Greetings All !! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Hunter Compact Junior
Oregon
Greetings All !!

Newbie to the forum. Became fascinated when I saw a small FGRV drive down the road. Luckily the owner stopped for gas so I could get a good look. Been searching sites and found this piece o' heaven.

Been considering getting a small rig for occasional weekends at my friends place in the sticks (Blodgett, OR). I currently have a camp trailer there but it is a hassle to set up (Apache pop-up).

Looking at the smaller Compact Jr or similar. Would really like to know is someone could give me the dimensions or if there is one local (Portland Oregon) that I could have a look at.

I know about the upcoming NOG, but doubtful I can get time off from work. Any advice or recommendations? Normal occupants would be me, 2 medium size dawgs, and the occasional cage of ill ferrets.

Kevin
Kevin PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Welcome Kevin!!!
One doesn't HAVE to be at the NOG for the full time to appreciate it for what it is.

Could you not attand just for a day?? It can't be that far a drive down and over to the coast from Portland????
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #3

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
Welcome Kevin!!!
One doesn't HAVE to be at the NOG for the full time to appreciate it for what it is.

Could you not attand just for a day?? It can't be that far a drive down and over to the coast from Portland????
Karma must be on my side - - my boss called saying he changed my days off. Since I work night shift, I will be off Saturday during the day. Perfect to do some siteseeing
Old 10-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #4

Registry
Old 10-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
Doug, the NOG is NOT at the coast! You're thinking of the big July Oregon Gathering. This NOG is south of Portland and east of I-5.

Great Kevin, glad you can come for the day, you're welcome to stay longer.... bring a tent!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #6

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Doug, the NOG is NOT at the coast! You're thinking of the big July Oregon Gathering. This NOG is south of Portland and east of I-5.

Great Kevin, glad you can come for the day, you're welcome to stay longer.... bring a tent!
Thanks for the invite, Donna. Wish I could, but with my zoo I have to plan overnights way in advance.

And my 'tent' is actually my trusty '89 Toyota Van. My makeshift camper until I find something
Old 10-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:

OOOPsie.....
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2010, 01:06 AM   #8

Trailer: 1999 Burro
Kevin, you may have already found this site: Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

It is run by a forum member and is a great resource. I found my Burro on it this summer.
joelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Kevin, you can't go wrong with a small fiberglass camper. We own a 40' diesel motorhome and in 2007 bought a new 13' Scamp for camping in National Parks, etc. Never been sorry for a second. Be patient, good used ones are out there at a fair price. Ron
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #10

Kevin, here's a craigslist ad for a 13' Scamp in Eugene: SCAMP 13' LIL TRAILER and a 16 foot Scamp in Corvallis: 1992 SCAMP DELUXE 16' TRAVEL TRAILER
Old 10-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #11

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Portland, OR. Everytime I was there I was told to expect no sun. My husband was acting plant manager in Tuellatin, next to Tigard, close to Aswego. Correct me on the spellings. I had sunshine all the time. My husband would leave home on a Monday from Iowa and be home Friday night. I got to see my sister-in-law on the San Juan Islands and see whales and a unhappy sea walrus while I was out there. It looked like my husband's sister-in-laws.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
Tuellatin, next to Tigard,
close to Aswego. Correct me on the spellings.
Tuellatin is actually Tualatin
Aswego is really Lake Oswego.

Trust me, you're closer to the spelling than most!
Old 10-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #13

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Quote:
Tuellatin is actually Tualatin
Aswego is really Lake Oswego.

Trust me, you're closer to the spelling than most!
Donna:

Yes, Lake Oswego. That is where the hotel was where my husband lived . Tualtin was were the plant was. Forest harvesting machines/demolition scissors. Pretty far from a combine. We are back in the lumber/chipping business 10 hours closer then Montana was where my husband was involved in the oil business but the same corporation that got us to where we are now.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #14

Glad you enjoyed your time in the Portland area and the sun came out while you were here. It obviously wasn't this last spring/summer.... sigh.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #15

Oregon
Quote:
Kevin, here's a craigslist ad for a 13' Scamp in Eugene: SCAMP 13' LIL TRAILER and a 16 foot Scamp in Corvallis: 1992 SCAMP DELUXE 16' TRAVEL TRAILER
Thanks, Donna - i had actually seen those postings. The 16' is a little too nice for me.

I guess I'm actually looking for a 'fixer-upper'. Something I can put my own touches into and not be afraid if the dogs mess it up. I've done a bit of maintenance and remodelinging before, so i would be satisfied with a shell that I could arrange to my suiting. It would be a little weekender so I could even do without a stove (like my little butane one just fine).

And I have to be practical. The trailer would spend most of it's time in Blodgett, yet have to fit into my garage in Portland to do the mods and handywork.

I LOVE the look of the Scamps and U-Hauls, but my eyes keep going back to the Play-Pacs and Campster type. That's one reason I look forward to the NOG so i can (hopefully) see them up close and personal. Guess I should bring a measuring tape, eh?
Old 10-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin PDX View Post
Guess I should bring a measuring tape, eh?
And a camera.
I'm not sure if they make trailer "spec sheets" for the NOG. Which usually lists the persons name, and basic trailer details. One trick I got off of another FGRV'er is if they do ... you take a picture of the spec sheet, then the trailer and people. Then a picture of anything you found interesting.

That way you can put names to faces for next time. You will then know who to ask about how they did the feature or mod you liked.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #17

Oregon
There is a listing of whom is in what site and the trailer they have. I plan to print that out to guide me along 'the path of enlightenment' or is it the path of 'en-lite-enment'?
Old 10-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #18

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Kevin, welcome! I am pretty new here, myself. I had a pop up camper years ago, which I bought VERY used. I camped it into the ground, so to speak, and enjoyed every minute of it.

I have owned two RVs since then, but they have lost their appeal. The price of gas, upkeep, and cost of insurance and other fees have worn me down. I "discovered" FGRVs a few years ago, and have been keeping an eye out for them. There aren't many of them out here on the east coast... I have seen exactly ONE FGRV on the road... and that was a Trillium which was being towed by a Hyundai around the DC beltway.

I convinced my wife that we should save up for a new Scamp, but we happened to find one for sale, and less than an hour from home. We went to see it the next day, and bought it the same week. That was only about a month ago. It was in mediocre condition, but we have done a lot of work to it. We stayed in it for two nights in my in-laws' driveway a week ago, but we will be camping for real next weekend.

This forum is a great place to learn about FGRVs. You will find many people here who will help you find, maintain, and get the most out of your FGRV. Keep a close eye on the 'for sale' section... I found mine just minutes after it was posted here.

You are in a better position, since you are in Oregon. There are lots of FGRVs out there!
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
And a camera.
I'm not sure if they make trailer "spec sheets" for the NOG. Which usually lists the persons name, and basic trailer details. One trick I got off of another FGRV'er is if they do ... you take a picture of the spec sheet, then the trailer and people. Then a picture of anything you found interesting.

That way you can put names to faces for next time. You will then know who to ask about how they did the feature or mod you liked.
No Roy we don't do anything like that... it would make it waaaaay to organized! We don't even have organized times for trailer tours. But, I've yet to hear of someone not showing their trailer if someone asks. It seems like everyone has their door open for "show off."
Old 10-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #20

Oregon
<sigh> . . . couldn't be close, could it? A little cleaning, a little work . . . could have been a start.
1981 13' Scamp camper | Garner, NC | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Yeah, I know - I was talking about the PlayPacs and Campsters - - but a start is a start. Would have made a nice 'guest house'. Anyone know the approx weight of this?