From the PRC to the USA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-01-2011, 07:59 AM   #1

Name: Gary & Kan-Mui
Trailer: Scamp 13 ("Eggspats")/ Jeep Liberty
Michigan
Registry
From the PRC to the USA

A new member... A native of Wisconsin, I've lived in southern China (PRC) since 1976. My wife Kan-Mui (who is Chinese) and I have traveled the world, thanks to her work with an international airline. Next summer we retire to central Wisconsin, from where we hope to travel around the USA. We want to visit the 48 contiguous states and Alaska within 3 years.

We plan to see the USA, not in a Chevrolet, but in either a Scamp 13 or a Casita 17 SD. This past summer, we saw examples of each and spoke with owners as well as sales reps of both trailers. We've also read many posts on the Scamp and Casita forums. We also will be scouring this forum for information that will help us decide. Obviously, for us this is a choice of travel lifestyles as well as travel trailers.

We intend to make our decision and place an order in January. Who knows, we may be the first to order a Scamp or Casita from China.

We look forward to traveling around the US, attending rallies and meeting some of you.

Gary
oldchinahands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Gary and Kan-Mui, welcome to FiberglassRV. We have members from all over the world, but I think you may be the first from China.

There is a number of molded trailer brands between the Scamp 13 and Casita 17, feel free to ask questions regarding any of your needs. You'll find kind, helpful people here.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Welcome

歡迎

I highly reccommend the Trillium, however I admit my bias.

I hope the characters show up, if not, Chi Chin.

Roger

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Welcome! Your retirement plans sounds wonderful! Good luck in finding the trailer just right for you.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
welcome to this forum-family! hope you learn enough here to make your decision on what to buy with confidence.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
¡Hola! from Las Cruces, New Mexico. Welcome to the Forum. Good Fortune in your Quest.

Here's a link to Our 'Shot Gun' of Reminisces ~ Sites & Sights West of Mississippi River. Hope you can find something in there to help on your quest to see the USA in your RV. It has a link on Going Small - Many Models to Choose From as well.

Our Rig:
2005 16' Scamp Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailer
Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
At City of Rocks State Park
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...0/DSC02071.jpg
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
歡迎

I highly reccommend the Trillium, however I admit my bias.

I hope the characters show up, if not, Chi Chin.

Roger

I second that, but I like the 4500. (also biased)
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #8

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We like our EGG Camper (LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS TRAVEL TRAILER). It has a little more width and headroom than the Casita and Scamp. It's 17 ft. Can be had all electric (ours is) or with propane. We tow it both with a 6 cylinder Chrysler minivan and a V8 Chevy Silverado. MG about the same with either running 14-17 depending route, hills, headwinds, etc.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Welcome Gary, We are orginally from central WI (Marshfield) and have been near Madison since 1976. Lots of Scamps in the area. You may want to consider the fiberglass rally in Duluth next September. Tony
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #10

Name: harry
Trailer: New Parkliner owner
North Carolina
Welcome back home! If you get all the way east before buying, check Parkliner.com, [i just ordered one] here in north carolina. Also L'il Snoozy made in south carolina. Egg campers are in Michigan, right, folks? Just my newbie 2 cents worth........
harryjhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
Gary - Some years back I spent a lot of time working on projects on the coast of China. It was an interesting and mostly positive experience.
I understand that you are planning on traveling around the US and not thru China. However, I can't get the image of someone in a bright red jeep (like mine) and a 13 foot Scamp (like mine) traveling thru rural China. It would draw crowds everywhere it went.
By the way .... Get a Scamp.
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:24 AM   #12

Name: Gary & Kan-Mui
Trailer: Scamp 13 ("Eggspats")/ Jeep Liberty
Michigan
Registry
Hi Ron

Thanks for the note. Yes, a red Jeep & Scamp would cause quite a sensation in rural China! In urban China, you could perhaps sell it and make a hefty profit.

We too have a red -- cranberry red -- Jeep, a 2011 Liberty with tow package purchased this past summer, now hibernating in a central WI garage and awaiting a trailer to tow.

This past weekend, we selected the Scamp 13 Layout 2 with almost all the options as our trailer of choice. We will place the order after 1 Jan. Our only concerns about / questions with this model are the shower drain (low clearance) and the awning (is it good? is it really necessary?). Any comments?

Gary
oldchinahands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Gary, Assuming the shower drain on a Scamp 13, is the same as the one on a Scamp 16, you will not have any problems with it having low clearance. Unlike the shower drains on Casita with hang down under the floor, the Scamp's drain is pretty flush with the floor. From what I remember when under there cleaning the 'lent /hair' filter screen, I do not believe it hands below the frame of the trailer much if any.

On the Scamp's, the shower drain is not by gravity, but is pumped out of the shower pan. Does not have a P-trap or conventional plumbing, but uses 'plastic' hoses to carry the shower water with a pump and a filter inline under the trailer floor. As RonMayo, mentioned below (getting the filter broken), this problem could be eliminated by just putting a piece of 'plastic cardboard-like material over the area where the shower drain leaves the trailer. I have not had ours to break (do not really take it onto back roads or rough trails), but if we ever take the Scamp to Alaska, I have plans to protect the filter & the pump with this material. Don't remember/know the true name of it, but Home Depot or Lowe's should have it. Other RV manufactures use it to help make there rigs more arctic proof (cold proof). I plan on covering most of the under side with the material, keep rocks from doing damage to things, etc. and keep the floor warmer as well.

We found the toilet seat a little too high from the shower floor, and the 'rim' of the shower/toilet platform a little narrow and using it as a foot rest was going to cause a crack in it, therefore, I bought a small sheet of wood sub-flooring and cut a piece to fix over the shower floor. It rest on top of the rim around 3 sides of the shower. It covers the floor of the shower when it is not being used as a shower. It makes a very solid floor for the bathroom & for using the toilet. It does cut down on the head room, my wife can stand up, but I can not do so without bending my head to the side. I have not found this a problem. If I am in there, I am setting down. Keep the floor of the shower clean as well.
Removable floor over shower floor:

This is a link to a post from someone who has just gotten a Scamp 13, might prove interesting to read if you haven't already found it.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ner-49031.html

The awning is good (not the best in the world, I'd say) but works well enough. If really needing a little shade or a small area/place to keep dry, it is will fill the bill. As to being necessary, maybe not necessary, but kind of nice to have. Like some awnings we have had, it has it's own quirks, but is pretty easy to set up and put away. At least the one we have on the 2005 Scamp.

Both photos from 2007 South Meadow CG Woodland Park, CO

One could also carry a fold away awning & use it when you need one. Might even have a larger one than what would be on the Scamp.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
You'll find the Liberty a very good fit with the 13'Scamp. I haven't had to use extension mirrors as the Liberty is wide compared to the Scamp.

The filter on the shower drain can be a problem. I've had several damaged in rough country. I suggest you buy an extra filter assembly when you pick up the trailer.

I have the awning which I don't use often but it is nice for stays longer than a day or two.
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Gary,

We didn't get the awning. At that time there was a lot of discussion about the awning Scamp used. If it is the same awning you might want to consider doing your own, better quality, easier to use awning.

Joy A has posted pictures of her awning mod on yahoo scampers. Her pictures are under Joy's 13 footer. The awning project is the fourth set of pictures. She has 8 pictures in that group.

Maybe others can tell us if Scamp has stepped up to a better awning.

We do not stay in any place long enough to use an awning. I am going to buy something detached, light weight, and easy to use...cheap too. We have a 6x6 screen room that pops up that I have used mostly for shade.

You know the awnings do not stand up to wind.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Welcome!

As you can see, the simple truth is that everyone likes his/her camper the best. I would recommend my UHaul VT as well, but they only made 200 of them and as far as we know, there are 12 of those accounted for. I recommend that you go to some rallies if you can before you buy and explore different makes before you make your final decision.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote