Getting ready to tow - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-08-2015, 11:26 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Washington
Getting ready to tow

Hi all. After more than 30 years camping in and out of mini vans, my wife and I are ready for a little more headroom. Really like this site - people and style. Starting out slow, we want something small. We camp very light, so looking at the Little Joe from Weiscraft. I'm hoping to get a little feedback from anyone who has had any experience with this trailer. Maybe get to see one. We are in the Seattle area. Our tow vehicle will be Subaru Outback. No tow experience, but reading all I can find. Thanks, Jim
JAY-N-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:40 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Welcome to the FGRV forum family Jim. I have not owned a Little Joe, but saw one once in a parking lot.... I had pulled up next to him in our 13' Scamp and we compared notes. I really preferred our Scamp over his, but to each his own.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:16 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to the group Jim. You may not want to limit yourself to just one trailer brand as there are many small rigs out there. If you could get to a rally that would give you a first hand look at many in one place. Towing isn't difficult and not rocket science, mostly common sense. Just a few basics to learn, stopping distances are longer, turning clearance is a bit more and learn to use your mirrors.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #4

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Match the trailer and tow vehicle and play safe

Best hookup depends on size; Width and length of trailer and tow vehicle type

We use a car so it is different setup than with a truck

Our trailer is 8' wide and 17.5 ft long; the smaller ones are usually 7' wide and not as tall we have found the right one for us we call it our 17' cottage

Have towed using a full size van, large car, Corolla (newer larger Corolla) and even a Toyota echo; different rigs

Largest was a 27' woods trailer using a full size Dodge propane aspired v8 van
Smallest was an 8' tent trailer only required a class 1 hitch under 500 lbs loaded

Like to use a sway bar with any solid walled unit a little breeze can need taming

As from experience like to have trailer brakes for any load over 500 lbs

Chat and learn the rules for your area and find out about different setups; you will find most like trailer brakes and if the trailer did not have them, they have added brakes "Safety first"

Welcome to a great site
Old 03-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #5

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Outback as is can tow 2500 lbs but some areas have rules for brakes 3000 lbs, 2000 lbs, 1500 lbs or as in my area 3500 lbs or 50% rule if the trailer is equal to 50% of the weight of your Subaru or more you will need brakes.
Best rule I personally feel is the lowest common denominator so you can go any where any time; no limits.

Note: weights are loaded weights and gov rules supper seed any other rules
Old 03-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Little Joe
Ontario
We have a Little Joe. They are good trailers but if you are looking for a trailer with a little room a Scamp has more. But the bed is smaller. It just depends on what you are looking for.
W Dave K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:02 PM   #7

Name: Jim
Washington
We are trying to start out small The Little Joe N-S bed is similar to what we've been doing with our van camping for several decades. Just being able to stand up to dress will be a great improvement. Not too sure how much inside food prep we will want to do, almost always cook outside. May want the Little Joe without the kitchen modules. Will be towing with 4 cylinder Subaru Outback and I plan to keep total tow weight under 2000#. Plan on getting electric brakes, although manufacture says its not needed. We do a lot of river canoe camping and travel light. I would really appreciate real world information on Little Joe quality of workmanship, functionality, durability, and especially how it tows. Does it substantially reduce milage, does it act as a car moving sail in cross winds, what is the actual exterior fender to fender width. I've been getting good response from manufacture, but some dimensions don't add up. Still looking at The Scamp 13 as well, although I'm not fond of E-W bed layout. At least there are several in my area to view, touch, measure. No Little Joes I know of here in the PNW. Thanks all for your kind input. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
JAY-N-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #8

Name: Brant
Trailer: Hunter I
California
Registry
Hi Jim, I do not own a Little Joe but was able to get a up close look at one last year at a rally. I really loved it and was surprised by how large the bed was, plus I'm really crazy about all rear entry trailers and motorhomes. I love the feel and layout they provide. I consider myself a very lite camper and have always cooked outside as that's what I perfer. If your looking for a large bed, lightweight and easy to tow trailer I think you should consider a little joe, trails west campster, compact Jr. or hunter these are all your basic entry level molded fiberglass trailers and the most lightweight out there.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Outback and Little Joe should be a good combo. This trailer has the smallest frontal area of any FG trailer that's available brand new. I would guess that you should get 16 or 17 mpg, maybe a bit more.

Hopefully a Little Joe owner can give you some real measurements from his/her trailer.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:38 AM   #10

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome Jim
Old 03-11-2015, 05:15 AM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I have never seen one so I can't comment. But if I wanted to see one I would call the manufacturer. Most have a list of owners that will show their trailer. Usually they get paid if it results in a sale. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Thanks for joining

Tony
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote