Greetings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #1

Name: Duke
Trailer: '95 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Greetings

Hello, all. If all goes well, I hope to be a FGRVer by the end of this week. After looking for a long time, my wife and I have located a 16-foot Scamp in our price range.

First off, just want to say how happy I was to find these forums. I've been lurking for awhile and found a lot of great answers to my questions. Great group of people.

Second. Any info about AC installation and converting the front shower to a bunk is greatly appreciate. When I get the rig home, I'm going to need to get started. AC is a MUST in Arkansas (where we live) and parts even further south (where we plan to travel).

And there's currently a shower/toilet combo in the front. I'd like to convert to a bunk for our son (4Yrs old). Since we plan on staying in parks w/ facilities most of the time.

Happy to be among the FGRVers,

Your Uncle Duke
UncleDuke42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #2

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Welcome Aboard! Hope you are having a great time shopping.

Just my opinion....
but it seems like a huge amount of work, and since trailers with bath are usually much higher priced , you would essentially devalue the trailer
Have you examined the area you want to change? There is all sorts of plumbing and tankage in there. Of course if you are looking to have a tiny separate room for your son, (and he's a sound sleeper) I suppose all the labor and expense might be worth it to you.
Can you just build in a bunk over the toilet and leave all the built-ins?
The nice thing about fiberglass IS that you can reconfigure to suit, but its not cheap or easy
As Spring advances lots more FGRVs will come out of storage and onto the market. You might want to be patient and see if something more suitable pops up.
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Welcome!
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry

Name:   41gL2h9DCVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  17.7 KB
When you get a new rig post some photos.
Have you been camping before?
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Welcome! Does the trailer have the side dinette? If so he could sleep there. I agree with Denece that changing the front bath to a bunk would be a lot of work and expense. If you do get the trailer let us throw around ideas before you have at it.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #6

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Duke,
We have a front dinette that converts to a bed and love that layout. We can leave the back (bigger) made into a bed and still have meals up front or sit there and use the computer and when we need the bed there (which is rare for us) it's real easy to make up. Who needs a bathroom anyway? (Oh oh, some people aren't gonna like that remark :-))
Best wishes!
Phil
Old 02-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #7

Name: Duke
Trailer: '95 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Thanks for the welcome, and I welcome all opinions on this matter. And it makes sense not to want to devalue the camper.

However, Is there a market for selling the shower/toilet piece? On first glance, it would look like the entire shell would come out pretty easily, along with the side closet, but we're willing to part with that for another bed. Do people trade stuff like that around here?

We've been looking for a Scamp for awhile now. And this is the best deal we've seen (and it's pretty close). I would hate to pass just because it's not the exact layout we dreamed of. We just have to have a place for the kiddo to sleep.

@ Lizbeth. There isn't a side dinette, just a stove/fridge on one side, and sink/ cabinets on the other.
UncleDuke42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
Duke,
We have a front dinette that converts to a bed and love that layout. We can leave the back (bigger) made into a bed and still have meals up front or sit there and use the computer and when we need the bed there (which is rare for us) it's real easy to make up. Who needs a bathroom anyway? (Oh oh, some people aren't gonna like that remark :-))
Best wishes!
Phil
My bladder takes issue.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, I have to say we've had more people asking about taking out the gaucho and putting in a toilet/shower. But, it's your trailer. If making this modification makes you happy... then why not do it! Although if it were me... and it's not.... the kid would sleep on the floor. Having a toilet/shower gives you more camping opportunities... you can stay in unimproved campgrounds... or use your own when the public facilities are funky!

Let us know how it goes, inquiring minds want to know
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Although if it were me... and it's not.... the kid would sleep on the floor.
I'm with Donna. I have 5 kids. While my trailer can sleep 4 and my wife and I sleep in the van, that still leaves someone sleeping on the floor of the trailer. If the bathroom works, you can probably find someone who has a front bunk, or dinette who really would prefer a bathroom. A trade could be arranged. As Donna said there are more people interested in going the other way.

If it is a good deal, nearby, then by all means purchase it. Maybe just try it out the way it is first. If you get tired of stepping on your kid, and you can't find anyone to trade, then rip out the bathroom.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote