Finally found (and got) my Scamp! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I think this may be under-the-radar since the tow vehicle is not mentioned in the thread title. I won't tell if you don't...
Naa it didnt some of us were just temporarily lost for words as to what further one can say today in regards to safe towing practises and especially in regards to a trailer at least 2500lbs over the cars towing ability.

Ken welcome! I am happy you found a great trailer that fits your needs but sure hope you will find yourself a vehicle better suited to tow that size of trailer safely for your sake and those you are sharing the road with. Most experienced towers know that trailer brakes can and do fail.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #22
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Most experienced towers know that trailer brakes can and do fail.
????????

Carol?? Ken is one step ahead of you. He has already tested his combo without brakes. Works fine. Relax.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
????????

Carol?? Ken is one step ahead of you. He has already tested his combo without brakes. Works fine. Relax.
Aw c'mon. You are spoiling all the scarey fun. The safety posse has a new victim and they aren't gonna let loose until they get their kicks.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #24
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
16' Scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
There is a 16 ft. Scamp for sale on the St. George, UT Craigslist.

Thanks Emily! I had contacted the owner a couple of days ago. The camper sounds good, but it hasn't been used in 11 years; just stored. Not ever owning a camper before (tent only), I'm not sure what kind of problems I would run into and I'm about 2500 miles away.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1
????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Aw c'mon. You are spoiling all the scarey fun. The safety posse has a new victim and they aren't gonna let loose until they get their kicks.

Glad to see that nothings changed and as usual one of "good guys" is doing the usual "go for it" and has the humours side kick as well to egg it all on.

MC1 I didnt miss the post regarding the test performed. Perhaps you and Thomas should consider proposing the testing used by the OP as the new SAE J2807 Towing Standard. The automakers would love you for it. Pretty sure you would have no issues with getting them all to agree to doing that version & we all would have a lot more vehicles with specs good enough to tow even the heaviest of our fiberglass trailers
Old 05-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #26
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Quote:MC1 I didnt miss the post regarding the test performed. Perhaps you and Thomas should consider proposing the testing used by the OP as the new SAE J2807 Towing Standard. The automakers would love you for it. Pretty sure you would have no issues with getting them all to agree to doing that version & we all would have a lot more vehicles with specs good enough to tow even the heaviest of our fiberglass trailers
Sorry Carol, speaking for myself I would not be qualified to approach the SAE folks.

You may be interested to know that the SAE team did invite, and had Mr. T from Can Am attend their planning meetings as a consultant re J2807.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #27

Quote:
You may be interested to know that the SAE team did invite, and had Mr. T from Can Am attend their planning meetings as a consultant re J2807.

Oh sure, but did the SAE team have Carol's permission? She is evidently both a lawyer and a vehicle development expert.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #28

Registry
Quote:
and had Mr. T from Can Am attend their planning meetings as a consultant re J2807.
There we have it the good old CanAM plug right on cue.

In this situation I would actually suggest that the OP might what to have a talk with Mr. T. in regards to this particular tug set up - after all even Mr. T. has his limits.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Oh sure, but did the SAE team have Carol's permission? She is evidently both a lawyer and a vehicle development expert.
As mentioned yesterday there is a real clear pattern in regards to how these types of posts go south.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #30

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
CanAm Limits = Not Defined?

Quote:
There we have it the good old CanAM plug right on cue.

In this situation I would actually suggest that the OP might what to have a talk with Mr. T. in regards to this particular tug set up - after all even Mr. T. has his limits.

Geeeshhh.... This one did skate under the radar.

But that said, IMHO, it's apparent that Mr. T(?) @ CanAm knows no limits and sees the next bad idea as just another way to make more bucks and get his name out in front of more potential customers that are willing to consider him smarter than all the automotive engineers in the rest of the world.

BTW: Is it true that some law offices consider him a "Rainmaker"

Old 05-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #31
MC1

Ontario
Quote:

I also think that is a great idea knowing that Mr. T has the good experience towing with cars.

Limits.... yes! When he set up our Nissan van to tow the 23 he suggested the van was good for a 25' max. The vehicle's limitation was the 150HP/180TQ V6 engine. Looking back he was right. The van worked great in every way as a TV but getting up to highway speed for me, was just acceptable.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #32

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
some of us were just temporarily lost for words as to what further one can say today
Hi Carol! I knew I could count on you. Glad to see the laryngitis was only temporary.
Quote:
Aw c'mon. You are spoiling all the scarey fun. The safety posse has a new victim
Hi Tom! Hail, Hail, the gang's all here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Philly View Post
First, thank you! I've already gotten a taste of the warm community that surrounds fiberglass RVs, and I'm glad to finally be a part of it.
Hi Ken! Before all this warmth gets too spicy, I just want to interject my usual Public Service Announcement. O.K. that's taken care of.
We all know the script, and we've all hit our marks and recited our lines.
The next time we want to broadcast a rerun, can we make it Gilligan's Island? I've seen this one too much already.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #33

Before this thread gets closed, I just want to point out that I was the first person to mention to the OP that he may be stretching the towing capability of his vehicle.

No mention of death, lawsuits, canceled insurance, repeating of debunked urban legends, or tin foil hats.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #34

Name: Chris
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
I'm so excited to have finally found a 1991 16' Scamp on the east coast in great condition
Whohoo! another scamp in Philadelphia! Welcome neighbor! Let me know if you need tips for winter storage!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #35

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Could it be that we're going to get the first real court test or just one junked Prius? Hmmm. Or maybe he'll actually get away with it. Time will tell.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Could it be that we're going to get the first real court test or just one junked Prius? Hmmm. Or maybe he'll actually get away with it. Time will tell.
If I was a little kid in Colorado, I'd stay off the highways. At least until the posse cleans up Dodge City.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #37
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Hummmm....

In the same way folks were skeptical of our car/trailer set up too when we put it together 8 years ago.

200 towing hours later all is good and running as new.

I'd put my money on the Prius doing just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
infiniti hitch MC1.JPG  
Old 05-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #38

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Wow, this thread is still active! Thanks, safety gang!

And MC1, thanks for the support!

I'll keep you posted as it travels. So far I've towed it twice, about 120 miles total, with no difficulty. The next few weeks will be the real test. Got my solar panels and I'm ready to boondock!

Does it count as boondocking if I'm at a festival with no hookups?
Does it count as a festival if there are no hookups?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:30 AM   #39

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Does it count as boondocking if I'm at a festival with no hookups?
Does it count as a festival if there are no hookups?
I'm not sure, but I consider it camping! And that's why you own a trailer
Old 05-21-2013, 05:01 AM   #40

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Love it!
Closed Thread

Tags
scamp