Getting back into trailering - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-05-2019, 10:01 AM   #1

Name: Alex
Trailer: In the market
New Mexico
Getting back into trailering

Hi everyone,

After a long absence, we’re getting back into trailering. I want a trailer that I can tow with my 2015 Kia Sorento SX (3.3 V6, 3500 towing limit). There are just two of us, we recently retired to Albuquerque, NM. I am attracted to Casita trailers, but open to the collective wisdom of the group. Probably will get a used unit to start, and want a bathroom and queen bed. Budget in $10-20k range. All suggestions are welcome.

Alex.
Expattyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Study up on bed size, on Casita if you really want at least a queen, then only the Liberty will get you there. To get the big bed, you give up seating area, which to me is a poor trade. RV manufacturers are pretty loose with terms on bed size, creating their own definition of queen, twin, and so on. Arm yourself with the real sizes if you want to do a comparison.

Myself, I am not towing a 17 foot Casita with your Sorento. But others may be OK with it. The newest Sorrentos have up to a 5,000 pound tow rating which would be ideal.

I'd be looking at a 16 instead, which is lighter in weight, but also lower ceiling. There is a nice, older 17 foot Casita Freedom for sale right now (not mine). Casitas are known for heavy tongue weight because of their design. You may well be over the limit on your Kia.

The Casita Spirit and Freedom models both have a side dinette. I had a Liberty several years ago. If I ever did a Casita again, I would go with the Spirit. Smallish bed sizes can be made OK for many people by sleeping in opposite directions (head for one on the curb side, head for the other person on the road side). Its suprising how much bigger a bed will appear by doing this simple change. No place to sit (in the case of the Liberty) would be a non-starter for us.

Weights in the real world show real Casita weights.

An Escape 17 is another fine choice, much harder to find, and tend to be at the higher end of your budget.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote