First Fiberglass Camper - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-03-2014, 06:40 AM   #29

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I had the door window glass in my Scamp replaced with a piece of laminated glass. It was cut to size for less than $20. Tempered would be a lot more expensive. The laminated was suggested by the glass shop.

AND oops, my bad. The windshield is laminated and the door window glass is tempered! Just had it backwards

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:59 AM   #30

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Russell View Post
.......my Hunter I had sat in a field..............and the windows had been used for target practice.................
Uh Huh, sounds like more of those dang "Rednecks" at work right there I tell you. Course, y'all way North up there in Kentucky and Tennessee is almost Yankees to us Florida Crackers.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:59 AM   #31

Name: Captain Longbelly
Trailer: Lots
Kentucky
Thanks

Thanks for the info...I will pull the A/C out sometime soon and see what else I need to do to install a new window..it is completely covered in caulk now so I have no clue how it goes in...do I need to buy a window seal somewhere? how is it installed?...I haven't had time to look at the other two front windows closely as I have been camping in The Smoky Mountains over the weekend in my VW Bus...which suffered catastrophic engine failure 200 miles from home today and I sat beside the road 8 hours waiting for AAA to come tow me home it's been a long day.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #32

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
The windows are sealed with RV Putty Tape that you buy by the roll at any RV supply shop. Get the thick stuff. You have to remove the window fame entirely, clean off all the old stuff, apply the tape on the back of the frame and reinstall the window. The putty will ooze out for a week or so and you will have to go back with a butter knife and trim the excess. As long as you are at it, do the side windows as well, they will need it anyway..... Done correctly it's good for 5-7+ years

DO NOT even think about using silicone caulk, it will leak within a year
Old 10-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #33

Kentucky
Thanks Bob....I have a ton of putty tape so I guess I'll have some glass cut and fix it this winter...
Old 10-28-2014, 07:17 PM   #34

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
There is really nothing to see:

1. Remove the entire window assy (frame) from the camper.
Remove all of the screws from the inside frame
Gently pry out on the frame to break the seal, clean off all sealing material.
2. Remove the 8 small screws that hold the two divider rails in place and remove the rails
3. Spread the frame slightly at the center to remove/install glass.
4. When finished, the center window is installed exactly the same as the two side windows.

Reinstall assy into opening with new RV putty tape.

Easy-Peasy
Bob
Having glass cut to size really isn't going to help me much unless I find the molding...you have a source for that?..I took out the A/C today...they had installed it with no intention of ever removing it...it had at least 2 tubes of sealant around it...I have been cleaning on it all day...It did not help the removal process that every other screw on inside frame broke when removing...

I am leaving next weekend on a two month trip in the little guy..so I have to fill that hole with something...lol

I also packed the wheel bearings installed new shoes today as well
Old 10-28-2014, 08:07 PM   #35

California
I'm about 1200 miles away from mine right now and can't give you the original window MFG's name, but they are still in business in the U.S. and you can buy that molding in long lengths. Check look on the windows for a small name tag or show the entire frame to a local RV shop.

As an alternative, go to a boat repair shop with the window in tow for a fix idea.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #36

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I wonder if a window company would be able to fabricate the entire thing? Granted, they usually make windows for houses, but why not for a trailer? Here in Tulsa we have Thermal Windows, a company that makes entire windows (frame and all), and I bought my home windows direct from the factory & helped a handyman install them. Perhaps there is a mfr somewhere near you, might be worth giving them a call. Just a thought.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #37

California
Those are Hehr windows
Google "Hehr window seals" and you will get the names of several stocking dealers for your seal. You should have it overnight if necessary
Old 10-30-2014, 12:30 AM   #38

Kentucky
Quote:
Those are Hehr windows
Google "Hehr window seals" and you will get the names of several stocking dealers for your seal. You should have it overnight if necessary
Thanks so much Bob for going through the trouble to help me...I think this is the seal my camper uses
Hehr Standard Glass Seal

as it looks like the other ones in side windows and the glass sits right against the frame on those as well...

I also love Vintage Trailer Supply....they have always been good to me...
Old 10-30-2014, 07:14 AM   #39

California
Sounds great... After you install it, let us know that the part is the correct one for Hinters
Old 11-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #40

Kentucky
Quote:
Sounds great... After you install it, let us know that the part is the correct one for Hinters
It does indeed seem to be the correct one...I like the window much better than the A/C ...

I also installed a new lock set today as well...I had to fab most of the stuff with a mixture of old and new

Old 11-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #41

Name: Eric and Sharon
Trailer: Burro
Ohio
Registry
Welcome! Can't wait to see and hear what is happening with your new find!
Old 11-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #42

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyMoonshine View Post
I like the window much better than the A/C ...

Wow! Looks good. The new rims/tires will make it look much better too. I have had people look at my Scamp from a distance and think it is much newer than it is because of the shiny new rims.