Feeling like Veruca Salt! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #21

Name: Gary
Trailer: 1976 13' Scamp
Michigan
I followed a link or two... when my son steps into the camper there is some movement of the axle...maybe an inch to inch and a half. Jacking it up to where the tire rotates to full weight on it... maybe a half inch or so???
Anyone know an axle shop near 49417?
I put in a quote request for a place in Zeeland that came up on BBB website.
boats19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #22

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
You Boats and your brother are some adventurers. I thought I was crazy, my wife pretty much said so, but two years ago I bought our Scamp sight unseen, and drove 1000 miles in winter to pick it up. Vermont to Delaware, one day down, buy it, spend the night in a motel, second day back home. It is 30 years younger, and I was able to learn it's whole history before I bought it, and the pictures on facebook were genuine. You drove twice as far and your Scamp was well aged, a little bit past its prime.

Good luck, it sound like you will be enjoying every minute with it, even while working on it!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:03 PM   #23

Michigan
Yes, my brother was quite a trouper! He took the front lower bunk while I shared the double with Cubbie!
Old 02-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #24

Michigan
I Just posted some pics. Now the work begins! I've already pulled the battery and the cushions. I'll be yanking out the wiring next. I ordered several new parts for the tongue including a 7 pin hookup. I'll be adding a porch light by the door and one in the front. The only thing 110VAC in the unit is the under cabinet light. I'll be taking that out. I'll be installing a converter and run all the lights off 12VDC LED's. There are no AC outlets so I'll put a few of those in for convenience too.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:47 AM   #25

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
Was this a salvage job? Sounds like a major remake of the trailer!
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #26

Michigan
To answer your question...I don't know. The unit was in better-than-good condition when I picked it up. Unfortunately whoever cobbled the wiring together was not particular about attention to detail. I still can't figure out the battery... It being taller than the cabinet it was in. I suspect it was put in recently but not well. The issue with the loose cabinets, missing rivets and broken door were my fault. I chose to tow it to get the tires replaced rather than put it on a flatbed, but time played a factor with that decision.
But from here on in, I think of it as a labor of love! I have the skills and patience to do what is needed (except welding) and I have sons and brothers who like this sort of thing...
Old 02-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #27

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Pictures are akways helpful.
Outside looks really good and inside not bad either.
Yes, really common to have 'interesting' wiring jobs on the oldies,
Is the floor rotted, I see some water damage?
Sounds like you have the enthusiasm and knowledge to whip it into shape, have fun and you will have an amzing trailer by the end,
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:25 PM   #28

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
Well Boats19, best of luck in your restoration. I am not skillful and it's nice that you are. Wiring too is not my fancy. I like making small mods in our beloved Scamp 16. It's in like new condition and my bride just finished all the curtains and covering all the many cushins. All came out truly beautiful! Spring and summer will be fun to show it off. May 27 we are off to Lonesboro MN for a high Scamp gathering!
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:15 AM   #29

Michigan
Just a quick update... While working on the tail lights yesterday I found the second "New" tire that I moved to the spare position...Flat! LOL, and life is still good!