electric vs. propane - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2017, 09:11 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Following is from a Canadian study and is in line with what I've read previously. And, as noted in earlier posts, the propane furnace and the propane fridge exhaust to the outside, not the interior of the trailer. If you cook on a propane stove, vapour will be released, mainly from the food, not the propane used.
This'll give you something to discuss around the fire:

In another project done some years ago, household occupancy was studied to determine the moisture production by people and the input rate of moisture for several types of household activities.4 Consideration was given to the activities of a family of four; it was found that although the activities of the residents may vary, the amount of water vapour produced by metabolic processes such as respiration and perspiration will average about 0.2 litres per hour or five litres per day. This is 1.25 litres per person per day.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:50 PM   #42

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
" I was curious about the comment from the poster who said propane didn't give off moisture, people breathing did. So I looked it up. The gas company propane 101 manuals state that propane gives off moisture. "

Burning any hydrocarbon based fuel gives off moisture. When it is controlled, this moisture is released outside your camper or enclosure (home, car, whatever). Burning gasoline generates moisture which is released out the tailpipe of the car, rather than into the interior of the car. Heating your home with natural gas releases moisture out the chimney, rather than into your home. So does a propane furnace and propane refrigerator. on a camper. Now portable propane heaters used indoors do generate a lot of moisture as will cooking with propane indoors. Portable propane heaters is a bigger problem as they tend to run longer than cooking time. And humans release a lot of moisture too, as others have noted.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:53 PM   #43

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSURRATT View Post
Hi,
I am new to the fiberglass community and also wanting to join the exciting world of camping. My wife an I have a small beach house and our vacations seem to always become work. Anyway, I have been reading about all the differant fg campers in the 17' range with wet bath, we both really like the lil snoozy and are planning a trip to the manufacturer. My question is and i'm sure this has been asked before but i couldn't find it when searching.
Is just having electric okay?
Thanks in advance and i have really enjoyed reading all of the post from around the camping world here.
Mark from Greensboro NC
Do you plan to travel a good deal and see quite a bit? Then I can only suggest not getting electric only. Places that have electric can fill the electric sites. Electric only, as some have tried to say, is very limiting. You also cannot depend upon it to be working properly everywhere you go. We have been shut down by our EMS, which monitors the electric, quite a few times. We do use our trailer a great deal. If you don't plan to use one much, then electric only is more reasonable, at least to us. I would not want to do without propane.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:13 AM   #44

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
TUA- your post wasnt offensive at ALL in any manner. The "OP" wanted opinions and we all gave them. Anybody that claims an opinion is a "lame excuse" needs to be booted from a forum in my opinion because it can discourage a LOT of very "good reasons" from posting. But I've found you're gonna have "those kinds" of people everywhere you go- they're right and everybody else is wrong.

FWIW, nice to see another "Happier Camper" poster here!! I follow them on IG and that is ONE unique little camper. I'd LOVE to see one up close here in Tennessee!

You're right- LIFE IS SHORT- be happy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
hahaha I think it's the other way around. Some very defensive propane people here! lol I surely didn't mean to offend propane users. I was just stating some comments I heard and facts I looked up......

lighten up guys, life is too short! We are all on the same team here trying to help each other out, hopefully by presenting facts and our experiences to those who ask, so they can make their own educated choices.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:37 AM   #45

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
My Scamp is "All Electric" except for the hot water tankless heater on the tongue.
My wife did not want LP inside the trailer, but all outside seems to be OK.
Hot water (at least quickly) would take a lot of power on electric, but it you had a little time you could use a Hot Rod in the gas water heater.
I have an Attwood (I think) without the electric some one can have, but tle last time I offered it the freight was more than the person wanted pay.
You could install the electric heater if you wanted.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:42 AM   #46

I use the "HottRod". It was the 'final straw' that convinced me to remove my propane tank and go all electric. Yes, it's slower than propane, but we plug it in the first thing when we get to a campground and by the time we need the hot water, it's there. SO simple to use. My Atwood was the one where you have to light it from the outside of my Scamp. During rain and/or wind, it was a nightmare! No more! So propane or no, I wont be without another electric-capable water heater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
My Scamp is "All Electric" except for the hot water tankless heater on the tongue.
My wife did not want LP inside the trailer, but all outside seems to be OK.
Hot water (at least quickly) would take a lot of power on electric, but it you had a little time you could use a Hot Rod in the gas water heater.
I have an Attwood (I think) without the electric some one can have, but tle last time I offered it the freight was more than the person wanted pay.
You could install the electric heater if you wanted.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #47

Name: Carl
Trailer: Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
I agree. I only have a gas HWH. I have to convert it to electric.
Carlcivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #48

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post

lighten up guys, life is too short! We are all on the same team here trying to help each other out, hopefully by presenting facts and our experiences to those who ask, so they can make their own educated choices.
Just checking posts and realized that my tone of words was taken far differently than I wrote it to be. I wrote it in a laughing, in jest tone as I saw it. As it reads to some, and after re-reading it, I can see how it sounded harsh and pointed at tua. I have personally apologized to him and will check my tone and word choice with heavy scrutiny. I really thought I wrote it with tua's first words in his reply, "Lighten up guys, life is too short! Sorry
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #49

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
Just checking posts and realized that my tone of words was taken far differently than I wrote it to be. I wrote it in a laughing, in jest tone as I saw it. As it reads to some, and after re-reading it, I can see how it sounded harsh and pointed at tua. I have personally apologized to him and will check my tone and word choice with heavy scrutiny. I really thought I wrote it with tua's first words in his reply, "Lighten up guys, life is too short! Sorry
Excellent.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:01 AM   #50

Good response Vtec! I can relate. I too am too "blunt" with words sometimes. Which in turn, has caused me to be "Chewed out, chewed up and spit out"! What's written without being in person can be so EASILY taken 180 deg from what is meant. I find myself going back and editing some of my posts before clicking on "Submit reply" because when I reread it, I can see how that sometimes what I've written DOES sound antagonistic. The WORST thing I've seen happen, is to respond sometimes to something you dont like in a "knee-jerk" fashion. That gets me in more trouble than anything.

All-in-all, it takes a man/woman to admit they're wrong and apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
Old 06-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #51

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
There is the alleged cowboy saying "Smile when you say that, partner!". Much meaning is lost when one isn't face-to-face. I load up on "smileys" in my post when I'm teasing. I think they help if the recipient has a sense of humor at least somewhat close to mine.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:18 AM   #52

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I'm an 'electric only' person myself. But I'm still working and only camping on weekends, with a large group of vintage campers. We all like our 'lectric heat for sure!Here in Michigan, we have a large amount of campgrounds with electric hookups. Price point is higher for sure too! But once I'm retired and travelling more, I'm sure my camping style will be changing to include propane/solar for cost savings on those campsite fees. Good information in this thread.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:28 AM   #53

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
[QUOTE=tua;647224]...And for the record - I'm not a guy nor am I opposed to using propane. In fact, the only reason I don't have it is because my tt didn't come with it (I bought a showroom model), but it is sold as an accessory ...QUOTE]

Tua, Does the Happier Camper design allow for a removable propane cooking unit to be used outside the camper? It looks like everything inside can be indoor/outdoor, but I was wondering about the propane cooking units. They have slick videos on their site, but not a lot on how those puzzle pieces fit together.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:28 AM   #54

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Coming late to the fray- very satisfied all electric LilSnoozy iwner here. We spent June getting to and touring Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, and the port guys for the ferries were always happy when we told them we were all electric. Apparently they have to further inspect if there is Propane to make sure it's safe???
I am wanting to take off again and have only been back in FL since the 2nd. Unfortunately something happened with our tow vehicle and it refuses to shift out of first. Have to get that fixed. Then can head for cooler climes again.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #55

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
We spent June getting to and touring Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, and the port guys for the ferries were always happy when we told them we were all electric. Apparently they have to further inspect if there is Propane to make sure it's safe???
They just have to make sure the propane is turned off - regulations. Part of the theory is that since Propane is heavier than air, leaking gas could drift below into the machinery of the ferry and start a fire. Fire prevention and suppression is of more importance on a ship than anywhere else, because you can't flee to safety. I've not heard of RV propane tanks ever causing a fire on a ferry, but the regs are there.

