Got the TV, researching FBGRVs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #1

Name: Darron
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Got the TV, researching FBGRVs

My wife and I bought a 2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost last week and are now saving our pennies for a lightweight travel trailer. I ran across this site a couple of days ago and have gleaned some excellent information already. We're a year or two away from getting a trailer, but it isn't too early too dream.

And because I've heard people around here like pictures I've included one of my truck and one of my wife's new Mini Cooper S convertible.
Attached Thumbnails
truck_sideview_web.jpg   rr_quarter_srgb.jpg  

Doc Sarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Darron, welcome to FiberglassRV. I do believe the Ford F-150, with Ecoboost is on my short list for purchase. I've got a long-in-the-tooth 2000 F-150 and since it's time to replace it, I'll follow along any posting you have about your new tug.

With your new tow vehicle, just about any molded fiberglass trailer is doable.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #3

Texas
The Ecoboost is what sold me on the truck, Donna. Even with the 3.15 gears in the rear axle the truck is quick and has an 8500 pound towing capacity. I think the truck will pull a Casita or similar trailer over a mountain pass with little effort.

I'm looking at small trailers for fuel savings and to get to places I can't reach with a larger trailer. Not necessarily off-road. The Bristlecone Pine National Park campground comes to mind, as does the Chisos Basin Campground in Big Bend National Park. I'm getting back into landscape photography and want to access off-the-beaten-path campgrounds.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
ooooh a photographer! Have you checked out the forum about hobbies... even if you're not a hobbiest but a pro? I take "pictures" nothing even close to professional pics, but thoroughly enjoy all the pics folks post about sights they see and wonderful camping excursions.

When you get serious about buying a trailer, be sure to ask a lot of questions about your needs. Everyone has an opinion, but I'm sure you'll make the best decision based on what would work best for you.

Cooool
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #5

Texas
I've been a pro photographer off and on for 25 years. I'm now semi-retired and returned to college (in my mid 50s) to get a degree in photo communications. I'll check out the hobbies forum. Thanks for the tip on that.

I have owned two travel trailers in the past: a new 1999 R-Vision Trail Lite and a 1960s Airstream Overlander. The Trail Lite fell apart in less than three years. One of my friends bought the Airstream from me and still uses it regularly. I've learned my lesson and will spend more money on quality rather than settling for the cheapest unit I can find.

Another new member posted a thread asking about off-load worthy campers, and I've bookmarked two manufacturers recommended there. Don't worry, when it comes time to spend my money I'll be full of questions.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
The truck is really nice, but the Mini Convertible?
Sweeeeet!
Seriously, welcome to the forum, and great adventures.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis View Post
My wife and I bought a 2001 Ford F150 Ecoboost last week and are now saving our pennies for a lightweight travel trailer. I ran across this site a couple of days ago and have gleaned some excellent information already. We're a year or two away from getting a trailer, but it isn't too early too dream.

And because I've heard people around here like pictures I've included one of my truck and one of my wife's new Mini Cooper S convertible.
Hi: Doc Sarvis...My bad...but I couldn't resist. Hope your new truck isn't a 2001 but 2011 or newer??? Here's a pic of my new VW Convert. I really wanted one but I'm sure it wouldn't have been as comfortable for camping.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
party at the beach.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #8

Texas
Good catch Alf. I've corrected my original post.

Love your setup. The matching stripes are a nice touch.

SherryNPaul, the Mini Cooper is a hoot to drive. Every bit as quick as the truck, and the top stays down most of the time.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Doc Sarvis... Thanks!!! We love it too. Yes the matching stripes really get noticed...but I'd still like the open air feeling of a Cabrio. Trouble is my mid life crisis is now over and the next one looming is RETIREMENT!!!
ie: " 1/2 as much income...twice as much husband".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #10

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Welcome to another landscape photo lover and fiberglass wannabe! Here's the photography thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...phy-42016.html . If you like to look at scenery, here's my thread last summer about a trip to Glacier NP: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ana-47704.html .

A narrow, rounded egg like Casita, Scamp, etc. is the best thing you can get for gas mileage, short of going to a popup. You'll probably be able to get about 50% better mpg's than you would with a conventional boxy 8' wide trailer.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #11

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Welcome, I used to live in Terlingua, Tx and I know that one of the campgrounds at BBNP has a real short length limit. I pretty sure any egg and tug will fit just fine. Good luck with the egg hunt.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #12

Texas
Thanks Greg. Terlingua is one of my favorite places. The park service recommends 22-foot or smaller trailers for the Chisos Basin CG because the road is steep and has many switchbacks. The spaces are pretty small too. But the stars are real purty up there. I've seen color in the Orion Nebula without my binoculars or telescope from Terlingua and the Chisos Basin. that is dark sky.

Just thinking about it makes me want a trailer so I can spend the summer out there.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Someone in town has one of those darling little cars and I love it! We had the same experience with more than a couple of the stick-built RVs and, frankly, it doesn't matter which manufacturer you choose as I worked in the office of a 5-star rated manufacturer of a high-end stick-built and......... We are seriously looking now at the fiberglass eggs too and I just wish I could mix and match between the manufacturers because I like this feature here but this other one over here. The place you just described sounds so wonderful! I know a lot of the places we are interested in require smaller RVs. A few years back, A-liner had an ad that read "No boundaries" and although I'm not looking at that trailer, they were describing exactly what I am looking for! "No boundaries" sounds like big double doors being thrown open to the world!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #14

Texas
Cathy and everyone else, I just checked the Big Bend NP website, and the road to Chisos Basin is restricted to travel trailers under 20 feet, not 22 feet as I thought. Actually, the NPS recommends, not restricts, but I plan to follow their recommendation. This obviously does not impact my decision on an egg, but is something I need to keep in mind if I buy a vintage Airstream, which is also on my short list.

And my wife's Mini Convertible is a hoot to drive. Gets great gas mileage too.