First Fiberglass Camper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
And the other two are: ?????

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #22

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
How's this for an idea: build or buy a 'nose cone'-style cover to go over the entire upper front end. It would cover the window and the AC. And it would probably reduce wind resistance a bit during travel. Something like this... NoseCone Pull Trailers
Just rig it so you can remove or raise the cone upon arrival at the CG, like people do with their front window covers.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
That missing window should be replaced with common flat tempered glass. Any Auto Glass shop can cut it for you but be sure you have the molding first.
This is where Bob and I will have to disagree. I suggest you have laminated glass cut and install that. It's not only cheaper, but designed to stay in once piece if cracked. Tempered (like a windshield) will break apart and you'll end up with holes. Laminated glass is the same as the door window glass in your tug.

Since this is on the front of your trailer and you don't have a rock guard... if you're out camping and the window gets hit with a rock, using laminated glass, all you'd need to do is get out the duct tape and cover the cracks. May save a camping trip... especially if it's raining
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #24

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Hunter Industries
Tennessee
Registry
Since my Hunter I had sat in a field for who knows how long before I acquired it Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1412303119.324827.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	77093Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1412303135.041048.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	77094and the windows had been used for target practice, I had the pleasure of replacing all the glass. I didn't really like the 3 piece front window so I went with 1 piece of plexiglass. I know some people don't like it because you do have to be a little careful with it getting scratched, but it sure saves a good bit on weight...

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Jeff Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
First Fiberglass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This is where Bob and I will have to disagree. I suggest you have laminated glass cut and install that. It's not only cheaper, but designed to stay in once piece if cracked. Tempered (like a windshield) will break apart and you'll end up with holes. Laminated glass is the same as the door window glass in your tug.

Since this is on the front of your trailer and you don't have a rock guard... if you're out camping and the window gets hit with a rock, using laminated glass, all you'd need to do is get out the duct tape and cover the cracks. May save a camping trip... especially if it's raining

Someone, please correct me, but I thought it was the windshield that is laminated - two layers of glass with a flexible filler. That's why windshields don't fall apart when cracked (like when the rock hits you going 65 on the freeway). Side glass is tempered, which means it shatters into a million tiny roundish pieces (rather than dangerous shards) when it breaks. Like when I sent a rock flying from my mower into the back side glass of my old Subaru.

I always thought laminated glass had to be manufactured for a specific application, not cut to size afterward. And isn't tempered glass what they use in patio doors and other custom applications where breakage and safety are issues?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:35 PM   #26

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Hunter Industries
Tennessee
Registry
Also tempered glass can not be cut, it's cut and then tempered.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Jeff Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #27

That's a good argument in favor of laminated glass, but the tempered glass will take a lot harder hit before it breaks. also, because it is thicker, it may not fit in the frame. Lets call this dealers choice.

Just recently I had the opportunity to demonstrate how to reduce a piece of tempered glass to itty-bitty pieces. Smacked hard 3 times with a hammer = nada. Snapped a spring loaded center punch in one corner = Gone. Very cool.....

This is also why first responders carry a pointed tip hammer, to break tempered glass vehicle windows during a rescue operation.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #28

There are suppliers of tempered glass cut to size and then tempered, and it can also be cut with a laser designed for the process. Here's one such supplier:

Tempered Glass | Custom Cut Safety Glass Delivered to Your Home

But it would be easier to cut flat safety glass.

BTW: The one piece window looks real nice, but I still would have opted for glass.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:40 AM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I had the door window glass in my Scamp replaced with a piece of laminated glass. It was cut to size for less than $20. Tempered would be a lot more expensive. The laminated was suggested by the glass shop.

AND oops, my bad. The windshield is laminated and the door window glass is tempered! Just had it backwards
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:59 AM   #30

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Russell View Post
.......my Hunter I had sat in a field..............and the windows had been used for target practice.................
Uh Huh, sounds like more of those dang "Rednecks" at work right there I tell you. Course, y'all way North up there in Kentucky and Tennessee is almost Yankees to us Florida Crackers.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:59 PM   #31

Name: Captain Longbelly
Trailer: Lots
Kentucky
Thanks

Thanks for the info...I will pull the A/C out sometime soon and see what else I need to do to install a new window..it is completely covered in caulk now so I have no clue how it goes in...do I need to buy a window seal somewhere? how is it installed?...I haven't had time to look at the other two front windows closely as I have been camping in The Smoky Mountains over the weekend in my VW Bus...which suffered catastrophic engine failure 200 miles from home today and I sat beside the road 8 hours waiting for AAA to come tow me home it's been a long day.
KyMoonshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #32

The windows are sealed with RV Putty Tape that you buy by the roll at any RV supply shop. Get the thick stuff. You have to remove the window fame entirely, clean off all the old stuff, apply the tape on the back of the frame and reinstall the window. The putty will ooze out for a week or so and you will have to go back with a butter knife and trim the excess. As long as you are at it, do the side windows as well, they will need it anyway..... Done correctly it's good for 5-7+ years

DO NOT even think about using silicone caulk, it will leak within a year

Old 10-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #33

Kentucky
Thanks Bob....I have a ton of putty tape so I guess I'll have some glass cut and fix it this winter...
Old 10-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #34

Kentucky
Quote:
There is really nothing to see:

1. Remove the entire window assy (frame) from the camper.
Remove all of the screws from the inside frame
Gently pry out on the frame to break the seal, clean off all sealing material.
2. Remove the 8 small screws that hold the two divider rails in place and remove the rails
3. Spread the frame slightly at the center to remove/install glass.
4. When finished, the center window is installed exactly the same as the two side windows.

Reinstall assy into opening with new RV putty tape.

Easy-Peasy
Bob
Having glass cut to size really isn't going to help me much unless I find the molding...you have a source for that?..I took out the A/C today...they had installed it with no intention of ever removing it...it had at least 2 tubes of sealant around it...I have been cleaning on it all day...It did not help the removal process that every other screw on inside frame broke when removing...

I am leaving next weekend on a two month trip in the little guy..so I have to fill that hole with something...lol

I also packed the wheel bearings installed new shoes today as well
Old 10-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #35

I'm about 1200 miles away from mine right now and can't give you the original window MFG's name, but they are still in business in the U.S. and you can buy that molding in long lengths. Check look on the windows for a small name tag or show the entire frame to a local RV shop.

As an alternative, go to a boat repair shop with the window in tow for a fix idea.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:08 PM   #36

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I wonder if a window company would be able to fabricate the entire thing? Granted, they usually make windows for houses, but why not for a trailer? Here in Tulsa we have Thermal Windows, a company that makes entire windows (frame and all), and I bought my home windows direct from the factory & helped a handyman install them. Perhaps there is a mfr somewhere near you, might be worth giving them a call. Just a thought.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:13 PM   #37

Those are Hehr windows
Google "Hehr window seals" and you will get the names of several stocking dealers for your seal. You should have it overnight if necessary

Old 10-29-2014, 11:30 PM   #38

Kentucky
Quote:
Those are Hehr windows
Google "Hehr window seals" and you will get the names of several stocking dealers for your seal. You should have it overnight if necessary
Thanks so much Bob for going through the trouble to help me...I think this is the seal my camper uses
Hehr Standard Glass Seal

as it looks like the other ones in side windows and the glass sits right against the frame on those as well...

I also love Vintage Trailer Supply....they have always been good to me...
Old 10-30-2014, 06:14 AM   #39

Sounds great... After you install it, let us know that the part is the correct one for Hinters

Old 11-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #40

Kentucky
Quote:
Sounds great... After you install it, let us know that the part is the correct one for Hinters
It does indeed seem to be the correct one...I like the window much better than the A/C ...

I also installed a new lock set today as well...I had to fab most of the stuff with a mixture of old and new