EllPea back, just saying hello! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-04-2019, 10:26 AM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
EllPea back, just saying hello!

My little Lil Bigfoot has had a long vacation, as we have not used her in over two years! I my defense, we bought a new house, but spent several months just painting and reflooring and then moving.

The good news is that she now has a clean, comfy, concrete pad behind a nice gate, instead of the gravel drive where weeds tried to grow around her wheels.

I am still strategizing some kind of shade/cover for her, as she really deserves a spot free of sun and rain. For now we'll avoid putting up something permanent, because in the long run we may adopt her out in favor of a BF 17 with back corner bath so I can keep a bed made all the time AND have a comfy booth AND the other indoor conveniences we don't currently have.

But as everyone here knows, that BFs selll very quickly, and I was lucky to get into Oregon in time to get this one. Plus, we would have to go with a bigger tow vehicle (our Volvo V70 pulls this one nicely, and the drama of getting all the preps and hookups done were outlined here in detail several years ago).

So that little plan is on the back burner at the moment, but still very much on the cooker.

Anyway, that is the current status of our Fiberglass RV operation, and I look forward to digging back in and seeing what everyone else is up to!

Best,
EllPea in CA
EllPea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:18 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome back! Have to say I wondered what had become of you every time a Lil Bigfoot came up on the forum. Glad you are well. Congrats on the new house, and best wishes for more egg-citing adventures!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:51 AM   #3

CA
Thanks for the welcome back, Jon in AZ! I've been wondering about all of the interesting purchases, repairs, remodels, etc. that everyone was doing, and can't wait to catch up! Anything new happening with your rv?
Old 05-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #4

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Hello again!

I have a concrete slab for my Scamp, but no permanent cover either. I purchased one of these Harbor Freights Car Canopies.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-...opy-63054.html

I screwed every joint together with a sheet metal screw, and I bought 6 buckets at the dollar store and filled them with concrete for the legs. I also added metal braces between my house wall and the three uprights on that side. It has held up well in fairly moderate winds. In the harsh Redding, California sun I think it lasted about 2 years. I replaced the cover with one from Amazon, reusing the old frame, in October 2016 and was still in good shape, but then it collapsed under wet and very heavy snow last February (unusual for here).

The one from Amazon is currently $97.99 ( https://smile.amazon.com/Caravan-Can.../dp/B0032UY0C4 ) I have Amazon Prime, so there's no shipping cost for me, and possibly no sales tax either.

I have a Harbor Freight 25% off coupon for Mother's day, which would bring the price down to 90 bucks plus tax. Either way I'll reuse about 90% of the old frame.

I have no connection to Harbor Freight or amazon other than being a customer. I have an extra coupon for Mother's day which I'd be happy to send you if you PM me your address, or you can go to your nearest store and probably get one for the asking, or maybe buy a $1.99 screwdriver and they'll stuff a coupon in your bag.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:08 AM   #5

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I had a
Carport installed for my Escape 19. Sun and rain were not the issue but the nasty stuff that dropped on top from the trees. Had to use Bar Keepers Friend to het it off.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:03 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If your town/neighborhood allows it, I had two Carolina carports installed for my trailers. If you have a straight shot into the carport, then a 12 foot wide unit is fine. If access is difficult, you might need the next size up, 18 foot wide. Basically they come in widths, and they add sections to make them as long as you need. I'd get one long enough for your possible future rig, say 12 foot wide by 21 foot long. Height can be whatever you need.

I got the vertical roof version, with half side walls. Mine has 10 foot side wall height, could have gotten by with 9 foot.
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:05 PM   #7

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Ellpea, even I have heard of you! A very warm welcome back to you, yours and your little BF!

"K"
Old 05-06-2019, 09:57 PM   #8

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Ellpea, even I have heard of you! A very warm welcome back to you, yours and your little BF!

