From the tent to a FGRV! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-06-2015, 10:31 PM   #15

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
We recently slept 5 for a couple of nights in our Scamp13L1 with the 54" bed.
See the following thread ....
We slept 5 in our Scamp13 with 54" bed

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Old 05-06-2015, 10:40 PM   #16

Missouri
Pictures of our Scamp13 interior/exterior can be found in later segments of this thread .....
Scamp Full Size Bed = Smaller Table Size

Ray

Old 05-06-2015, 10:54 PM   #17

Missouri
When we are a "camping trailer", we carry a CLAM 1660 Mag Screen Tent.
See this thread .... Outdoor "room"

When we are a "travel trailer", I will seriously be looking into getting the new
CLAM Traveler (since it is lighter and the bag is shorter and easier to transport in our SUV.

Ray

Old 05-06-2015, 10:59 PM   #18

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 Layout 7
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
We recently slept 5 for a couple of nights in our Scamp13L1 with the 54" bed.
See the following thread ....
We slept 5 in our Scamp13 with 54" bed - Fiberglass RV

Ray

Thank you for the great links and info! I LOVED reading the story of you all staying in one little camper. Such great memories

We have a 10x10 quick set shade tent that might be nice to put up like the clam tent you linked to. Good things to think about. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2015, 05:32 AM   #19
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post

We have a 2011 Toyota Highlander with the tow package, so weight isn't an issue.
A nice reliable TV. We too have progressed up from the small Eureka Silverdome tent, Coleman popup, to the 23' trailer.

With your TV and family of 4 I would also suggest the option of the 16'. There will be times when that extra space will be so appreciated. Sure you can get away with the smaller one but give it some thought.

PS.... We too like the campsites favored by tenters and on a number of occasions we have slipped our 23' in tent rated/sized campsites. No problem.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #20

Missouri
We had/have a 10x10 Quest "EZ-UP", but it took 2 people and a lot of time and effort to
set up. The CLAM units take less than a minute for 1 person (not counting the stakes).
You can stand completely upright in the CLAM and be away from the bugs. With the optional
wind/privacy panels, it can become like an enclosed tent. The 1660 was about 1/3 the cost of
an awning for the Scamp and more versatile. 😊

Ray

Old 05-07-2015, 08:26 AM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
"EZ-UP" is a specific trade name.
Have several EZ-UP's,, one is now over 15 years old, and I can set up any of the newer ones (the older one is a commercial model & has a separate canopy) by myself, usually in about 5 minutes.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:40 AM   #22

Missouri
From the tent to a FGRV!

Sorry. 😥
I know EZ-UP is its own brand.

Our Quest is/was one of those accordion-fold things that we needed to pull from opposite
corners. Once we got it expanded and the top put on, we had to attach the screen (not the
no-see-um fine mesh) sides and maybe some wind/shade panels. There were lots of gaps in
ours for the bugs to get in. It seemed fine for back then.

The CLAM is now just so quick, easy, and fairly bug-free. 😊

Ray

Old 05-07-2015, 08:56 AM   #23

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
PS.... We too like the campsites favored by tenters and on a number of occasions we have slipped our 23' in tent rated/sized campsites. No problem.
Nice to know that your larger camper still gets in to great spots. I guess if we found a great deal on a larger egg, we could consider it, but I really do think we like the simplicity and ease of a smaller camper! Thank you!
Old 05-07-2015, 08:58 AM   #24

Colorado
Registry
Ray and Bob - I love the discussion on the awnings and shade tents, too! We always take it along, but we don't always set it up as it does take a bit to do so and sometimes it's more effort than it's worth. May have to look into the quicker clam style. I think we are getting soft in our older age Of course maybe that's a good job for the kids who are just at the right age to do all of the work!
Old 05-07-2015, 09:33 AM   #25

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Towable Toilet - NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
(clip) I wouldn't want anything bigger, and we certainly don't want a towable toilet. It's bad enough when we step into somebody's towable toilet, aka an RV with a bathroom, you can't totally get rid of the smell.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that many on this site, including myself, are highly offended by characterizing an FGRV as being a "Towable Toilet" in the negative sense. In fact, there have been a number of references made about the advantage of having a bathroom readily available , not only when camping, but also when on the road.

The only times I have had to confront odors that I found objectionable is when the owner/user of said toilet/portapotty just didn't bother to or know how to use any one of the many holding tank additives that not only control odors but also aid in breaking down of solid wastes.

As a guess, I think that about 90+% of those on the site have some sort of facilities in their FGRV's and this is the first time I have ever heard that negative reference, either spoken or implied.

And for the squeamish, that's a personal issue that needn't be applied to the rest of the group.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #26

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I notice you didn't include Casita in your initial list of brands. Our move from tent to FGRV was to a 13' Casita and we loved it. Also we felt just like you about the toilet, but the one we found was a used one with toilet. We didn't use the toilet for about a year, but then gradually got to love it, especially in the middle of the night. And if properly tended we never have any odor.

Walt
Old 05-07-2015, 12:20 PM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A 13'er with a toilet (as in bathroom, not port-potty) only sleeps two. The OP needs beds for 4. That said, Casitas with the front sofa/bunk layout do appear from time to time, so, yes, they are an option, as are U-Hauls, Burros, Trilliums, and any number of other 13' models with the same rear dinette, front sofa/bunk layout. With older ones, it's hit or miss whether the upper bunk is still in place and functional, so you'd have to check.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:46 PM   #28

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I think that many on this site, including myself, are highly offended by characterizing an FGRV as being a "Towable Toilet" in the negative sense. In fact, there have been a number of references made about the advantage of having a bathroom readily available , not only when camping, but also when on the road.
I am with Bob on this, I think the characterization is unwarranted and sounds more like sour grapes or envy. Personally, I am tickled to have my own “facility”. We don't use it much (or at all) currently but there was that one time I really NEEDED it while out on the road. And the extra 3’ of trailer is pretty sweet too. But to each his own. As I like to say a difference of opinion is how cheap whiskey sells and ugly people get dates.