Former - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2016, 04:11 PM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the market
Wisconsin
Former

Recently, Mary and I ended a 14 year sailing adventure in the Caribbean Sea aboard our Island Packet 38 sailboat. Like many former cruising sailors, we're still not ready to give up the adventure of independent travel to new places. So, we've begun the research and search for a small travel trailer. We hope to see nearly as much of the USA and Canada as we saw of the Caribbean and South American nations. We think that this website is a good place to begin.
Thanks in advance for your advice and friendship.
Mike and Mary
SunBurnedWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Registry
Welcome home Mike & Mary

Hello from Elkhart Lake WI...where are you located.

You will certainly get varying opinions on travel trailers. Dependent on how you choose to travel, duration of trips, tow vehicle, and financial budget of the trailer will dictate what will be appropriate for you two.

If the sailboat is sold and you are committed to traveling and have an adequate tow vehicle there are two Olivers for sale in the classified section that are pretty much the cream of the crop. But they are approx. $45,000.

We purchased a 13 ft Scamp Deluxe because we basically wanted a bed on wheels for short weekend trips (and my wife thought it was cute and it was only $15k) around the Great Lakes area. We have about another 8-10 years before retirement and perhaps then we will look at something else.

Plenty of good manufacturers out there, Big Foot, Parkliner, Egg Camper, Casita, and of course Oliver.

There will be plenty of folks to welcome and provide information.

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #3

Wisconsin
The Former Sailors

Thanks for the comments, Bill, Actually, the Scamp 16 Deluxe is high on our list, but we have no preference as yet. Our sailboat sold quickly but we don't expect to invest nearly as much in a travel trailer. We simply want to see if road travel can now substitute for liveaboard sailing.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Registry
Great choice for a value trailer

Michael

Great choice on the 16 Deluxe. We went with the 13 as our vehicles (2013 2DR Wrangler , 2012 Subaru outback) wont tow anything larger.

Good luck and if you call the factory get your name out there for a cancellation. Sometime they have people that don't want theirs and you can get it faster than 7 months.

Bill

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Michael My advice always is to search this forum for gatherings in you area and visit one. As you may already know the fiberglass community is at least as friendly as the sailing community and folks at the gatherings will welcome you to take a look at their trailers and share as to pros and cons of their particular make. I'm sure you are aware from your sailing that the brochures , specs etc. don't yield the same feeling you can get from actually being in the trailer or sailboat. Welcome aboard ! Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Thanks, Lee, I'm now looking at possibly driving down to Thompson, Illinois, from our home in Madison, WI (about 2 1/2 hours) to attend the FGRV rally there Sept 30 - Oct 2. Hope it works out.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 09-05-2016, 09:08 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBurnedWitch View Post
Recently, Mary and I ended a 14 year sailing adventure in the Caribbean Sea aboard our Island Packet 38 sailboat.
Michael,

Welcome to the forum. If you'd like to stay on par with the boat, I'd boldly suggest a converted diesel bus there or something like that. Have you seen Technomadia's site?

Technomadia's Home: GM PD 4106 Vintage Bus Conversion | Technomadia

Or almost any other thing that you may find suits you. Maybe a nice little molded fiberglass RV perhaps?

I'm sure you'll enjoy pondering the array of choices.

Regards,
Mike

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Michael Good deal. I hope you see something that makes you feel as at home on land as your sailboat made you feel on the oceans. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote