Good models to sleep 4 and pull with wrangler (<3000 pounds) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2016, 08:24 AM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: shopping
Virginia
Good models to sleep 4 and pull with wrangler (<3000 pounds)

Hello,

I'm a new member and we're looking into buying our first camping trailer. This is a big step up from tent camping. My tow vehicle is a 2015 Jeep Wrangler: 3500 pounds max, 350 tongue weight, and 35 sq/ft frontal area are the limits.

In a trailer we want to find a used model hopefully under $10k with a toilet/shower, AC, heat, and sleeping room for 2 adults and two kids (currently 3 and 5). They can share a bed if it's at least twin sized, or they use bunks.

From poking around it looks like a scamp 16 (layout 4) or a Casita 16 (maybe 17, but it's heavier) would fit the bill. Any input from owners? Other models to look for?
zimm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Greg!

The Scamp is your best bet. Casitas are hard to find with four beds, and the more common 17', averaging 3300 pounds and 425 pounds on the hitch loaded, is probably too heavy.

Know that pretty much any hard-sided trailer is going to exceed 35 sq ft frontal area, but the smaller eggs come close and the rounded shape helps.

A helpful resource for realistic weight information is the sticky thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" in the General Chat section. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet of the data.

Our Scamp 13' has the same beds as the 16', which adds the bathroom and more kitchen space. The bunks are great, easy to set up and roomier than they look in pictures, but you'll need to add your own safety rail. The main bed, on the other hand, is small, at 45"x75". We make it work for four people (our kids are 10 and 13). My wife shares the dinette bed with the younger, sleeping head-to-toe, and I share the bunks with the older, who is still well under the recommended limit of 120 pounds for the upper bunk. It's snug but comfortable.

Best wishes finding what you need!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #3

Virginia
Thanks! That spreadsheet confirms a Scamp 16 will work behind the Jeep. 2500 real world is pretty good. I'm no too worried about the frontal area as a Scamp will be much more aerodynamic than a stick built trailer like an Rpod.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #4

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We love our scamp with front bunks. While it's only a 13 footer, like Jon's, I think you'll really like the 16 foot if a bath is on the list! Our kids are (almost) 12 and 14 and they use the bunks while my 215 pound, 6 foot hubs and I share the dinette bed. It's cozy, but not to small for both of us at all. We did add a bunk rail to the top bunk so our girlie doesn't fall out, but both kids find them comfortable and spacious!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:06 AM   #5

Virginia
Now the trick is to find one for sale anywhere near the DC area. Seems like most are on the west coast.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
It won't be easy anywhere. The side bath layout (#4) has fallen somewhat out of favor with recent buyers in favor of the side dinette plan, so you'll be more likely to find an older one.

Be prepared to act quickly and inspect carefully. There is a helpful Buyer's Checklist here. Floor rot and frame issues are the biggest things you hope to avoid.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:48 AM   #7

Virginia
Can you put two kids in a side dinette?
Old 01-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Only when they're small. It's narrow, around 20" wide, and 6' long or a little more. They'll outgrow it pretty fast.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #9

Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Another trailer that ticks all your boxes is the Escape 17B with gaucho bunk option. All your boxes except price. Not likely to find one under $10K. Very nice trailers though, if you can find one.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:51 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I have a 2014 side dinette scamp, the side bunk is a nice size. I am 6` and there is plenty of length. The two kids can sleep head to toe, for awhile yet. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #11

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
big foot would be good
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
I did think about an older Bigfoot 17G. Weight would likely be a bit over 3000 pounds (3200 pounds avg. loaded weight, per the "Trailer Weights" thread), but the bigger concern is the height, width, and boxy profile in view of the OP's 35 square foot frontal area limit. It's a nice trailer for a small family, no doubt about that, but a Bigfoot pushes a lot more air than a Scamp.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:43 PM   #13

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I have a Scamp 16 Layout four (just for me and a dog).. I find its the rite size for me. The front bunks would be OK for you until the kids get too big, so pay close attention to that. Some kids are too big at a young age! I am 6 foot and like to sleep diagonally in the rear bed. IMHO having a six footer and a second person in the rear dinette bed is a little more than cozy, and might not be comfortable (although lots of people do it fine).

So my advice is to spend some time in one. Until you actually lie down in one for a while you can't really tell how it will work out, esp. since the walls are curved. Scamp Hqts can hook you up with local owners and if you want to see one in central NC let me know.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #14

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Jeep JK stock has a 3,500lb tow capacity with a weight distribution system, 2,000lb without weight distribution system. Basic rule is to only pull trailer of half that number, which gives you approx. 1,000lb tow capacity with a hitch weight of just 100lbs. Basic 13' scamp weighs in around 1,200lbs. I pull 13' scamp with JK without any problems. Just have brakes on your trailer as Jeeps are not really considered tow vehicles. I have pictures of mine hooked up if you want to see them.
Take care,
Bob
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:05 PM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Jackie C View Post
...Basic rule is to only pull trailer of half that number, which gives you approx. 1,000lb tow capacity with a hitch weight of just 100lbs...
I'm not sure I'm familiar with a "rule" that you can only tow half of the manufacturer's tow rating. Care to elaborate?

In my limited experience and observation, some manufacturers and models have very conservative tow ratings and people tow right up to the limit without issue. Others have more optimistic ratings, in which you're probably better off leaving some margin. 50% seems a bit arbitrary to me, but perhaps you're referring to the Jeep in particular?