Does our perfect trailer exist? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2017, 03:14 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1986 Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
Does our perfect trailer exist?

Hi All,

Family of 3 from Pittsburgh, here!

We're hoping to find a 13' that has 2 separate beds (1 for parents and 1 for our 9yo son) but that also has a private potty (portable or otherwise) in a separate room. Does such an egg exist? Or can one be modded with a bunk over the main bed?

If we have to move to a 16/17' we could possibly still tow it with our 2012 Forester, but smaller units just feel right.

We've loved all of the ideas we have read here so far and hope to be able to contribute in the future!
Forward Look is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:31 PM   #2

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
Check your tongue weight on your Forester. I believe that it is 200 pounds. Which would restrict you to a trailer that is 2,000 pounds once you pack it with your stuff for camping. I don't know if there are any 16/17s that are that light loaded up for camping. The trailer weights in the real world thread is good to look at for examples of other peoples loaded weights.

But you could always get at 13 with a front goucho and a privacy tent for the porta potti.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
Subies simply aren't adequate tow vehicles for much...I would check out Scamps website for a suitable floor plan since Casita has discontinued production on their 13' models...keep in mind, a molded fiberglass camper will probably outlast several tow vehicles.......
madjack
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:42 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Dave, Lisa is correct. We had a 2011 Forester and the tow limits were 2,400 lbs with a tongue weight limit of 200 lbs. That tongue weight is the real problem. We were towing a 13 ft Scamp with no bathroom. You may get away with the front bathroom weight-wise, but then you lose the other beds. I wouldn't personally try to pull a 16 with your Subie. I sympathize with you because otherwise they are great cars. None better in the snow. The newer (since 2013?) Foresters are limited to 1,500 lbs. The only way I see to do what you want, is as Lisa said, have a separate privacy tent. You can also take turns using the porta potty in the trailer, or changing clothes while the others wait their turn outside? We have friends, Ray and Francie, that traveled in a 13 ft Scamp Standard with front bunks and took 3 grand kids along! Maybe they'll weigh in. You can compromise and make-do with options etc. and do just fine, but not when it comes to towing safety. I hope you find a way to get a trailer/vehicle rig that works for you. You will have a great time.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
ParkLiners have a queen bed and side dinette that makes into a single. An enclosed potty/shower, and lots of storage space. They were a 15 ft, but I think they may be growing to 16 ft. We tow ours w/ a Toyota Highlander.
They also have a double bunk option that goes above the side dinette.
Unfortunately, They have gone from factory direct to dealer sales, with a significant price hike.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #6

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
ParkLiners have a queen bed and side dinette that makes into a single. An enclosed potty/shower, and lots of storage space. They were a 15 ft, but I think they may be growing to 16 ft. We tow ours w/ a Toyota Highlander.
They also have a double bunk option that goes above the side dinette.
Unfortunately, They have gone from factory direct to dealer sales, with a significant price hike.
I've been thinking about a Parkliner, too. However, it will probably be even heavier as the new design will have a double hull and insulation. Liberty is not sharing specs as of today but I guess we'll see soon enough. They will have a 16 at the rally.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:17 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Does our perfect trailer exist?

A Parkliner is well above the tow rating of a Forester. Because of the 200 pound tongue weight limit, necessitating a travel trailer under 2000 pounds, we are limited to 13'ers here. The extra rear seat passenger, along with any cargo you plan to carry in the vehicle, compounds the problem by adding weight on the rear axle.

I don't know anything that has beds for three and an enclosed porta-potty room.

Door #1 is a very basic 13' Scamp or similar with front bunks (you can easily take out the top bunk to save some weight) and a privacy tent for the porta-potty. Pack very lightly to limit the rear axle load.

Door #2 is a bigger tow vehicle. There are several smallish SUVs with 3500/350 tow ratings (Ford Escape Ecoboost, Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T, Kia Sorento 2.0T, Jeep Cherokee V6, Chevy Equinox/GMC Terrain V6, off the top of my head). That would open up your trailer options in the 15-16' class.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:22 PM   #8

Pennsylvania
Thanks all for the welcome and suggestions.

I have been investigating Subaru's low towing limits. The 200#/2400# often quoted are in the Subaru owner's manual that states specifically the limitations of their factory-installed Class 2 hitch, not the limits of the vehicle itself (if different). The OEM hitch also does not allow for weight distributing hitch usage. There isn't any mention about the Forester's raw towing capacity using a heavier aftermarket hitch.

I have sent an email to Subaru to try and see if other limits would be in effect with a non-OEM hitch -- particularly weight distributing hitches -- but have not yet gotten a solid answer.

If we did need to move to a larger tow vehicle, my Magnum wagon will tow 3800# -- but it has a very tiny cargo area for our 2 dogs. The Forester would be much nicer for all.

