Dreaming about retirement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #1

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: In the Market
Indiana
Dreaming about retirement

As I near retirement, I am looking for affordable and safe travel for me and my dog. I plan to play Scrabble in tournaments around the country and I would like to find a small lightweight trailer to pull with my Subaru Impreza Outback. Any advice?
kathleenlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:57 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Check the owners manual for your Subaru for tow rating and tongue weight. That's the limiting factor as to what size/brand you can tow.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:42 AM   #3

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Welcome, Kathleen,
That is so neat to play Scrabble around.
The ideal way to get a trailer is to look at the trailers and decide what you want and then get an appropriate tow vehicle, if you can do that.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:13 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hello Kathleen and welcome to the forum. I agree with the first two posts. I'm afraid you will find your Impreza limits your options when it comes to fiberglass trailers. If a new tow is not in the cards, a tear drop might be a better match. Little Guys is one I would consider. Enjoy your retirement. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:51 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome, Kathleen. Do you have the owner's manual for your tow vehicle? If so, you'll find info in there regarding towing. If not, if you'll give the year, engine size, stuff like that, someone might have the same vehicle or at least be able to point you in the right direction for the information you need.

Scrabble? How cool! I love Scrabble and used to play with my older son when he was at home.

Are you planning to full-time? If not, how much time do you plan to spend in the trailer at one time? Is a bath/shower a necessity? With more info, I'll scour around and see if I can any possibilities.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:04 AM   #6

Indiana
What quick responses to my inquiry! At this point, I am hoping to use my current vehicle but I am seeing that might not be a possibility. It is a 2014 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium. Since I don't anticipate using the trailer full-time, I can do without a shower. Thanks for any input.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:19 AM   #7

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Sorry, you picked the title!

47 Days
To
RETIREMENT!!!!

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:20 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Unless someone else has other information, what I found was that Subaru does not recommend towing with this particular vehicle. I checked 3 or 4 sources and they gave no towing weight just "N/R".
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
In trying to find a towing spec for this vehicle I found several different specifications on the Subaru website depending on Year and model, ranging from "0" to 1500 lbs.

The o.p. needs to provide more information and/or look in section 8 of the owners manual for that vehicle and lets us know what the exact specifications might be.

BTW: If you go to the Subaru web site, there is a place to enter the VIN and get the correct Owners Manual for that vehicle.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:15 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Dreaming about retirement

While you research the towing capacity of your vehicle, you can also research towing weights of various trailers in the thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html in the General Chat section. Post #297 has a handy downloadable spreadsheet. Unlike manufacturers' and sellers' claims, these are realistic loaded-for-travel weights.

If you do decide you need to upgrade your vehicle, you might want to look at some trailers first. Then you can choose a right-sized vehicle for the trailer that meets your needs. Attending a fiberglass egg rally is a good way to see a lot of different makes and models. Many have a time set aside for open-house tours.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:21 AM   #11

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
I enjoy retirement from 33 years of flying. Too much time away from home. We love our Scamp 16 model, and have done very nice and fun things to it to make it ours.,lots of fun trips this spring and summer. No more need for a alarm clock!
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #12

Name: Faith
Trailer: currently shopping for a Scamp
Pennsylvania
We are purchasing a new 13" Scamp, very minimalistic, and had thought to tow it with our Subaru Forester, but after checking things out have opted instead for our Toyota Tacoma truck. We will be picking up the Scamp the end of July and are looking forward to doing some canoeing in the Boundary Waters before bringing it back to PA. I hear the Toyota Rav 4 is a good tow vehical.

Good luck!
PatchWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchWork View Post
I hear the Toyota Rav 4 is a good tow vehical.

Good luck!
RAV4 V6 ( no longer available ), with tow prep package is good. New ones are quite useless.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleenlong View Post
What quick responses to my inquiry! At this point, I am hoping to use my current vehicle but I am seeing that might not be a possibility. It is a 2014 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium. Since I don't anticipate using the trailer full-time, I can do without a shower. Thanks for any input.
It is a really good idea to attend a fiberglass trailer rally. There is no charge and everyone loves to show off their trailers, and what personal changes that they have made to them (it's partly the reason for the gatherings). There is one in your state on: May 15-17, 2015 Spencer, IN, USA
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #15

Indiana
Tow Vehicle

Well, my research convinced me that if I was serious about this plan, I had the wrong car. So this is my new car. It is rated to pull 1500# and I like it a lot. Now I think I will check out that rally in Spencer in May. What a helpful group of people. I look forward to the day we get to meet. My new car's name? "The Scrabbler"
Old 04-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #16

Indiana
Well my research revealed that I would need to replace my vehicle with one that could tow a trailer and I bought her today. Meet "The Scrabbler". I am pretty excited about this adventure and feel my retirement plan is coming together!
Attached Thumbnails
H2Q_023.jpg