Finally introducing myself - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Finally introducing myself

Hi, I am a long-time lurker, even before I joined in 2008. I thought it was about time that I actually introduced myself.
My husband, kids and I are the proud owners of a 1978 Trillium 4500.
The trailer was my husband's grandma's, who was the original owner.
She gave us the trailer in 2007, but it had been sitting un-used for a long time before that.
At first we did a few cosmetic fix-ups. All the cushions went, except the front top bunk and we threw out the old tattered floor carpet and put down some peel and stick tiles.

In 2008 we took it on a week long vacation where we found out that it leaked. We did some temporary fixes, but knew we'd be spending time and money to get it fixed.

In the fall of 2009 my brother lived in my trailer, in my driveway for two months. The furnace and converter didn't work when we got the trailer, but we never had a need for heat before. So my brother used a space heater on the cold October nights, well until it blew something in the trailer. With the cold air outside and his warm breath inside, there was lots of condensation, which lead to mold. I ended up having to through out all but one of the cushions. Interestinly enough, the only cushion that was spared was the one original cushion we kept. I think it's because I had covered it in outdoor fabric and vinyl instead of indoor fabric.

2010 I decided it was time to do something about it. I took off the belly band, tore out the ensolite and took out the windows. The plan was to get it done that summer. However, nothing usually goes as planned and my husband had more work than normal so it didn't get done. LOL My poor neighbours had to see it sitting with a tarp over it for nearly a year (no garage).

2011 my husband and I pulled out as many of the metal pieces as we could from the belly band and I fiberglassed the whole thing. I still have to go over it once more, but then it will be done.
We took off the vent, awning attatchment and a light that went through the ceiling of back bed. We're almost done putting them back in. We still have a few things left to go.
We never would have found all the leaks if we hadn't of tore out all that ensolite. We had leaks from the windows, the vent and even the awning attachment.

Since cost is a factor, we're trying to just do a little at a time and as cheap as we can, but do it right. Hopefully we can get it done before the kids outgrow it. We have 3 kids and the middle and youngest sleep on the bottom bunk together. I don't even know if they'll fit this year as they are 6 and 9. LOL I still have to figure out what we're using for the insulation. I've looked into marine products, closed cell foam underlayment and a really considering children foam play mats since they are on sale for less than 50 cents a square foot. I have grandiose ideas for the covering of the insulation, but what actually gets put in there is anyone's guess. I have a lot of my fabric already that I picked up for $5 a bolt. It is outdoor fabrics and vinyl so they should hold up. They have dictated the colourscheme. I plan on putting in a cork floor since we had some leftover from our kitchen redo. Ideally I would like to paint all the finished fiberglass inside the trailer since we did quite a bit of patching, but not sure it will get done this year. We also need to do some electrical rewiring (my husband's area), install new lights, new or renewed cupboard doors and paint the exterior. As you can see a lot of work.

Without this forum I don't know where I'd be. I have found so much wonderful information here. So thank you to all of you with the fantastic ideas.

Barb
BarbT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Have any photos?

And

Name:   41gL2h9DCVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  17.7 KB
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Wow, Barb! You have, and have had your work cut out for you. But, it sounds like you have it under control. I agree with doing it right, even if it means having to go slowly... but I also believe in getting it camping ready so you can have fun (before your kids outgrow it). BEST wishes to you and yours. And, I also agree with what Kevin said!

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Vapor barrier

A little hint on the cushion mold aspect: always place a vapor barrier OVER the cushion or that nasty moisture will go right through it and condense on the bottom side where it touches any cold surface and water causes mold. We use a painter's drip cloth we bought at the dollar store. It doesn't have to be fancy, just waterproof.

Congrats on the new trailer and good luck with it.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:06 AM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Thanks for the warm welcome. I will eventually get around to posting some pictures. I should really take some during the process, I only took pictures the day we got it in 2007.

Barb
BarbT is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hi everyone | kaleb »