In any event, we still would prefer to find a nice 13-footer with 2 beds and a potty if we can.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:26 PM   #9

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward Look View Post

I have been investigating Subaru's low towing limits. The 200#/2400# often quoted are in the Subaru owner's manual that states specifically the limitations of their factory-installed Class 2 hitch, not the limits of the vehicle itself (if different). The OEM hitch also does not allow for weight distributing hitch usage. There isn't any mention about the Forester's raw towing capacity using a heavier aftermarket hitch.

I have sent an email to Subaru to try and see if other limits would be in effect with a non-OEM hitch -- particularly weight distributing hitches -- but have not yet gotten a solid answer.

If we did need to move to a larger tow vehicle, my Magnum wagon will tow 3800# -- but it has a very tiny cargo area for our 2 dogs. The Forester would be much nicer for all.

In any event, we still would prefer to find a nice 13-footer with 2 beds and a potty if we can.
Did you look at the Happier Camper, HC1? You can configure it online and it has modular inserts. I don't know much about it except that it's very light weight.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:59 PM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:

Dave, Subaru says specifically not to use weight distribution hitches. The hitch itself isn't the limiting factor on your Forester. It's the vehicle itself. I didn't like the Subaru hitch and put a much stronger Curt Class 3 hitch on but it didn't affect the towing limits. They are 200 / 2,400 no matter what hitch you use. Wish it was different, and I have no idea how they come up with those numbers, but it is what it is. Outbacks have much better numbers, but don't recall offhand what they are.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Good luck getting a straight answer out of Subaru. Took me six years to get an answer about WDH and my RAV4 from Toyota. They just kept citing the manual, which was what I wanted clarification on.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #12

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
2bed camer

I removed the heavy bunk beds & had a mattress made for their replacement on my 13 Scamp . This will give you the two desired beds .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Point 1 Children love tents particularly the 7+ ages.
Point 2 Use the facilities in the campgrounds rather than the added tongue weight created by a bathroom.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:22 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Don't know where you are at in PA but we will be picking up a HC1 on display at the javits center in NY and be bringing at back to Detroit and will be passing through PA on our way back and can arrange to show it to you.
Although the HC1 does not have a separate bathroom it can be set up with 2 separate double beds and if loaded properly it should fit your suberu tv needs.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:33 AM   #15

Pennsylvania
Hi All,

Thanks again for all of the offers, help & advice!

While searching nationwide for potential candidates, an interesting one popped up at a very reasonable price only 15 miles away from us. We lucked out and were able to purchase it on Monday! It's in need of a really good cleaning, of course, but otherwise is in very nice shape without signs of being "hacked up".

It's a 1997 Scamp 16', layout 3. No bathroom, but it does have the potential to add a side closet/porta potty later on if we move to a bigger tow vehicle. It's a 'stripper' for sure -- no A/C, no fresh/gray/black tanks, no bathroom, nothing to add the dreaded extra weight. The seller had stated that with the battery and a propane tank, it had weighed in at just slightly under 2k pounds. I will need to verify that to be sure.

I will be bringing it home tonight with my Magnum (3800#/350# ratings on towing, but it also has a big trans cooler, towing radiator, and huge brakes.) to get us started. Please wish us luck!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2113.jpg   IMG_2114.jpg  

Old 08-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations! Just in time for some fall camping. My favorite time of year!

Appears to be lots of potential in this one. Simple makes a nice starting point. I like the upgraded cabinet doors and table. Have you checked the floor and frame?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #17

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Have you checked the floor and frame?
Thanks! I did a rough inspection of the undercarriage, but will be checking it a bit more before towing tonight. Under the center furthest rear floor, there is a 12" x 6" section of fiberglass that has cracked down like a flap. Will definitely need repair in that area. The frame had the normal paint flakes and rust, but appeared solid.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:19 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks again for all of the offers, help & advice!

While searching nationwide for potential candidates, an interesting one popped up at a very reasonable price only 15 miles away from us. We lucked out and were able to purchase it on Monday!
Dave,

I have to say, this business of "looking" tends to lead to a lot of "finding" from what I have observed here. In fact, that's what happened to us too.

I know you wanted something to work with the Subaru. Additional to the tow rating, be sure to look at your capacity for tongue weight, cargo and passengers too.

What does GVWR mean?

Best of luck. It's a nice-looking trailer. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:58 PM   #19

Pennsylvania
... and she's home! Towed like a dream. Can't wait to start getting her ready for a new family's lifetime of adventures. =)
Old 08-23-2017, 09:09 PM   #20

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
... and she's home! Towed like a dream. Can't wait to start getting her ready for a new family's lifetime of adventures. =)
Congrats! It looks VERY nice!
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote