Going To Aqua Caliente Meet ACCIDENT - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: Bigfoot 25
California
Registry
Going To Aqua Caliente Meet ACCIDENT

I left Los Angeles at 9am on Friday morning towing my Fiber Stream to the get together at Aqua Caliente. As you know, It was raining on and off the entire way, but me and my new Toyota Tacoma and new to me Fiber Stream were doing just fine. We were just entering Warner Springs when an on coming SUV hydroplaned at excessive speed..I saw him coming and there was not a thing I could do to avoid the oncoming accident. He hit me and the trailer at about 65 to 70 miles per hour. The trailer flipped and totally disintegrated. My new Toyota, I am told is also totalled.

The good news is that my granddaughter and I and Bella are just fine. Other than some soreness and minor bruises, we came through just fine. The Highway Patrol took us to San Ysabel and dropped us off at a gas station whilst we awaited my family to arrive from LA to pick us up. 7 Hours later we were rescued and spent the night in Ramona.

This morning, I was able to get to the tow yard before leaving for home to retrieve some of our belongings. The trailer was not there and no one seems to know where it was taken to. Thank GOD I had good insurance on both vehicles.

The Highway patrol called the campsite and talked to the manager there asking them to relay a message to the group that I had been involved in an accident..hopefully you got that message..I asked the manager to tell Rosemary and Steve Rizzo.

I'm sorry that I never got the opportunity to meet you all or show you my little FS...I'll start looking for another and perhaps in the future our paths will cross again.

I never even got a chance to use my little FS..this was our maiden voyage! It was a 1st in so many ways..never had an accident like that either.

All my best to all
Karen
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #2

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Holy crap, I'm so glad you guys are okay! But so awful to have lost your truck and trailer, really sorry to hear that.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
OH MY! Karen, I'm so sorry to hear this, but very glad you, your grandaughter and Bella are fine. Trailers can be replaced. Please stay in touch.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #4

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Boy, that is scary wrecking at that speed! Not many San Diego drivers are very good at rain driving due to lack of practice. They tend to go too fast and use poor judgment. The roads are really slick the first day of a rain storm, and it catches people off guard. In some places water washes across a road and can be pretty hard to judge the depth. A few drivers are swept away by chancing the crossing. I'm glad to hear you are OK, and sorry your weekend and equipment were ruined.
Take care,
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Adverse Weather Conditions

Whew, Karen, that's really an unfortunate accident, but thankfully, you and your loved ones are here to write about it. You can replace the trailer and truck.

I don't like to travel on the highways in rain or snow. We spun around on an icy patch on I-5 in Oregon once, and I thought we were gonners. Luckily, no one hit us. And that was without towing anything. I think I'll stick to fair-weather towing conditions, even if that limits it to summer only. ( I guess there's always thunderstorms then, too! )

Best wishes,
Fran
1974 Compact II
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #6

Name: Sheryl
Trailer: '99 Casita 17'LD
Montana
Registry
I am so glad you are all fine...
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #7

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Wow! Thats so sad about your new trailer and truck, but thank god you and your granddaughter are safe! We live where it rains a lot, and this is a big fear for us.

I hope it all works out for you and good luck
bomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
So Sorry your first big outing went so bad!! Scary but so glad to hear you and your loved ones are fine. Hope it does not scare you from towing again. Strange they dont know where your trailer and all your personal stuff in it is though....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I'm really glad you and your loved ones are ok. What a scary thing for your granddaughter. Your guardian angels must have been protecting you.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Wow, talk about Friday the 13th jinx. Glad everyone was not hurt.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #11

California
Registry
Thanks to all. I'm still waiting for those who did get there to respond and know what happened and why I did not show up. Hannah and I were so looking forward to meeting everyone and enjoying our 1st outing in our new trailer. Still no word on the trailer location, but hopefully will know by Monday. I am told the insurance company will obtain our personal belongings if any remain intact.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #12

Registry
Karen, there is no internet access or cell phone coverage at the park so you may have to wait until tonight for them to respond.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #13

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
That sucks in the worst way! The truck can be replaced, the Fiberstream maybe not. You and yours are lucky.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #14

Name: Austin
Trailer: 2003 13' Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
Karen,

We just got back from Agua Caliente and did get the message from the CHP. We were all so sorry to hear about your accident but are thankful everyone (minus the Fiberstream) came out ok. Everyone at AC was very concerned about you and even attempted to contact CHP, Park Rangers, and whomever else could give us more info to see if you guys needed help hauling stuff home. Again, so glad you are ok- someone at the rally said it best- trailers can be replaced!

Looking forward to meeting you at another rally in the future!
ajn81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajn81 View Post
Karen,

We just got back from Agua Caliente and did get the message from the CHP.

Now I know the rest of the story. Others are staying through Monday, so we'll hear from them later in the week.

It was so frustrating and we all were VERY concerned as the message that reached us had the barest minimum of information. The note that reached us stated that the accident happened near Julian and we were all sure you went over a cliff!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:48 AM   #16

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
awwww that really sucks... so glad your gonna be ok though. the rest can be replaced.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Eric and I are so glad you are ok. The message was relayed through the CHP, to SD Parks to to the campground to Rosemary and I... and said that the accident had happened close to Julian, the trailer was totaled but that you were uninjured. We tried to find out more information through one of the rangers but couldn't find out anything. Not having cell service was very frustrating!

I truly hope that you aren't soured on the idea, will get another trailer and we can all meet.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #18

California
Registry
Thanks to everyone for all your thoughtful responses to my post. It was a traumatic experience, but as I stated we came through just fine. I am in the process of working through the insurance claims and we are still trying to locate the trailer..to date..no yet located.

I believe the truck will be totalled as it was spanking brand new..allowing me to replace it rather than have it fixed and have that report on my car fax info. I had full insurance on both vehicles so I think I'll be in good shape to replace them.

I'm glad the CHP got some message through to all staying at Aqua Cliente..even if wrong, at least you all knew something had happened. The accident was about 4-5 miles from the turn off onto S2. Saw it coming and had nothing I could do to avoid it. We are all fine and back to living and life...just working through the claims now.

Thank you all for kindness..hope to meet again someday in the near future.
Karen
Old 05-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #19

Registry
Karen did you ever find your trailer and belongings???
Old 05-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #20

California
Registry
Now a Casita Owner

After having been involved in that accident on the way to the FTMeet-up, I was able to replace my truck with another new Toyota Tacoma and as of Saturday, was able to replace the lost Fiber Stream with a Casita Liberty Deluxe.

Just got back tonight from buying it in Arizona and hauling it back to Los Angeles. What a trip! The Casita is a 1999 Liberty Deluxe in excellent condition, purchased from the original owners who kept it immaculately. I was just plain lucky to get it period.

Perhaps sometime this summer we'll have a chance to meet you all after all.

As for the belongings in the FS..they were stolen! A report has been filed with the CHP and they are investigating. Meanwhile I have filed yet another claim with my insurance on my stolen property. Everything was taken..the trailer was stripped clean. They did leave a carton of eggs but took everything else including my clothing and Hannah's.

Thanks Carol for asking and following up.
Karen