From the tent to a FGRV! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-09-2015, 09:03 AM   #29

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
...and how forum threads get filled.

Somehow we managed to make many long trips with young children before we bought a trailer. And yes, there were some tense moments, but we never felt inclined to carry a porta-potty in the back of our van. Now that we have the trailer... to quote a senior member, "You can't miss what you've never had."

Old 05-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #30

Name: Evelyn
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot B17-DLX
Oregon Coast
Registry
The speed limit for towing is 55 in Oregon, as well. I can't imagine trying to stop my Jeep AND my trailer in an emergency if I was traveling over 55 mph.

As far as the toilet issue, mine has never smelled -- maybe the wrong choice of chemicals is the problem or not flushing the tank well enough??

The best of luck finding your perfect 13-footer, emij. Let the fun begin!

Old 05-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #31

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Have to wonder how many that object to having a toilet in their trailer have a toilet in their house?
And, how many of those never go to the bathroom?
Old 05-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #32
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev in Oregon View Post
The speed limit for towing is 55 in Oregon, as well. I can't imagine trying to stop my Jeep AND my trailer in an emergency if I was traveling over 55 mph.
At times we don't have a choice and need to do an emergency stop. That is one reason we have a dual axle trailer with 4 big 12" X 2" brakes. I makes those panic stops a non issue. The high performance 4 wheel disc brakes in the G35 TV help to.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #33

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 Layout 7
Colorado
Registry
I'm excited to let you all know that we found and put down a deposit on a 1982 Scamp today! It's located in New Mexico and we will be travelling there for our daughter's gymnastics competition soon, and they agreed to hold it for us until we can get it picked up. It's in ready to camp form. The will have it ready with new tires and bearings, fill the propane, new battery, add flip down jacks and wax/polish it before we pick it up. From pictures looks like all it needs is for me to sew new cushion covers and take it on the road! We are SO EXCITED!! I know I will have to look around or start a new thread about questions I have, but that will all come after we pick it up And it even comes with a little stow away port a potty, just in case
Old 05-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #34

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
I have no issues about having a toilet in a camper. But in a 16' scamp, the shower head unittakes a lot of room. I took it out.what a difference. The whole camper was improved. Yes, we will have a porta potty in it. If I ever get to the point I need a enclosed toilet, I would probably get a bigger camper.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:18 PM   #35

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Congrats on your find!
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:06 AM   #36

Name: Evelyn
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot B17-DLX
Oregon Coast
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
I'm excited to let you all know that we found and put down a deposit on a 1982 Scamp today!

Congratulations!! I remember how excited I was when I got my Bigfoot, & I'll bet a lot of others on this forum remember their excitement when getting their first trailer, too. "Oh, the places you'll go!"

Here's to upcoming great adventures for you & your family. You do realize you'll need to post pictures when the time comes? It's required.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #37

Colorado
Registry
Thank you all! Will definitely post pictures once we get it home! I love seeing everyone else's, so will be sure to share!
Old 05-24-2015, 11:35 PM   #38

Colorado
Registry
We are home with our new (to us) Scamp! We picked it up in Hatch, NM over the weekend while we were in Albuquerque for our daughter's gymnastics competition. My husband went down on Friday and spent three hours going over the camper with the seller. It came from an RV place there and was on consignment. They were fantastic. They installed jacks, repacked the bearings, put on new tires, rewired our four pin connector for us, check that the axle was in good condition while they had the tires and wheels off, painted the hitch and bumper and various other helpful things that we won't have to do. Being that it is a 1982, there are a few cosmetic things that we want to do and I will have questions on those, I'm sure (We started making a list on the way home). We will also be removing a large antenna from the roof and pulling all of the cables associated with that. The water line from the fresh water tank seems to be in a weird spot, running from the curb side dinette bench (where the fill valve and tank are), across in front of the dinette, into and under the sink counter. It may be a modification as well, but we'll be moving that, too. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow and create a new thread with questions but we are so exicited!! It towed like it wasn't there the entire way back to Denver. So happy to be home and ready to make it our own!
Old 05-24-2015, 11:39 PM   #39

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations! Enjoy your new Scamp! Glad everything went well with the seller and the trip home.

Many happy travels!
Old 05-26-2015, 10:18 AM   #40

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
The water line from the fresh water tank seems to be in a weird spot, running from the curb side dinette bench (where the fill valve and tank are), across in front of the dinette, into and under the sink counter. It may be a modification as well, but we'll be moving that, too.
Definitely a previous owner mod - originally it would have run along the back of the camper and under the street side bench - good news is that it's easily replaced, you'll just need to pull the dinette benches to run the new line, and they are some of the easier ones to remove. This will also give you the opportunity to fully inspect for any water damage to the floor under there.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:55 PM   #41

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
Definitely a previous owner mod - originally it would have run along the back of the camper and under the street side bench - good news is that it's easily replaced, you'll just need to pull the dinette benches to run the new line, and they are some of the easier ones to remove. This will also give you the opportunity to fully inspect for any water damage to the floor under there.
Just as I suspected! Thank you for the precise location and instructions! Adding this to my Friday list!

We got the antenna pulled and the holes patched on Monday. Removed all the cupboard doors and I am in the process of stripping off the paint and will refinish the wood. Washed the inside walls, polished up all the windows and the belly band. Ordered new stripe, new Scamp decals, door seal, window seals, rivet covers, cushion covers and tire cover from Scamp and Vintage Trailer today. Washed the curtains, which look brand new. Still hoping to get pictures posted soon. Maybe befores and afters
Old 05-26-2015, 11:01 PM   #42

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Congratulations! Enjoy your new Scamp! Glad everything went well with the seller and the trip home.

Many happy travels!
The seller was fantastic. They spent a lot of time letting my husband go over the camper, answering any questions, checking into and adjusting/fixing any items he had questions about. They know the guy who consigned the camper to them, so they had a lot of information about modifications and where the camper has been and how it has been cared for. They really were fantastic to work with, just a small RV sales place, with great customer service. Definitely happy with our purchase!