electric vs. propane - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-28-2017, 09:53 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Cathi's Avatar
 
Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSURRATT View Post
Hi,
I am new to the fiberglass community and also wanting to join the exciting world of camping. My wife an I have a small beach house and our vacations seem to always become work. Anyway, I have been reading about all the differant fg campers in the 17' range with wet bath, we both really like the lil snoozy and are planning a trip to the manufacturer. My question is and i'm sure this has been asked before but i couldn't find it when searching.
Is just having electric okay?
Thanks in advance and i have really enjoyed reading all of the post from around the camping world here.
Mark from Greensboro NC
Do you plan to travel a good deal and see quite a bit? Then I can only suggest not getting electric only. Places that have electric can fill the electric sites. Electric only, as some have tried to say, is very limiting. You also cannot depend upon it to be working properly everywhere you go. We have been shut down by our EMS, which monitors the electric, quite a few times. We do use our trailer a great deal. If you don't plan to use one much, then electric only is more reasonable, at least to us. I would not want to do without propane.
__________________

__________________
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:13 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Posts: 1,389
TUA- your post wasnt offensive at ALL in any manner. The "OP" wanted opinions and we all gave them. Anybody that claims an opinion is a "lame excuse" needs to be booted from a forum in my opinion because it can discourage a LOT of very "good reasons" from posting. But I've found you're gonna have "those kinds" of people everywhere you go- they're right and everybody else is wrong.

FWIW, nice to see another "Happier Camper" poster here!! I follow them on IG and that is ONE unique little camper. I'd LOVE to see one up close here in Tennessee!

You're right- LIFE IS SHORT- be happy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
hahaha I think it's the other way around. Some very defensive propane people here! lol I surely didn't mean to offend propane users. I was just stating some comments I heard and facts I looked up......

lighten up guys, life is too short! We are all on the same team here trying to help each other out, hopefully by presenting facts and our experiences to those who ask, so they can make their own educated choices.
__________________

__________________
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:37 AM   #45
Senior Member
 
Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Posts: 1,033
My Scamp is "All Electric" except for the hot water tankless heater on the tongue.
My wife did not want LP inside the trailer, but all outside seems to be OK.
Hot water (at least quickly) would take a lot of power on electric, but it you had a little time you could use a Hot Rod in the gas water heater.
I have an Attwood (I think) without the electric some one can have, but tle last time I offered it the freight was more than the person wanted pay.
You could install the electric heater if you wanted.
__________________
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:42 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Posts: 1,389
I use the "HottRod". It was the 'final straw' that convinced me to remove my propane tank and go all electric. Yes, it's slower than propane, but we plug it in the first thing when we get to a campground and by the time we need the hot water, it's there. SO simple to use. My Atwood was the one where you have to light it from the outside of my Scamp. During rain and/or wind, it was a nightmare! No more! So propane or no, I wont be without another electric-capable water heater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
My Scamp is "All Electric" except for the hot water tankless heater on the tongue.
My wife did not want LP inside the trailer, but all outside seems to be OK.
Hot water (at least quickly) would take a lot of power on electric, but it you had a little time you could use a Hot Rod in the gas water heater.
I have an Attwood (I think) without the electric some one can have, but tle last time I offered it the freight was more than the person wanted pay.
You could install the electric heater if you wanted.
__________________
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #47
Junior Member
 
Carlcivi's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
Posts: 26
I agree. I only have a gas HWH. I have to convert it to electric.
__________________
Carlcivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post

lighten up guys, life is too short! We are all on the same team here trying to help each other out, hopefully by presenting facts and our experiences to those who ask, so they can make their own educated choices.
Just checking posts and realized that my tone of words was taken far differently than I wrote it to be. I wrote it in a laughing, in jest tone as I saw it. As it reads to some, and after re-reading it, I can see how it sounded harsh and pointed at tua. I have personally apologized to him and will check my tone and word choice with heavy scrutiny. I really thought I wrote it with tua's first words in his reply, "Lighten up guys, life is too short! Sorry
__________________
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
rbryan's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Posts: 762
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
Just checking posts and realized that my tone of words was taken far differently than I wrote it to be. I wrote it in a laughing, in jest tone as I saw it. As it reads to some, and after re-reading it, I can see how it sounded harsh and pointed at tua. I have personally apologized to him and will check my tone and word choice with heavy scrutiny. I really thought I wrote it with tua's first words in his reply, "Lighten up guys, life is too short! Sorry
Excellent.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:01 AM   #50
Senior Member
 
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Posts: 1,389
Good response Vtec! I can relate. I too am too "blunt" with words sometimes. Which in turn, has caused me to be "Chewed out, chewed up and spit out"! What's written without being in person can be so EASILY taken 180 deg from what is meant. I find myself going back and editing some of my posts before clicking on "Submit reply" because when I reread it, I can see how that sometimes what I've written DOES sound antagonistic. The WORST thing I've seen happen, is to respond sometimes to something you dont like in a "knee-jerk" fashion. That gets me in more trouble than anything.

All-in-all, it takes a man/woman to admit they're wrong and apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
Just checking posts and realized that my tone of words was taken far differently than I wrote it to be. I wrote it in a laughing, in jest tone as I saw it. As it reads to some, and after re-reading it, I can see how it sounded harsh and pointed at tua. I have personally apologized to him and will check my tone and word choice with heavy scrutiny. I really thought I wrote it with tua's first words in his reply, "Lighten up guys, life is too short! Sorry
__________________
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
Steve L.'s Avatar
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Posts: 1,688
Registry
There is the alleged cowboy saying "Smile when you say that, partner!". Much meaning is lost when one isn't face-to-face. I load up on "smileys" in my post when I'm teasing. I think they help if the recipient has a sense of humor at least somewhat close to mine.
__________________
Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:18 AM   #52
Moderator
 
Pam Garlow's Avatar
 
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Posts: 3,202
Registry
I'm an 'electric only' person myself. But I'm still working and only camping on weekends, with a large group of vintage campers. We all like our 'lectric heat for sure!Here in Michigan, we have a large amount of campgrounds with electric hookups. Price point is higher for sure too! But once I'm retired and travelling more, I'm sure my camping style will be changing to include propane/solar for cost savings on those campsite fees. Good information in this thread.
__________________
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:28 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
likeair2me's Avatar
 
Name: KAY
Trailer: 1981 SCAMP 13
Missouri
Posts: 364
Registry
[QUOTE=tua;647224]...And for the record - I'm not a guy nor am I opposed to using propane. In fact, the only reason I don't have it is because my tt didn't come with it (I bought a showroom model), but it is sold as an accessory ...QUOTE]

Tua, Does the Happier Camper design allow for a removable propane cooking unit to be used outside the camper? It looks like everything inside can be indoor/outdoor, but I was wondering about the propane cooking units. They have slick videos on their site, but not a lot on how those puzzle pieces fit together.
__________________
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:28 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Posts: 398
Coming late to the fray- very satisfied all electric LilSnoozy iwner here. We spent June getting to and touring Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, and the port guys for the ferries were always happy when we told them we were all electric. Apparently they have to further inspect if there is Propane to make sure it's safe???
I am wanting to take off again and have only been back in FL since the 2nd. Unfortunately something happened with our tow vehicle and it refuses to shift out of first. Have to get that fixed. Then can head for cooler climes again.
__________________
That's my job. I read...and I know things
Mitzi Agnew-Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
rbryan's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Posts: 762
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
We spent June getting to and touring Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, and the port guys for the ferries were always happy when we told them we were all electric. Apparently they have to further inspect if there is Propane to make sure it's safe???
They just have to make sure the propane is turned off - regulations. Part of the theory is that since Propane is heavier than air, leaking gas could drift below into the machinery of the ferry and start a fire. Fire prevention and suppression is of more importance on a ship than anywhere else, because you can't flee to safety. I've not heard of RV propane tanks ever causing a fire on a ferry, but the regs are there.

None of that however truly addresses the fact that propane is generally a safe, portable and versatile energy source, because it is. And, we can camp anywhere for longer periods than all electric.

Have enough solar to make sufficient power, or a generator and gasoline, and that equation changes - but at a cost.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Posts: 1,389
The irony of it all. If they're all that strict, then THAT is why you've never heard of RV propane tanks causing a fire on a ferry. Think about it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
....... I've not heard of RV propane tanks ever causing a fire on a ferry, but the regs are there.
__________________

__________________
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
propane


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Propane & Electric vs Just Electric Wallo Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 75 03-06-2014 05:24 PM
Changing a 6 Gallon Propane Water Heater to Electric also. TravelRN Modifications, Alterations and Updates 10 01-31-2011 01:57 PM
All electric, or gas and electric? Homer Teitsma Electrical | Charging, Systems, Solar and Generators 24 10-07-2007 11:10 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.