From the tent to a FGRV! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-07-2015, 07:26 AM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
"EZ-UP" is a specific trade name.
Have several EZ-UP's,, one is now over 15 years old, and I can set up any of the newer ones (the older one is a commercial model & has a separate canopy) by myself, usually in about 5 minutes.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:40 AM   #22

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
From the tent to a FGRV!

Sorry. 😥
I know EZ-UP is its own brand.

Our Quest is/was one of those accordion-fold things that we needed to pull from opposite
corners. Once we got it expanded and the top put on, we had to attach the screen (not the
no-see-um fine mesh) sides and maybe some wind/shade panels. There were lots of gaps in
ours for the bugs to get in. It seemed fine for back then.

The CLAM is now just so quick, easy, and fairly bug-free. 😊

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:56 AM   #23

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
PS.... We too like the campsites favored by tenters and on a number of occasions we have slipped our 23' in tent rated/sized campsites. No problem.
Nice to know that your larger camper still gets in to great spots. I guess if we found a great deal on a larger egg, we could consider it, but I really do think we like the simplicity and ease of a smaller camper! Thank you!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:58 AM   #24

Colorado
Registry
Ray and Bob - I love the discussion on the awnings and shade tents, too! We always take it along, but we don't always set it up as it does take a bit to do so and sometimes it's more effort than it's worth. May have to look into the quicker clam style. I think we are getting soft in our older age Of course maybe that's a good job for the kids who are just at the right age to do all of the work!
Old 05-07-2015, 08:33 AM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Towable Toilet - NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
(clip) I wouldn't want anything bigger, and we certainly don't want a towable toilet. It's bad enough when we step into somebody's towable toilet, aka an RV with a bathroom, you can't totally get rid of the smell.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that many on this site, including myself, are highly offended by characterizing an FGRV as being a "Towable Toilet" in the negative sense. In fact, there have been a number of references made about the advantage of having a bathroom readily available , not only when camping, but also when on the road.

The only times I have had to confront odors that I found objectionable is when the owner/user of said toilet/portapotty just didn't bother to or know how to use any one of the many holding tank additives that not only control odors but also aid in breaking down of solid wastes.

As a guess, I think that about 90+% of those on the site have some sort of facilities in their FGRV's and this is the first time I have ever heard that negative reference, either spoken or implied.

And for the squeamish, that's a personal issue that needn't be applied to the rest of the group.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #26

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I notice you didn't include Casita in your initial list of brands. Our move from tent to FGRV was to a 13' Casita and we loved it. Also we felt just like you about the toilet, but the one we found was a used one with toilet. We didn't use the toilet for about a year, but then gradually got to love it, especially in the middle of the night. And if properly tended we never have any odor.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:20 AM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A 13'er with a toilet (as in bathroom, not port-potty) only sleeps two. The OP needs beds for 4. That said, Casitas with the front sofa/bunk layout do appear from time to time, so, yes, they are an option, as are U-Hauls, Burros, Trilliums, and any number of other 13' models with the same rear dinette, front sofa/bunk layout. With older ones, it's hit or miss whether the upper bunk is still in place and functional, so you'd have to check.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #28

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I think that many on this site, including myself, are highly offended by characterizing an FGRV as being a "Towable Toilet" in the negative sense. In fact, there have been a number of references made about the advantage of having a bathroom readily available , not only when camping, but also when on the road.
I am with Bob on this, I think the characterization is unwarranted and sounds more like sour grapes or envy. Personally, I am tickled to have my own “facility”. We don't use it much (or at all) currently but there was that one time I really NEEDED it while out on the road. And the extra 3’ of trailer is pretty sweet too. But to each his own. As I like to say a difference of opinion is how cheap whiskey sells and ugly people get dates.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #29

Arizona
Registry
...and how forum threads get filled.

Somehow we managed to make many long trips with young children before we bought a trailer. And yes, there were some tense moments, but we never felt inclined to carry a porta-potty in the back of our van. Now that we have the trailer... to quote a senior member, "You can't miss what you've never had."
Old 05-09-2015, 04:11 PM   #30

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
The speed limit for towing is 55 in Oregon, as well. I can't imagine trying to stop my Jeep AND my trailer in an emergency if I was traveling over 55 mph.

As far as the toilet issue, mine has never smelled -- maybe the wrong choice of chemicals is the problem or not flushing the tank well enough??

The best of luck finding your perfect 13-footer, emij. Let the fun begin!
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Have to wonder how many that object to having a toilet in their trailer have a toilet in their house?
And, how many of those never go to the bathroom?
Old 05-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #32
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev in Oregon View Post
The speed limit for towing is 55 in Oregon, as well. I can't imagine trying to stop my Jeep AND my trailer in an emergency if I was traveling over 55 mph.
At times we don't have a choice and need to do an emergency stop. That is one reason we have a dual axle trailer with 4 big 12" X 2" brakes. I makes those panic stops a non issue. The high performance 4 wheel disc brakes in the G35 TV help to.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #33

Colorado
Registry
I'm excited to let you all know that we found and put down a deposit on a 1982 Scamp today! It's located in New Mexico and we will be travelling there for our daughter's gymnastics competition soon, and they agreed to hold it for us until we can get it picked up. It's in ready to camp form. The will have it ready with new tires and bearings, fill the propane, new battery, add flip down jacks and wax/polish it before we pick it up. From pictures looks like all it needs is for me to sew new cushion covers and take it on the road! We are SO EXCITED!! I know I will have to look around or start a new thread about questions I have, but that will all come after we pick it up And it even comes with a little stow away port a potty, just in case
Old 05-09-2015, 07:06 PM   #34

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
I have no issues about having a toilet in a camper. But in a 16' scamp, the shower head unittakes a lot of room. I took it out.what a difference. The whole camper was improved. Yes, we will have a porta potty in it. If I ever get to the point I need a enclosed toilet, I would probably get a bigger camper.
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:18 PM   #35

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Congrats on your find!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:06 AM   #36

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
I'm excited to let you all know that we found and put down a deposit on a 1982 Scamp today!

Congratulations!! I remember how excited I was when I got my Bigfoot, & I'll bet a lot of others on this forum remember their excitement when getting their first trailer, too. "Oh, the places you'll go!"

Here's to upcoming great adventures for you & your family. You do realize you'll need to post pictures when the time comes? It's required.
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:23 AM   #37

Colorado
Registry
Thank you all! Will definitely post pictures once we get it home! I love seeing everyone else's, so will be sure to share!
Old 05-24-2015, 10:35 PM   #38

Colorado
Registry
We are home with our new (to us) Scamp! We picked it up in Hatch, NM over the weekend while we were in Albuquerque for our daughter's gymnastics competition. My husband went down on Friday and spent three hours going over the camper with the seller. It came from an RV place there and was on consignment. They were fantastic. They installed jacks, repacked the bearings, put on new tires, rewired our four pin connector for us, check that the axle was in good condition while they had the tires and wheels off, painted the hitch and bumper and various other helpful things that we won't have to do. Being that it is a 1982, there are a few cosmetic things that we want to do and I will have questions on those, I'm sure (We started making a list on the way home). We will also be removing a large antenna from the roof and pulling all of the cables associated with that. The water line from the fresh water tank seems to be in a weird spot, running from the curb side dinette bench (where the fill valve and tank are), across in front of the dinette, into and under the sink counter. It may be a modification as well, but we'll be moving that, too. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow and create a new thread with questions but we are so exicited!! It towed like it wasn't there the entire way back to Denver. So happy to be home and ready to make it our own!
Old 05-24-2015, 10:39 PM   #39

Arizona
Registry
Congratulations! Enjoy your new Scamp! Glad everything went well with the seller and the trip home.

Many happy travels!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:18 AM   #40

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
The water line from the fresh water tank seems to be in a weird spot, running from the curb side dinette bench (where the fill valve and tank are), across in front of the dinette, into and under the sink counter. It may be a modification as well, but we'll be moving that, too.
Definitely a previous owner mod - originally it would have run along the back of the camper and under the street side bench - good news is that it's easily replaced, you'll just need to pull the dinette benches to run the new line, and they are some of the easier ones to remove. This will also give you the opportunity to fully inspect for any water damage to the floor under there.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote