Future Scamp owner! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-18-2016, 06:42 PM   #1

Name: trish
Trailer: In the market
California
Future Scamp owner!

Hi Everyone! My name is Trish and I live in Sacramento, CA. I have been camping for 40 years(I'm 47) and am in the market for a trailer. I currently have a '68 Aristrocrat, so cute, but no bathroom! So I have been looking and looking, and a fiberglass model seems like its the best bet. We have some water damage to the ol' Risty because she is full of seams. My understanding is that the fiberglass trailers have limited leaks and hold their value.
I have a couple if questions:
1. There is carpet on the ceiling of the Scamp shower. Does anyone have any mold issues because of that?
2. My husband is 6'1, would a side or front shower be a better option?
3. I really like the deluxe wood option. How much more does that add to the total weight of the trailer(we would be pulling it with a Toyota Tacoma)?
4. Lastly, are there any Scamp owners in Northern California that would love to show off their trailer so I can get an idea of what they look like in real life?
Looking forward to your comments and thoughts, Trish
trishar647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:39 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Future Scamp owner!

Welcome, Trish!

(1) It's not carpet. It's marine-grade headliner. Mold should not be an issue as long as you ventilate during a shower and dry down after, which is SOP in any wet bath.

(2) The front bath has about 5" more headroom in the shower pan and more space overall. At 6'1" he will still have to stoop, though. I believe some people shower sitting down in the side bath. It's pretty tiny.

(3) That is debated. The deluxe models do tend to weigh a little more, maybe 100-200 pounds, but they also have more cabinets and storage, aa well as more standard equipment.

There is one deluxe (and several standards) in the "Trailer Weights in the Real World" database. It's the first thread in the General Chat section- post #297 links to a spreadsheet of the data. Very helpful when trailer shopping because these are loaded-for-camping weights, not misleading dry weights (that don't include options, batteries, propane, water, or any of your stuff).

Not weight related, but deluxe models also have a wider bed (54" versus 45" in the standard). The side dinette, front bath deluxe layout has an odd, cantilevered galley that leaves the stove partly hanging over the dinette. Haven't seen it in person, but the idea is a turn-off for me.

(4) If you don't get any offers here, Scamp has a referral program that connects potential buyers with local owners for demos. Their sales department can set you up.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
It sounds like you are heading in the right direction - the Scamp 19 deluxe. I just measured the bathroom: the ceiling is white plastic coated board, 7'3" high from the sump. Storage cabinets above. Those "boards" are wood veneer on one side, plastic on the other.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #4

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
Hi Trish, I have a 2015 Scamp 16 standard, front bath near Sacramento. PM me if you are interested to arrange a look at it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Fiberglass RV mobile app
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #5

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
Hi Trish,
We have a 2024 Scamp 16 with the side bath and live in the Pocket area of Sacramento. We would be happy to show it to you.
Doug
Doug in Sacramento is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:06 PM   #6

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Trish,

Welcome! Looks like you are a seasoned camper and the Scamp will bring you and your hubby years of adventure and travel fun. Look forward to seeing what you end up buying. Wishing you the best!

Take care,

Dean

Tags
scamp