None of that however truly addresses the fact that propane is generally a safe, portable and versatile energy source, because it is. And, we can camp anywhere for longer periods than all electric.

Have enough solar to make sufficient power, or a generator and gasoline, and that equation changes - but at a cost.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #56

The irony of it all. If they're all that strict, then THAT is why you've never heard of RV propane tanks causing a fire on a ferry. Think about it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
....... I've not heard of RV propane tanks ever causing a fire on a ferry, but the regs are there.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #57

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We live in a rural area and a cold climate . 90% of the people in my area use propane to heat their homes , dry clothes , cook and heat domestic water . We heat with wood which is far more dangerous than propane. Homes in our area are not burning down or exploding on a regular basis , in fact it's a rare occurrence.
I have never understood the paranoia in the FG trailer community over having propane in a trailer.
The loss of electric power in our area is a real problem.
We lose power a couple times a month and for periods of up to a week. If we had to totally depend on electricity , we would be living in a cold / frozen dark home much of the winter.
People drive their cars on crowded freeways with 20 gallons of gasoline in their tank and think nothing if it but panic over a 20 lb propane tank on the front of their trailer.
This unsubstantiated fear of propane make absolutely no sense to me.
I have a healthy respect for safety but there is a inherent risk with any source of energy
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #58

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
The irony of it all. If they're all that strict, then THAT is why you've never heard of RV propane tanks causing a fire on a ferry. Think about it.....
Normally, a regulation comes about because an accident or incident occurred that it's trying to address.

An example: many years ago I was an Air Traffic Controller. The controller's main regulation was a huge manual called the 7110.65. It contained pretty much every rule and piece of phraseology required. But where did all this content come from? Much of it was added because of an aviation incident or accident, and the rule was inserted to prevent it in the future. The 7110 grew constantly throughout my career, as new incidents or accidents required additions to the rules.

Some regulations come about because there's an assumption of hazard, so they are considered "good ideas". The problem with these is that they are often found later to be no concern at all. One example is "no cell phone use while refueling" - addressing a "hazard" that is a complete myth, and has been thoroughly debunked.

Of course there is no record of a ferry fire being caused by propane when it's shut off, but I wasn't addressing it post regulation. Think about it....
Old 07-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #59

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Let us not forget our 12 volt battery, lot of potential energy there. Have seen dents in a car hood plus some nasty gashes in arm after jumper cable spark explosion. Rare as frog hairs but they do happen. Think this was a result of charging (which generated hydrogen gas) and then adding jumper cables. Spark set off gas which blew top of battery apart.

Many of us have 1000 or 1500 watt inverters or converters, I have seen a large cable glowing cherry red from a shorted line. If that wire had been in contact with something flammable? And 110 volt shore power has some dangers too if safety and maintenance is ignored.

I guess I figure whatever "dangers" modern energy sources offer they are considerably less than say kerosene lanterns, candles and wood stoves of the past. Not to mention modern toilet paper doesn't have splinters and is less prone to attract vermin than corn cobs so right there we have increased our safety buy like 100% since the 1800's :-)

You know I have slept in my car with a candle in a coffee can to keep the chill off so a camper with room to stand and a real bed is pretty nice. Add in electric lights or gas cooking/heat and I'm positively spoiled. Not that I smell spoiled that is just wood smoke from campfire.

Toss in Fresh food in a fridge or ice chest instead of nothing but freeze dried or dried stuff and I figure I'm getting to eat like a king. Yep if camper blows up or electrocutes me or goes up in a blaze of glory (electrical or propane fire) I guess I'll just have to figure I played the odds and lost. I just hope I go with hotdogs left in the fridge instead of those rib eye steaks. Hate to have missed those to have hot dogs.

Yes my tongue is tired from being so firmly in my cheek.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:59 AM   #60

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
There was a recent arson fire very close to my house, started by a guy with gasoline, but I heard the explosion when the propane tank went up (we don't have natural gas here so people use propane and have big tanks of it near or even right next to the house). Scary! But note he didn't start the fire with propane. Gasoline is probably much more dangerous. Kind of a pain to shut off propane on an open ferry (I get it in the enclosed ones) if I'm running the fridge on it but I understand why they worry.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane