Full-timer in the oil fields checking in - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2014, 11:55 PM   #1

Name: Christian
Trailer: 2014 EggCamper
All over TX and NM
Full-timer in the oil fields checking in

Hey everybody.

I found this community when searching for the Eggcamper. I just put a deposit down on one with Jim and am really looking forward to taking delivery.

I decided on a small molded fiberglass RV for several reasons. I live in a travel trailer when I am in the field for work for months at a time. A lot of guys prefer much larger trailers, but being the practical person that I am most of the time, a smaller fiberglass trailer REALLY appealed to me. Less chance of leaking, a MUCH smaller footprint to pull around the not-so-great roads that I frequently encounter, and perhaps most appealing - no sticks and staples interior.

I have been sharing a trailer with a longtime friend of mine who does the same thing that I do, and have been really put off by the quality and durability of the interior appointments of our trailer, even though it is a reliable brand and was purchased brand new a couple of years ago. All of the trailers I have been into have the same problem. It doesn't seem to matter how "nice" and expensive the trailer is. The furniture just sucks. The idea of a molded interior with minimal extra space filled with garbage particle board appointments was a huge factor for me.

Finally, getting such a compact trailer is a great look for me because I much prefer a half-ton pickup truck, as opposed to a 3/4 ton. I basically just sleep and shower in the trailer, so I don't need a ton of room, and the size savings will allow me to save on fuel and not have to be one of the many guys out here that "need" a $80K 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup to effectively tow their shells around.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text - just wanted y'all to know where I am coming from. I look forward to participating here. Have a great week! ©
C-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:03 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the FGRV forum family. Your choice in minimalistic living is similar to most people on the site.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:29 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to the forum, a lot of info here for you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:05 AM   #4

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
C-dub - if you are taking this trailer to the Dakotas, then be very careful about insulation, dual pane windows and size of furnace. Those winters are about as bad as it gets!

I did see an advertisement once for a "campground" up there that was essentially inside a giant metal building. If you are in one of those, then insulation doesn't matter much.

Good luck finding your egg!
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:28 AM   #5

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I have a Eggcamper and l love it! I am sure your going to love yours also. I had been looking for a long time for a used one when I found the perfect one. The PO had already done all the mods I would have done to it.
Enjoy!!!
Old 10-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #6

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Post some pictures when you get it Christian. And welcome. You will want to modify it some as time goes on. Lots of good info in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:56 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Form Member Cyndi B is in the oil fields, MT I think it was

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...unt-62227.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post489497
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #8

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
The Montana home is sitting in the front yard of our sticky Montana home next to the Scamp. It's for sale, skirting and all. You can make it through a winter if you can keep everything unthawed. The county is going after the "campgrounds" that have sprung up on peoples properties And if you get into a compliant site it's not as cheap living as you think and there aren't many amenities.

My husband lived in the Scamp in North Dakota until about October then we moved into a bigger 5th wheel. Some of the campgrounds there would only let you stay two weeks because they didn't want the oil guys taking up space.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #9

Iowa
Registry
Montana in the Oil Field

That' the big girl we lived in. 32' feet with a super slide, all the skirting, wrapped water hose and poopy pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0279.jpg  
Old 11-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #10

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Did that slide cause any drafts. Would you recommend a slide in a cold climate or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #11

Iowa
Registry
The walls would freeze in the corners even though we had skirting underneath.. In fact all the corners froze and you had to leave cabinets open to keep the warm air going through them. They usually will run a space heater under the camper to keep it warm but we kept blowing fuses. And sometimes you were froze in and sometime froze out because the lock would freeze.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #12

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I found that with my 5th wheel, that the slides were a problem in winter. The slide room itself is not insulated as well as the body of the trailer, and the seals have some gaps, creating drafts.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #13

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Oh Cyndi. Unthawed means frozen. I'm fairly sure you didn't mean THAT. As for the EggCamper. I've had one for more than 3 years and have gone south in it for the winter. Be aware that the built in 2000 watt electric heater is unlikely to be of much use in North Dakota if that's where you're going. You're gonna need a furnace. I had one installed after market because the electric wasn't enough in some situations. Also, long hot showers can't happen in there with a 2 gallon water heater unless they're now putting in a larger one. Very little insulation and single pane windows. Other than those restrictions, it's been a wonderful trailer. Probably wouldn't matter to you but the dinette converted to a bed is not long enough for an adult unless VERY short. Those restrictions are why I have ordered an Escape 19. My EggCamper will be for sale in the spring after I get back home from the south.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #14

Iowa
Registry
Yeah, thawed out not unthawed. My bad. My furnace this winter is a 30 some year old boiler in a pit under a house in Eastern Montana. Hot water heat. Too bad this furnace isn't as new as the one back in Iowa but beats watching the frost go up the walls in a camper. Watched the neighbors son who lives in 5th wheel on her property putting up the "pink" board. Getting our first snow storm tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:30 AM   #15

All over TX and NM
Headed up to not-so-sunny Granville, MI to meet with Jim Palmer and sign for my new EggCamper on Friday morning. I will take plenty of pics. My transport pickup should be happening same day and I will have the trailer back in south Texas by Monday or Tuesday! Very excited!
Old 11-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #16

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Have a safe trip!
I'm looking forward to your pictures to see what a brand new Eggcamper looks like.....wonder if there have been any changes. We were lucky enough to find a slightly used one here in Florida, and have enjoyed many weekend trips in it. We find it to be just perfect!
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #17

All over TX and NM
New EggCamper in the house! (photos)

I went up to the great white north and met with Jim Palmer at the EggCamper factory. He is truly one of the most fascinating people I have met in my life. Had a great time talking to him about the finer points of the EggCamper design, his experimental aircraft builds, and his new recumbent bike concept. Such a talented guy who has lead a pretty extraordinary and rich life.

I had the trailer shipped down to south Texas because I didn't want to spend the time on my days off driving back and forth to Michigan, although since my plane ticket was almost $800 I am not sure if I saved any actual money that way. The trailer was put into tow on Friday night in MI and just arrived about 20 minutes ago to my home in South Texas. The couple who brought it down were very pleasant and professional, and I was impressed that they covered that distance in just over 48 hours. They even stopped by the local wash and sprayed off the road dust before they arrived. I was very pleased with the service.

Here are some photos I took on Friday morning at the factory. I haven't done anything to the camper yet, but have a short list of must-add items before I head out to the field, including my mattress (Bed In A Box Pac Bed 11" memory foam just arrived) a tongue box, a rear bumper spare mount, some shelves, and a TV mount. I think I am also going to set up a couple of additional outlets inside, because, well, you can't have too many outlets.

The new Egg in all it's stock glory!

Old 11-17-2014, 06:42 AM   #18

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
You'll love your EggCamper. Had mine since 2011. Got it from Jim. Used it for a while as all electric and wasn't satisfied so had a propane furnace and cooktop added. In total, I have added over $3400 in extras and built two new tables. Don't know if this matters to you but the dinette as a bed is too short for an adult unless very short. For that reason and the small water heater and small fresh water tank and small holding tanks, mine will be for sale in the spring (going to Florida for the winter) and will be replaced with an Escape 19. I got my awning at the factory. If you want one I suggest you do the same. I knew I was NOT going to drill mounting holes completely through the side of the trailer. It tows very well with both 6 and 8 cylinder engines. My least capable tow vehicle was a Chrysler minivan and it did fine. Enjoy.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #19

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Very nice Christian! So shiny too 😍
Curious to know what some of the finer parts of the design are!
Sounds like you had a great time meeting Jim Palmer.
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #20

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Hi Christian,
The new Egg looks real nice!
Anyone having experience or comments about drilling holes in the Eggcamper? That knowledge would be appreciated. We just bought a used 2012 Eggcamper and would like to install an awning, solar and maybe some other mods to the exterior of the camper. So, I would like to know how the factory attaches things to the outside of the Eggcamper or any tips on: to drill or not, where to drill, and where not to, what you run into when drilling an Eggcamper, what screws, sealant, to use etc. Someone commented that they considered using industrial strength Velcro to hold the solar panels on the roof. Anyone have experience with fiberglass & velcro holding ability? I use Ind. strength Velcro often, but have never used it on Fiberglass. I would worry that eventually, even with Ind. strength, the hold would fail.
Thank-You
Mark
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote