tight.

I would prefer a new trailer but obviously lack the funds. I was able to build a Volkswagen Baja bug this way and found the ability to customize to my exact needs extremely fun.

Is there a place where I can get a trailer and body (or at the very least a fiberglass shell?) looking for cost around 1500-2k?
Galena , Il ----Scamp appears sitting for years . Don't know owner but will try , & possible price .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Old scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTruckDriver View Post

. I found one in Iowa . Email --edeno2027@gmail.com . His name is Ed . Good luck .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote