Greetings! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #1

Name: Mary
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Maine
Registry
Greetings!

Hello! I am the newest possible newbie to the Egghead community, having just discovered the existence of fiberglass RVs quite by accident. At the risk of being long-winded, I'll share my story in hopes of catching up to what seems to be the answer to my prayers, as it were.

For years, I have wanted to and begun to plan for the day when I am freed from the onus of home ownership and permanently installed in a trailer. I thought, like many people, that the Airstream was the only aesthetically appropriate option. Two years ago, I made the mistake of buying a "fixer-upper" 31' Sovereign International. Suffice it to say that I grossly underestimated the amount of work and expense of that project, not to mention the added expense of a proper tow vehicle and so on. Wisely, I think, I abandoned the idea and took a loss on the Land Yacht.

Following an unfortunate encounter with anesthetic during joint replacement surgery a few years ago, I sustained a brain injury and now am surviving solely on Social Security Disability Income. Maintaining my house and heating it during Maine winters is no longer a viable option, and I am in the throes of cleaning out the house and selling everything I own, toward the end of finally getting into that RV.

Lo and behold, while browsing "motor homes" and "RVs" on craigslist and in Uncle Henry's, I stumbled upon an ad for a 13' Scamp and realized I was looking at HOME. Well, not that particular trailer, but after some quick research I realized that a 13' fiberglass trailer is the perfect option for me, and I was elated to discover that I will be able to tow it with a Subaru or other small vehicle!

If you've read this far, I thank you! One of the things I hope to learn from this fabulous forum starts with this: I had no idea there were so many different makes of fiberglass trailers. What is the best way for me to learn about the benefits and pitfalls of each? Are there "preferred" makers? Are any known as "Ėdsels," or lemons? I have no idea where to start, but then again maybe I do, since I'm about to post this...

Thanks, and I look forward to being part of this community!
Brandegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Mary, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here!

There are NO lemons when it comes to all molded towables. Truly. What will determine which trailer is for you is based on your tug's tow capacity, layout and budget. Preferred makers is, there again, based on personal preference... and dollars.

This doesn't come close to answer all your questions, but if you click here for the home page you'll see a list of MOST of the brand built. 99% are no longer made, but we do have members here that own those. Nearly each trailer brand is a link that will take you to info related to that brand.

Best of luck on your egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome Mary. We have a powerful search tool and the key to using it is in the graphic below. I'd search each of the brand names that you are interested in with the word "problem". Example: Scamp problem.

You will see the common problems for any given make, though as Donna has indicated, there are no true lemons and the big differences are in individual trailers - rotten floors or door hinge supports are the worst of it, generally. Sagging axles are common after 20 years or so, but it is all fixable and parts are mostly generic, except for the shell and frame
Attached Thumbnails
Search box.JPG