Good price? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #1

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Good price?

What is a good price on the some of the 13' scamps? What about the older Bolers? Is there really a difference between the two? One of my neighbors bought 1995 scamp in awesome condition for $1300....I assume that is a super price. Looking on CL in my area...it looks like the few that are within couple of hours are 2004 and newer and are running $6300 - $7200.....that seems a little high to me....am I way off base. If I look at the Bolers....they seem to run from about $2200 - $2700....they are 40 years old....and were only $1700 new! Is that really how much they are? As I am new to this whole fiberglass RV world, I am really just looking for what ballpark should be. Does it make a difference on any of them if they have been modded? Does that make them worth more or less in the long run? What if the older ones (either the early scamps or the Bolers) are modded? How does that affect their desirability? Just curious....I'd love to pick one up for the price that my neighbor got one for, but I have a feeling that was a once in a lifetime deal....and he doesn't want to sell me his! Anyone have 2 cents to throw in the bank?
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggless View Post
What is a good price on the some of the 13' scamps? What about the older Bolers? Is there really a difference between the two? One of my neighbors bought 1995 scamp in awesome condition for $1300....I assume that is a super price. Looking on CL in my area...it looks like the few that are within couple of hours are 2004 and newer and are running $6300 - $7200.....that seems a little high to me....am I way off base. If I look at the Bolers....they seem to run from about $2200 - $2700....they are 40 years old....and were only $1700 new! Is that really how much they are? As I am new to this whole fiberglass RV world, I am really just looking for what ballpark should be. Does it make a difference on any of them if they have been modded? Does that make them worth more or less in the long run? What if the older ones (either the early scamps or the Bolers) are modded? How does that affect their desirability? Just curious....I'd love to pick one up for the price that my neighbor got one for, but I have a feeling that was a once in a lifetime deal....and he doesn't want to sell me his! Anyone have 2 cents to throw in the bank?
Let me see if I can give you a little bit of help here. First Bolers, Scamps, Trillium, Casita and others are molded fiberglass. There's a list on home page of site.
Molded fiberglass trailers don't use wood for part of the structure, except maybe to strengthen some area and then the wood is fully encased. What this does eliminate most leak points. Most do not have wood wall coverings. Therefore water intrusion is limited and if it does happen, unless it allowed to sit on floor for long periods of time, doesn't cause any problems. With standard trailer construction water intrusion usually causes a lot of damage before it's discovered and the leak points are many.
The results of this the value of the trailer doesn't depreciate rapidly. The value is usually dependent on the condition of the trailer. A 35 year old trailer in like new condition is almost as valuable as a new trailer. The $1300 trailer was an exception. The seller didn't know what he/she had.
There have been 35 year old Bolers sell for close to $10,000.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #3

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Do mods make a difference at all?
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggless
Do mods make a difference at all?
If they are well done and what you actually want --- yes. If they are poorly done or totally mess up the trailer's functionality then yes again but negatively in that case.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Mods are a different thing. Some mods I wouldn't want no matter how good they were done, others would be ok. So it's up you the buyer to determine what would fit your needs the value of modifications.
My opinion of mods... If the electrical, the propane systems have been modified you couldn't give the trailer. That also goes with anything that punches holes in the shell that doesn't look factory.
Mods that are ok are things like replacing cabinet doors, new curtains, cushions, and that type of thing.

This is just my opinion.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
When we bought our 2011 17 ft Egg Camper last year we paid about $18,000. By comparison, we have a 31 foot trailer with conventional construction. It has a slide-out and pretty much all the amenities. It was only about $1000 more than our Egg Camper. The molded trailers are very high quality with a lot of care taken in their manufacture. The conventional trailers are pretty much thrown together.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Re mods- FG campers are more like a house than a classic car. Owners want quality work and utility. So, modifications that are well done and add utility are a plus - just like in a house. Few care about all original fixtures as long as the utility is there. But a botched repair or upgrade job or out of ordinary decorating detracts from the price.

Re prices - look here to get a range.
Fiberglass RVs SOLD | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 09-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #8

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Check the recent thread.
CANADA TRILLIUM 1300 1976
and another CANADA 1973 Trillium 1300

looks good.
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
If mods are done correctly and professionally, they can greatly enhance the value of the trailer.

I have completely gutted the plumbing, electrical, and propane systems in my egg and will make them right since PO's did such a nasty job of butchering these systems. I have also removed the frame, put on a new axle, wheels, coupler and painted the frame to make it basically new again.

If I were contemplating purchasing another egg, I would look at the major systems and overall condition of the axle, frame etc. and determine how much work and cash would be required to make them right. This in turn should be reflected in the asking price for the trailer. I only paid $900 for my 1978 Trillium 1300, but, it is requiring a boatload of work to restore it. However, I knew this going into the deal.

Spanke
Old 09-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanke View Post
I only paid $900 for my 1978 Trillium 1300, but, it is requiring a boatload of work to restore it. However, I knew this going into the deal.
A Trillium 1300 with furnace, fridge (did it work?) and a KITCHEN WINDOW! For $900? I would say you did well.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
A Trillium 1300 with furnace, fridge (did it work?) and a KITCHEN WINDOW! For $900? I would say you did well.
David

I knew what I was looking at, mostly with the help of this forum.

A buddy of mine bought it for $900 in 2008 from someone selling it in their yard on a county highway. He kept it for 3 yrs and didn't do anything to it. I finally convinced him to sell it to me and he wouldn't budge on $900, so I gladly wrote him a check.

I've spent some cash on fixing it, fortunately, I can apply sweat equity on my part for labor.

It's a work in progress, unfortunately, the progress is not as fast as I would like!

(The fridge is D.O.A.)

Spanke
Old 09-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Going back to the original post:
1. Ferget all about that 2005 Scamp for $1300, that was an anomaly(?) and doesn't happen often in the real world. That Scamp could have sold for closer to $10,000 on the west coast.

2. What a trailer cost when new some years ago has no bearing on current prices. FGRV's are a supply and demand market. (Have you priced a 1957 Chevy lately?)

3. Although there are a few "Purists" that want to enjoy RV's of the 70's , as if it were still the 70's, "mods", done right of course, are usually a plus, especially in the electrical and plumbing areas. That's a matter of personal choice and needs. Add to that, that some newer FGRV's can be very basic, some mods become essential.

4. Inexpensive FGRV's are usually "Fixers". As having repairs done by an RV shop can be astronomical, unless you are into fixing, buy the very best you can afford, pay for fixing already done, it's cheaper.

Good Luck Hunting

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Good advice and thoughts have already been shared. In my mind, one of the biggest considerations is how much you want to work on a camper yourself. If you want it totally ready to roll, then most likely you'll pay for - in that someone else has probably done the work and will price accordingly.

On the other hand, if you'd like to tinker on it, you can certainly buy a fixer and slowly tackle it as energy and funds are available.

Like others said, age doesn't necessarily mean cheap. I have well over $5k in purchase/upgrades for my 40 year old Boler (I stopped adding so I can tell my wife that I'm not sure!), and that doesn't count uber hours of research, sweat, and do-overs!

Good luck!
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Price and quality are two very subjective items fixed by the seller. In many parts of North America, we're preparing to conclude the bulk of camping season. That means winterizing and storing trailers until Spring. For those that don't want to go through that, prices will drop... but so does availability of For Sales. In early Spring, just before camping season starts, prices rise and availability of For Sales go up.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #15

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Re mods- FG campers are more like a house than a classic car. Owners want quality work and utility. So, modifications that are well done and add utility are a plus - just like in a house. Few care about all original fixtures as long as the utility is there. But a botched repair or upgrade job or out of ordinary decorating detracts from the price.

Re prices - look here to get a range.
Fiberglass RVs SOLD | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
I would add that the trailers offered for sale are at "asking prices" and do not reflect whether the buyer was able to negotiate the price down. So it's best to take these prices as starting points for dickering rather than hard and fast numbers.

I agree with Donna, I have noticed asking prices decline at this time of year, this year included.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I actually found in the Alberta Canada market, this year, about two thirds of the way through the summer, there were many trailers on the market, and some very good deals were to be had. I don't see as many trailers on the market now.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote