Greeting from New Hampshire - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #1

Name: Lawrence
Trailer: looking for a scamp at NADA retail
NH
Greeting from New Hampshire

we had a VW bus with a bed, a pop up tent camper and a dodge van with a bed in the 70's at Champaign-Urbana Illinois.

Later we hiked the grand canyon and had a small dome tent.

For the last 30 odd years we have been going to the Stellafane Convention in Springfield Vermont usually in a succession of cabin tents although I have on occasionally just slept in the back of a Prius.

I've been looking at Runaway Campers, Wee Roll Campers, and others.

One of the people at Stellafane had a Scamp.
Spotted was being renovated at a local RV dealer.

We may not get one but we are thinking about it.

So Hello everyone.

Larry
lawlopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:52 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Larry!

I’ve also done a fair bit of tent camping, backpacking, kayak touring, along with car camping. I’ve slept in the back of a Subaru, a pickup canopy, a van, even a VW Beetle (made a bed that rested on top of the passenger seat backs from the windshield to the rear glass).

My current 13’ Scamp- small, simple, and non-self-contained- is an accommodation to family life as well as the vicissitudes of age that make sleeping on the ground less comfortable than it used to be.

There are a number of other molded fiberglass options, new and vintage, that fit the small and minimalist profile. New: Scamp, Casita, Happier Camper, Armadillo, Outback, Relic, GoBE, Weiscraft. Vintage: Boler, Trillium, Hunter, Campster, Burro, U-Haul, and any number of less common brands. The website fiberglass-rv-4sale.com collects molded fiberglass listings from across the US and CAN.

Fiberglass or no, best wishes finding the right equipment for your future adventures!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:12 AM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Good hunting, Larry!

If you liked the Scamp and you decide molded fiberglass is what you want, you may want to visit the websites for Casita (Texas), Escape (British Columbia), and Oliver (Tennessee). Scamps and Casitas are somewhat similar in price, Escapes are a bit more, but competitive due to the current exchange rate. Escape will accommodate some degree of customization, and Oliver’s are quite expensive in comparison but well designed. As Jon stated, you have a number of options. And he is definitely right about the pleasantries of being off the ground as one gets up in years. If you call any of these companies, they can refer you to local owners who would likely be willing to show you their trailers.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:23 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We lived in NH for 30 years, as well have built a number of dome structures, living in a 50' dome for a number of years. Actually 3 of the domes had fiberglass exteriors.

We started RVing with a large rig but after 7 years graduating to small trailers. We have camped in two fiberglass trailers, a Casita 16 and a Scamp 16. These are rugged little trailers, our Scamp is now 28 years old and has been all over North America. They are easy to configure for your needs. Our Scamp served us for the last 11 years.

It's easy to get into a discussion of which brand is best. I find that their cores are all similar and fully capable of meeting the needs of a serious traveler.

Wish you well.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote