First fiberglass trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-29-2017, 12:13 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
First fiberglass trailer

Axles don't generally fail catastrophically.

The only catastrophic axle failure I've heard of was the recent incident in which a Scamp axle broke loose from the frame. Bad deal, but it had nothing to do with age or wear, but improper installation (by Scamp or a PO modification- that was never determined). That axle was only 10 years old.

Catastrophic roadside failures are usually related to wheel bearings, and they can be serviced without replacing the axle. And should be with any newly acquired used trailer.

I have also heard of some catastrophic frame failures cause by rust and metal fatigue, so a careful inspection of frame, including the axle mounts, would be a good idea on an older trailer, especially one from a humid climate or rust belt state.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:18 PM   #16

Name: Leonard
Trailer: Bonair Oxygene 2002
Quebec
Hi, I'm new here and I have similar questions as Dave except that I'm looking to buy a Bonair Oxygene 19' 2002. What should I look for? Can I put a shower in it? Can I put an Air conditionner also? Axles need to be changed after 15 to 20 years? This one will be close to 15 years. Is it a problem if the company making them does no longer exist?

Old 03-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #17

Arizona
Registry
The axles are manufactured by one of two or three companies, not by the coach manufacturer, and are custom built to the application. It shouldn't be a problem, and you likely have a few years left. Figure $600-1000 for an axle replacement, depending on who does it and whether any frame modifications are required (as with Lil Bigfoot).

Love the Oxygens!
Old 03-29-2017, 12:42 PM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: Looking
Oregon
Axel replacement

It seams replacing the axel on a Bigfoot is more complexed than other trailers why is that
Old 03-29-2017, 01:59 PM   #19

Arizona
Registry
The main frame rails are not parallel- they angle together toward the front. Normally the mounting brackets on a torsion axle are perpendicular to the axle tube for installation on parallel rails. Apparently, Bigfoot had special axles made just to fit their unusual rails with angled brackets. You cannot order them that way now.

The usual solution, if I have understood previous postings, is to weld a custom bracket onto the frame rails to accommodate normal perpendicular axle mounts. It's a once-and-done solution- any future axle replacements will then be straightforward. Members' experiences have been varied- some shops balk while others are comfortable making the necessary modifications. A place that fabricates and sells utility trailers often has the most experience with axles, not an RV shop.

If you google "rubber torsion axle" you should turn up information on how they work and how they are mounted. A google site search ("Search" menu and scroll down to "Site Search/Google") on "Lil Bigfoot axle replacement" should turn up some old threads on this forum. Others have been down this road before.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:46 PM   #20

Quebec
Thanks Jon for the information. Can't wait to go see the trailer tomorrow. The shower should be easy to install and I have to check if the AC can be installed. If everything is positive I will keep you informed.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:50 PM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: Looking
Oregon
Thanks to all very good info
Old 04-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #22

Name: Kirby
Trailer: Bonair
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leobon View Post
Thanks Jon for the information. Can't wait to go see the trailer tomorrow. The shower should be easy to install and I have to check if the AC can be installed. If everything is positive I will keep you informed.
It's good to see another Oxygen owner here.
You mentioned an A/C unit. Ours came with one. It is used most often when we want to visit a museum, etc. where pets are not permitted. Then we get a camping site with 110, turn on the A/C for our dog, and my wife and I do our exploring. The A/C is seldom used when we are camping.
Enjoy your new-to-you egg.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:11 PM   #23

Quebec
I bought the 2002 Oxygen. I had the shower drain, shower water faucet, and an a/c unit installed. I now want to polish my Oxygen egg. What do you suggest?
Old 04-12-2017, 11:49 PM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
I bought the 2002 Oxygen. I had the shower drain, shower water faucet, and an a/c unit installed. I now want to polish my Oxygen egg. What do you suggest?
Leonard, it's almost Easter, you're supposed to dye/color eggs, not polish them .
Old 04-13-2017, 06:54 AM   #25

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
I would suggest Meguiar's Marine Fiberglass Restoration System.

Congratulations on the purchase!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #26

Nova Scotia
Quote:
Good morning, Leonard.
As previously suggested, the McGuire's Marine Fiberglass Restoration System is excellent. We used the 2-in-1 cleaner/polish, and then we waxed ours. It came out beautiful. We hope to bring ours home soon and put on a fresh coat of wax.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:43 PM   #27

Quebec
Hello Kirby, With all the rain we've been getting I have only succeeded in compounding part of my Oxygen. I fell upon something that worried me a little. On the inside of the cupboard door I saw a sticker saying that we should not put an a/c. The guy from the trailer shop never told me that and he installed an a/c unit on the roof over the kitchen table. Have you had any problems with yours? Did you add some reinforcement? Apparently the year following its creation there was a recall to reinforce the structure and all 70 Oxygens were fixed before the company burnt down and never reopened. So maybe everything is already fixed. What kind of a/c do you have on it? How long has it been there and has it caused any problems?
Leo
Old 05-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #28

Nova Scotia
You're making good progress. Congratulations.
Originally only two BonAir Oxygen trailers to come to NS, ours with the A/C and another with the ceiling vent. I have attached a photo which shows its position. The original owners only had the trailer for one season. We have owned and enjoyed this trailer since May 2004.
We are fortunate to have the manuals for everything on our trailer. The A/C is a Due-Therm 579 Series BRISK AIR Roof Top Air Conditioner (pre-wired for optional heat package.) The specifications in the Installation & Operating Instructions state the installed weight as 95 pounds.
The A/C has never given us any challenges or concerns, although snow on the roof along with the A/C might be a concern, if we didn't store it inside each winter.
If I may help further, please ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Eggbert at Mira River Campground cropped.jpg