First Fiberglass Camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #1

Name: Captain Longbelly
Trailer: Lots
Kentucky
First Fiberglass Camper

Hello
I am happy to have found this forum and it looks like there is a lot of information here I will need...I have been traveling in a vintage Airstream for years and recently started using a canvas Apache for really long trips...but with our dogs and lack of security they offer I purchased a Hunter Compact II today

I know nothing about them and found this site doing a search...I think it may be perfect for us...so let the repairs begin...is there a compiled area or sub-forum for these campers? I think it is similar to some other models like Campster? Thanks for any info and I'm happy to be here.
KyMoonshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:48 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Capt, you will get many answers here. There are a number of owners of that model here that have a lot of knowledge to pass on. There is also our document center you can use for info too. BTW your rig looks pretty nice. Do post pics before, during and after of your mods.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Welcome to the Group
We don't have separate groups by make, but here are some pics of my Hunter and some of the mods I made.

Hunter Compact II Photos by advocateone | Photobucket
and
Hunter Mods 2014 Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

BTW: I see yours has the bathroom option. After several years use we just took ours out and converted the space into storage and put a porta-potty on a slide out track. Works out a lot better, as storage space was the main drawback in these neat little RV's.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #4

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Congrats on Compact!!

Nice looking rig, hope to see more photos inside and out.

Use the search function occasionally and look for Hunter, Compact, or Junior from time to time to find specific posts pertaining to campers like ours.
Attached Thumbnails
new cushions.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:09 AM   #5

Kentucky
Thanks everyone...I checked out all the systems today and was surprised that they all seem to work...I purchased it from an older lady that had owned it for 16 years and been camping in it twice...she was selling her home and getting rid of stuff she no longer wanted to move...she told me the fridge had never worked...I fired it up on the propane side and it got cold very fast...so I tried the 120v side and it also worked well...it has a very dead deep-cycle as she was not even aware it had a battery...so I did not try the 12v option...but running a fridge off 12v seems a little strange to me anyway...the water lines were disconnected running from fresh water tank to the toilet...I hooked them back up and the pump and toilet worked like new...the city water inlet on the rear drivers side is busted and it spays water everywhere when you connect it...so I have to source something that would work there...the plastic fresh water inlet door and assembly is broken so I also need to find something that would work there as well...the stove worked like new as well...

So am I correct in assuming nothing is available for these campers anymore and I will have to source other stuff and fab it to work? I realize a lot of the stuff is pretty standard in the camper world.

It has a pretty nice pop-up section except the plastic/Velcro clear flaps are dis-formed and no longer fit/work...so I guess I will remove it and have my local upholstery guy work on it..

Also in all my teardrop builds I install a Battery Tender and use it to keep deep-cell charged and maintained...it seems like that would work with this camper as well...I'll run another 120v outlet and install it under the bench near the battery box to power the charger...I may upgrade the breaker box to the same one I use in all my small camper builds as well...

I will also install these outlets as they really come in handy

and probably a shore power outlet because pulling the power cord through the hole under the sink will probably get old...

Here are some bad cellphone picks of it before I start work on it

I need to source some new tires and a wheel for a spare it seems most tires the stock size are bias ply...anyone know where to get radial 165/80 13 trailer tires? and a steel wheel?
Has anyone found a decent fresh water inlet?
Thanks for any info and I already love this little camper
Old 10-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #6

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Love the camper. Sounds like you found a good one. Hopefully other compact owners can give you the info you need on this one for parts, etc. Congrats on the find and welcome to FGRV family.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:40 AM   #7

Name: Anne
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I also need a fresh water inlet on my compact, as the fill door is gone. I found two sources for a valve that looks similar (called a surface mount gravity fill inlet). I don't have access to those files right now as I'm traveling, but I think one source might have been the Scamp online store? I will add the info when I have a chance. Welcome! Yours looks in better shape than mine. I will be interested in the mods you make.
Fire-N-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #8

As you have noticed, it is a very basic camper. Any repair parts you will need are available at most RV supply houses, including the new 13 X 4 on 4 rims with tires. Try etrailer.com and/or eBay if you can't find something locally.

I'd suggest a little more than a minimal electrical system though. I installed a Progressive Dynamics PD-4045 in mine and it takes care of everything from ac dirtribution, to DC power to being a 3 stage charger. Bear at Vintec is a good source for those. I put the PD-4045 and a group 27 battery in the left bench seat, aft of the water tank.

You might find that an awning repair company can better handle the top boot repairs than most upholstery shops. The original fabric, if not damaged, respond's well to most leatherette conditioners.

There is a pic of my fresh water inlet connection in the links I posted in Post #3. You have to be careful because the water tank is very high inside and it's hard to get downhill flow from the filler to the tank.

And yes, the Dometic Refrigerators they used seem to have a very long life expectancy. The Model 23 in mine was working fine when I removed it this year to put in with more interior storage space. BTW: The flints for the lighter are no longer available, at some point you will have to learn how to light it with a match-stick.

Keep asking questions.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #9

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Hunter Industries
Tennessee
Registry
I found mine on Amazon...Camco 37002 Flush Mount Fill Spout (Beige)

Jeff Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #10

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I'd suggest a little more than a minimal electrical system though. I installed a Progressive Dynamics PD-4045 in mine and it takes care of everything from ac dirtribution, to DC power to being a 3 stage charger. Bear at Vintec is a good source for those. I put the PD-4045 and a group 27 battery in the left bench seat, aft of the water tank.
Keep asking questions.
Bob your camper is amazing...you did a wonderful job....I like the look of the Progressive Mini and that is a wise route to take...and I will have lots more questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Russell View Post
I found mine on Amazon...Camco 37002 Flush Mount Fill Spout (Beige)

That looks like it will work...seems like a lot of the stuff is available on Amazon ...Thanks for the info
Old 10-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #11

Because the top of the water tank in a Hunter Compact-II is almost level with the filler, I find the "Gravity Feed" filler a real PITA. I installed an open port type and use a flex tube on the end of a hose or with a Funnel contraption for filling mine.

Who ever inverted the gravity feed filler was a sadist!!!!!

Old 10-02-2014, 01:11 AM   #12

Kentucky
One of the first hings I have to do is remove the window A/C unit that looks to have been installed decades ago...there is nothing more redneck than a window unit hanging out of a camper...

I'm sure I can figure out a decent way to install a new unit somewhere else like under the bench with it venting to the outside...but first I have to figure out what type of window/glass goes back in it...anyone have a close up of the middle front window I could see?...
Thanks
Old 10-02-2014, 06:19 AM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyMoonshine View Post
One of the first hings I have to do is remove the window A/C unit that looks to have been installed decades ago...there is nothing more redneck than a window unit hanging out of a camper...
Redneck? Probably. But also a very "period correct" modification.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:52 AM   #14

That missing window should be replaced with common flat tempered glass. Any Auto Glass shop can cut it for you but be sure you have the molding first.

And thank you for what will quickly become a somewhat controversial comment about your a/c unit.

I realize that it is sometimes a necessity, but it's never appealing to my somewhat limited, but none the less erudite, tastes. LOL

There could be room under the center dinette bench for an a/c as there's currently almost nothing in there.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #15

Name: Anne
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Hmmm. I was thinking of installing precisely the window AC configuration you show! How is the unit supported, since I expect the thin fiberglass am does not have the strength for it to "hang" like it would on a house window. I have a very small window unit sitting unused in the garage. The portable unit that was installed in the cabinetry under the stove is unwieldy, takes up too much storage space, and too hard to install/ remove in between uses. Where is the window unit kept during road travel?
The front window has three stationary panels of ( I am guessing here) polycarbonate or other rigid transparent material. Maybe it is actually glass, it just doesn't feel like glass to me. I am thinking of replacing the whole front window with a Hehr window with a center slider. It doesn't look like the center panel would be hard to replace with your choice of material.
Fire-N-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire-N-Ice View Post
Where is the window unit kept during road travel?
Looks like a permanent install. I think it travels that way.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #17

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Redneck? Probably. But also a very "period correct" modification.
You are probably right....lol....I come from the deepest hollows of South Eastern Kentucky so I can use the term "Redneck".......most people just call us Hillbillies...
I just appreciate a clean install of an A/C unit...and it will be easy to install it someplace else...

Sent from my SM-N900P using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 10-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #18

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire-N-Ice View Post
Hmmm. I was thinking of installing precisely the window AC configuration you show! How is the unit supported, since I expect the thin fiberglass am does not have the strength for it to "hang" like it would on a house window. I have a very small window unit sitting unused in the garage. The portable unit that was installed in the cabinetry under the stove is unwieldy, takes up too much storage space, and too hard to install/ remove in between uses. Where is the window unit kept during road travel?
The front window has three stationary panels of ( I am guessing here) polycarbonate or other rigid transparent material. Maybe it is actually glass, it just doesn't feel like glass to me. I am thinking of replacing the whole front window with a Hehr window with a center slider. It doesn't look like the center panel would be hard to replace with your choice of material.
The unit that is currently in the camper is permanent...it has two support rods giving it strength..it stays in window during travel...if I were able to remove during travel and install when camping like you are wanting to do that would be excellent and a great idea...I just hate driving down the road like that...I will install a new unit under the bench that will vent out the bottom or side...I do it in all my teardrop builds and gotten pretty good at hiding them...
Thanks for the info on the window...and if someone could take a few close up photos of the middle window and how it is installed that would be great..

Sent from my SM-N900P using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 10-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #19

There is really nothing to see:

1. Remove the entire window assy (frame) from the camper.
Remove all of the screws from the inside frame
Gently pry out on the frame to break the seal, clean off all sealing material.
2. Remove the 8 small screws that hold the two divider rails in place and remove the rails
3. Spread the frame slightly at the center to remove/install glass.
4. When finished, the center window is installed exactly the same as the two side windows.

Reinstall assy into opening with new RV putty tape.

Easy-Peasy

Old 10-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #20
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyMoonshine View Post

Thanks
I agree Captain. One of the top 3 tasteless mods you can see on any RV. Not
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote