finally...I'm a member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #1

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
finally...I'm a member

Joined this AM but wasn't authorized til now, I'm, Pete from Wi, not an owner yet but will be soon. Going to Madison RV show Fri, think I want a Scamp but they aren't going to be there. We'll see. Not too happy about the bed size of the Scamp, I'm 6'1"...will that be a problem? I learned about this site from a Scamp owner I talked to, love it so far!
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Peter from WI from Donna D. in Oregon. It's doubtful you'll see molded trailers at the RV show, but ya never know! Whatever you look at... talking stickies here, pay particular attention to the fit and finish. I think you're going to find it sadly lacking (in 99% of the brands). THEN, you can compare with molded and know they're ALL a better value. Can you tell I'm a bit prejudiced

Once again, welcome!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyyyyguy View Post
Joined this AM but wasn't authorized til now, I'm, Pete from Wi, not an owner yet but will be soon. Going to Madison RV show Fri, think I want a Scamp but they aren't going to be there. We'll see. Not too happy about the bed size of the Scamp, I'm 6'1"...will that be a problem? I learned about this site from a Scamp owner I talked to, love it so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hi Peter from WI from Donna D. in Oregon. It's doubtful you'll see molded trailers at the RV show, but ya never know! Whatever you look at... talking stickies here, pay particular attention to the fit and finish. I think you're going to find it sadly lacking (in 99% of the brands). THEN, you can compare with molded and know they're ALL a better value. Can you tell I'm a bit prejudiced

Once again, welcome!
Hi Donna, I'm a little concerned ordering a scamp on-line w/o seeing it first, I'm only barely familiar with the Scamp and the other contenders are only words and pictures, I've only seen a Scamp so far.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I understand your hesitancy. My suggestion is to call Scamp... and all the molded manufacturers and get names of people who have agreed to show their trailers in your area. You do need to experience first hand and personal viewing to know if you're making the right decision for yourself.

At 6'1" I think you may be happier with a Lil Snoozy or perhaps the Parkliner as both have queen size beds. Casita has a model that converts to a king and Escape has a 19' trailer with a queen. It really depends on your budget and tow vehicle limitations.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Pete,
I'm 6'2" and I am ok in my Casita which much like a Scamp.
Don't rule out Casita. They are the "other half" of that family. I don't know about Scamp but Casita people will give you the id of some Casita owners who have agreed to show their unit off. That's one way they market their units.
If you are willing to consider used, try this page:
Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
or this one too:
The Casita Club - Casita Travel Trailer Website and Forums

Gene in ND.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #6

Wisconsin
I have seen one Scamp so far a 16' and will see another tomorrow a 13', which is what I'm interested in. Thanks I need all the help I can get!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita
Registry
How about these in Craigslist
1976 Scamp
or this one
Scamp camper, easy-fun camping
or this one
2011 Scamp Camper 13' New
or this one
1998 scamp clean verry rare
Appears Craigslist has more of them than I would have thought.
Be careful with Craigslist listing though. There are some scams. If it looks too good to be true it likely is.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #8

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
to the forum Peter. When I joined a few months back a few people actually stepped forward and volunteered their trailers to view. Like others have said, many companies run referral programs and may have someone that will show you a trailer in your area. Give them all a call.
As far as your height goes I personally would be more concerned with head room than bed size. If you're on your own lying diagonal might work ok. I know different brands interior height can range from 5'10 to in the high 6's. If you use the search function I believe there's a thread on trailer heights.

Good luck your search,
Mark
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Watch out for some of the older trailers. You won't be able to stand in them. Our older Uhaul and our earlier Burro are/were OK for 6'1" hubby, but some other older ones would have him ducking.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #10

Wisconsin
still looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
How about these in Craigslist
1976 Scamp
or this one
Scamp camper, easy-fun camping
or this one
2011 Scamp Camper 13' New
or this one
1998 scamp clean verry rare
Appears Craigslist has more of them than I would have thought.
Be careful with Craigslist listing though. There are some scams. If it looks too good to be true it likely is.
Thanks Gene, will look at those, I've seen only one the company directed me to and will see another today. Not many in my area I like alot of the others. I'm an old tent camper that wants to get in out of the rain (with hard sides)

Thanks again Pete
Old 02-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #11

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Welcome Pete, I bought my U-Haul on line, E-bay, was just the way he described it, is woundedrful, nice and easy transaction. Would do it again.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #12

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
you might want to look at the "egg camper" made here in grand rapids michigan. the guy that designed it is 6foot5 inches. it costs a bit more i think about $17,000. i looked it over and the quality is very good.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Pete, We are 20 miles west of Madison (no FG at the RV show). We have our trailers nearby, in storage, if you want a look. The Scamp is a 13 with toliet, so it may not be what you want. PM me, if interested for directions.
Tony
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #14

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Pete,
Im just short of 6 ft tall and yes the bed size in our Scamp 16 ft standard, lengthwise is tight for me, it is the width (44in) when sleeping two it really gets tight.........Im just glad we bought our Scamp used, because if I would have went up to Backus last year and plunked money down i know I would have cheap'ed out and not gotten the Deluxe 16 which has the wider (54in) bed....now our thinking is remodel or get something different
Tom
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #15

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
in our teardrop the bed was only 46 inches wide, so we are use to that. now with the bigger camper, scamp 13 at least we don't have to get dressed and undressed laying down.

and with the couch in front , i can always sleep there if she gets to hogging the blankets.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #16

Wisconsin
Went to the RV show and almost bought the $290,000 bus/motor home on sale for $230,000 but they said the only way they would take my home in on trade is if it had wheels on it...darn! Did see some very nice options but nothing I found interested me as much as the Scamp. Saw a 13' Scamp private owner let me see. Nice. Sorry Tony, didn't see your post til I got home. (Probably went right past your house) Jim from Scamp called today, they conveniently have a few made up and one is just what we are looking for..."It's crunch time Honey"
Old 02-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #17

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
All right!
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #18

Name: harry
Trailer: New Parkliner owner
North Carolina
Pete- I'm BRAND NEW at fiberglass RVing, but 3 days ago, I brought home a new ParkLiner, 15', from Gibsonville,NC. Spent last night at Carolina Beach State Park, first shake down cruise. I am a HAPPY CAMPER! Brand new, with the options I got,[dual optima deep cycle batteries, dual propane tanks,AC], just under 16 grand. It has about everything I'll need, except for about a 100W solar panel on the roof! I did all the research I could, without driving all over the country, and I know dimensions and prices for new scamps,casitas,egg campers,l'il snoozies,outbacks & trilliums. you learn a TON by reading this blog! ParkLiner is 200 mis. from where I live now, and I heard about them from FGRV. I haven't downloaded any pictures yet, because I'm apparently mentally deficient or something. I plugged my camera into the laptop,Canon popped up and I transferred pictures, now I don't know where the hell they are! But, I'm 5'11", walked into my new camper wearing a fedora, and didn't come close to bumping my lid overhead. Good luck on your shopping!
harryjhere is offline   Reply With Quote