Door will not close on new scamp 16' trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-16-2015, 07:56 PM   #15

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
The anwser is YES!! Some of us have removed the junky Scamp door latch/lock and added the "FIC" locks. Why Scamp wont change or at least offer this is beyond me! But here's my mod that mirrors many others in our "Scampers" Yahoo group that have done this successfully.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57643963773193

Old 06-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I think part of the problem in lack of knowledge provided. Scamp doors are NOT meant to be closed like a car door. Attempting to do so could break the fiberglass that the "strike" plate is attached to. Therefore the latch handle, inside or outside, should be held down, then the door closed. Release the handle then give a push or pull, outside or inside, to make sure the latch is fully engaged.
REMEMBER IT'S NOT A CAR OR HOUSE DOOR.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm a little confused about the idea of "turning the Scamp handle 180 degrees."

The problem, as I understand it, is that the factory position of the door handle (pointing toward the front of the trailer) allows the weight of the lever to rotate against the locking mechanism while the trailer is bouncing down the highway, causing it to wear out prematurely. The solution I have heard is to rotate the lever 90 degrees (pointing toward the ground) so that there is no tendency to rotate when you hit a bump.

That would reduce premature wear on the lock mechanism, but it still wouldn't ensure that the latch is fully extended behind the striker plate when you close the door for travel. You would still need to retract the latch by turning the handle, close and press firmly on the door to compress the seal, and release the handle to engage the latch behind the striker. The real culprit is the door seal, which is quite firm when new and loosens up over time. The new style flanged seal may be exacerbating the problem, since it is a tighter seal that the old style.

I agree that a modern latch with an integrated deadbolt would be a big improvement. But Scamps are, well… like VW Beetles.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #18

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Not so with the latch mod I provided. The door now shuts soundly and solidly with a slight push. I demonstrate that on a vid clip. MUCH better latch than the Frito Lays truck handles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I think part of the problem in lack of knowledge provided. Scamp doors are NOT meant to be closed like a car door. Attempting to do so could break the fiberglass that the "strike" plate is attached to. Therefore the latch handle, inside or outside, should be held down, then the door closed. Release the handle then give a push or pull, outside or inside, to make sure the latch is fully engaged.
REMEMBER IT'S NOT A CAR OR HOUSE DOOR.

Tags
scamp