"K"
Kai, I have heard of you too! Thanks for the welcome back!
LP
Old 05-06-2019, 09:59 PM   #9

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
If your town/neighborhood allows it, I had two Carolina carports installed for my trailers. If you have a straight shot into the carport, then a 12 foot wide unit is fine. If access is difficult, you might need the next size up, 18 foot wide. Basically they come in widths, and they add sections to make them as long as you need. I'd get one long enough for your possible future rig, say 12 foot wide by 21 foot long. Height can be whatever you need.

I got the vertical roof version, with half side walls. Mine has 10 foot side wall height, could have gotten by with 9 foot.
Thrifty Bill, something like this is definitely on my wishlist! Thanks for the details!
EllPea
Old 05-06-2019, 10:02 PM   #10

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I had a
Carport installed for my Escape 19. Sun and rain were not the issue but the nasty stuff that dropped on top from the trees. Had to use Bar Keepers Friend to het it off.
Bob, right now I don't even have the nasty stuff, but this little sweetheart still deserves some shelter (after 30 years)!
EllPea
Old 05-06-2019, 10:07 PM   #11

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post
Hello again!

I have a concrete slab for my Scamp, but no permanent cover either. I purchased one of these Harbor Freights Car Canopies.

Harold
Harold, I see several people in my neighborhood using this kind of canopy, and have even considered the concrete inabucket solution to hold one down and achieve proper height. So this idea is definitely on the table! How far out of Redding do you travel in these hot summers?

EllPea
Old 05-06-2019, 11:10 PM   #12

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
How far out of Redding do you travel in these hot summers?

EllPea
Hi EllPea,

I bought my Scamp in 2017, and sadly have only taken it out once. Last July I had to evacuate from the CARR fire and took the Scamp to Fall River Mills, about 70 miles northeast in the mountains. Not having much time to prepare before being evacuated, I actually spent four days there in a motel. Not exactly a great camping story.

Hopefully I can get my act together and do some camping this summer.

Best,

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #13

CA
Quote:

Bill, we do have a pretty straight shot back there, and I think the carport you mention is allowed, as I've seen others in this neighborhood. I would like a longer one, so I could stash bicycles and a few other items under there as well.

We moved from a 3 car garage to a 2 car garage, so wound up needing more storage, and built a 10 x 12 shed farther back, behind where the trailer goes. I'm also thinking about somehow making the carport one unit with the shed... extending the roof forward... just food for lying awake nights and grinding teeth until the perfect solution presents itself!

EllPea
Old 05-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #14

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I have one Carolina Carport that is a garage, basically they enclose a carport. Turned out a lot nicer than I would have thought. I had gotten quotes to get a stick built garage, bids were higher than what I paid for the house in 2004. Wasn't happening.
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:09 PM   #15

CA
Quote:
I have one Carolina Carport that is a garage, basically they enclose a carport. Turned out a lot nicer than I would have thought. I had gotten quotes to get a stick built garage, bids were higher than what I paid for the house in 2004. Wasn't happening.
Is that a metal building then? I really wanted a metal shed with a long carport roof, but hubby was committed to the idea of a wooden building.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:25 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
Is that a metal building then? I really wanted a metal shed with a long carport roof, but hubby was committed to the idea of a wooden building.
One good thing about a metal shed/carport is that there's a lot less maintenance to it over a wooden one....although the "cuteness" design is lost. I'd go with the biggest footprint you may need down the road, the height can be added to pretty easily if needed. Of course nothing says you can't have both . BTW, welcome back.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:59 PM   #17

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
One good thing about a metal shed/carport is that there's a lot less maintenance to it over a wooden one....although the "cuteness" design is lost... . BTW, welcome back.

Whoa, please don't tell the hubby that his preference for a wooden shed is "cuteness" related! That's supposed to be MY curse!

(Thanks for the welcome back!)

EllPea
Old 05-07-2019, 10:29 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I was out in my tin shed in the back yard the other day and noted that a pail full of fertilizer and two other buckets were pretty much full of water.

I figure I'll just sell the house "as is".
Old 05-09-2019, 01:48 PM   #19

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I was out in my tin shed in the back yard the other day and noted that a pail full of fertilizer and two other buckets were pretty much full of water.

I figure I'll just sell the house "as is".
BUMMER!