Fire Extinguisher Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #1

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Casita 16' Freedom Deluxe
Missouri
Fire Extinguisher Replacement

I have a 96 Casita 16ft Freedom Deluxe.
Need to replace the fire extinguisher.
Any ideas where I can get a new one like the little one that came with the trailer?
Glass Castle
GlassCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCastle View Post
I have a 96 Casita 16ft Freedom Deluxe.
Need to replace the fire extinguisher.
Any ideas where I can get a new one like the little one that came with the trailer?
Glass Castle
You can do that if you want, but I would trade up to a better / bigger one. And since it cost almost as much to get a refillable one inspected / refilled as buying a new one.. buying a new one is simpler and easy.

But I also recommend having one in your tow vehicle. After all, if there is a fire in your camper you need to GET OUT and not fumble around for a fire exteniser. Instead, go to the TV and grab that one.

So get TWO for $40.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:08 PM   #3

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Casita 16' Freedom Deluxe
Missouri
Thanks for the advice. Will do just that, get 2.
GlassCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You can get fire extinguishers at any hardware store.
Mount it at the door to the trailer so you can get out in an emergency, but still be able to grab the extinguisher and use it from outside.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:26 PM   #5

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Mount it at the door to the trailer so you can get out in an emergency, but still be able to grab the extinguisher and use it from outside.
Also a good idea... in fact I moved the extinguisher in my Scamp to the screen door frame by the door (and as well I carry a better one in the TV). Why Scamp choose a spot close to the stove for the thing that might put out a stove fire, I have no idea.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:31 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There are good fire extinguishers and cheap fire extinguishers. The good ones have metal valves, the cheap ones are plastic. I have a local business that recharges extinguishers and does inspections at businesses. They will only recharge the ones with metal valves. They would come to the shop where I worked once a year and do a training session where they would light a fire and we all would take turns putting it out. It was a gasoline fire so we had to be careful not to spread it. Contrary to Glenn's idea, which is a good one, I've been keeping my extinguisher just outside the camper door. We do not cook inside. I'll put another inside as I have plenty.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:40 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Here's pic of my fire extinguisher location. Was shot to show how useless those fridge/cupboard bars are, so ignore that.
Attached Thumbnails
barred - 1.jpg  
Old 03-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #8

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Got the following review from Amazon, here:

https://www.amazon.com/review/R1Y7TF...iscussionsNRPB

This is the review of the Kidde 2.5lb ABC:

DO NOT BUY THIS!!!
Current fireman, former fire extinguisher service/salesman here. I have over a decade in the industry, 1 year of which was spent refilling/repairing/selling hundreds upon hundreds of extinguishers a week for a local business in Sacramento, CA...
First things first; as a general rule, never compromise on quality when dealing with safety equipment. There is such thing as "overboard", i.e. buying a 10-lb extinguisher for your car, or a commercial grade Class-K extinguisher for your home kitchen, but a 2.5-lb (small) extinguisher like this one is not in that wheelhouse. If anything, you should get a 5-lb; they're really the smallest extinguisher you'll ever want to use on a decent size fire...
But, I digress...
Plastic parts/handles are an ABSOLUTE NO-NO on fire extinguishers. Never, under any circumstance should you trust your life/health or property to an inferior extinguisher like this one. Never, ever! They break so easily, it's almost as if they were designed to fail. I have literally seen hundreds of these particular extinguishers (Kidde brand, with plastic handle) fall apart and fail to work. Absolute garbage/inferior product that I would never recommend to anyone.
If by chance you're still reading, and appreciate a good recommendation, here it is; anything with ALL METAL parts. Amerex makes a great product (some say the best), Badger, and First Alert are also fairly decent choices that you can find at your local hardware store, or here on Amazon for a reasonable price. Recharging fire extinguishers IS an option, but usually only practical for a collection of 3 or more (depending on your local company's pricing structure). If you just have the one extinguisher, replace it every 5-6 years or so to be safe... every decade to be a rebel... and never, if you like watching things burn!
j/k Be safe out there...

P.S. The extinguishing agent (powder) inside these can settle and harden over time... For an "off the record" money saving tip; turn your extinguisher upside down and shake it every couple years. As long as you do this, and it still has pressure, it should work till you're too old to use it!
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Besides the recommendation of "shaking" the extinguisher to keep the powder loose, I've been told by a service guy to tap on the bottom with a rubber mallet. I do that with mine regularly.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Good info here, thanks.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Got the following review from Amazon, here:

https://www.amazon.com/review/R1Y7TF...iscussionsNRPB

This is the review of the Kidde 2.5lb ABC:

DO NOT BUY THIS!!!...
Seems that Amazon lumps reviews of similar products together, so the plastic head and metal head versions get the same customer ranking.

I will accept this reviewer's opinion but also point out that every camper I have ever seen came with a cheap fire extinguisher from the factory. I'm sure that is better than not having one at all, or an expired one, but of course better quality equals better chance that it will work when needed. Looks like there are good quality Kiddie extinguishers (with metal parts) for $40 or so.

So if you spend $20, $40 or more for each.. get enough and place them in the right places.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #12

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I carry 3 fire extinguishers two in the van one in front and one in the back, plus one for the trailer all are 5 pounds. I travel often on roads that are not well populated but with the number of accidents out there I've come across a few having the ability to take a fire down may save someone.

The other thing is here in BC if I use the extinguisher at an accident scene the insurance company here will pay for the recharge which is normally around 30.00
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote