Greetings from a former pop-up camper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #15

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
My tent trailer was way simpler than that, but was in no way a 'pop up'. Who came up with that description?

Old 11-03-2015, 06:05 AM   #16

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Hey Fritz,
We decided to wait awhile to make our decision as to wether we were going to go with solar or a generator. I think solar will work for us at this point. I can certainly appreciate the need for a generator because of your location and where you camp. I think we used the air conditioner once this past season while the furnace was cranked up many times.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:58 AM   #17

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
My tent trailer was way simpler than that, but was in no way a 'pop up'. Who came up with that description?
The cable that raises the top of the tent trailer is supposed to be under a little tension when you are traveling. If you forget to relieve the tension on the cable before undoing the latches, then the top goes POP as it starts to go UP.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #18

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Got it. Saw one on the highway shoulder with the roof and all the canvas laying on the road behind the rig. Not a great way to start a vacation.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #19

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Got it. Saw one on the highway shoulder with the roof and all the canvas laying on the road behind the rig. Not a great way to start a vacation.
I expect that as more of a WHOOOSH !! than a pop. So the tension on the cable does two things, it keeps the cable from whipping around loose where it could do some damage, and it keeps tension on the roof latches so they don't open up. Maybe his cable broke but I bet he forget the latches all together.

But we all got smart and went fiberglass. Don't have to worry about that, right?

(All we have to worry about is the Scamp door swinging open when we make turns LOL)
Old 11-03-2015, 11:29 AM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I owned a popup for one season, and after that experience I feel that a person would be better off carrying a tent in a cargo trailer. Setting up a tent is easier and faster IMO than the popup. If the weather's good, use the tent. If the weather's bad, avoid the hassle and stay in the cargo trailer.

Of course, a nice FG trailer is far better than either of the above. One can eat or sleep in it without doing any setup whatsoever, just walk in and enjoy. Need light, flip a switch. Need clothes, open the closet door. Want food or a cold drink, reach into the cupboard or the fridge. Need air movement, flip on the fan. And so on.

A popup is a glorified tent on wheels. But a FG egg is a tiny, sturdy house on wheels... with a better roof than most houses.
Sorry to hear that your experience with a Pop-Up tent trailer wasn't as positive as it is for many, many couples and families.

Just like there are different FGRV camping styles, there is a need for different kinds of camping equipment. Poo-Pooing Pop-Up tent trailers is missing the needs of a significant sub-group of the camping community.

The Pop-Up tent trailer can offer a substantially less expensive alternative, one that easier (even possible) to tow, and also offers more of the "Outdoor" experience that is essential to many campers. And the set-up/take-down time issue is no different than breaking a tenting camp site.

The Green Palomino shown in Post #5 can be erected in about 10 minutes and taken down in 15 minutes, offers inside (tent like?) sleeping for 5, has a kitchen with a stove and a pressurized water system, lots of storage for foodstuffs and clothing and a dinette for at least 4-5 to be inside from the bugs, but outside with all the flaps open.

I have offered my son and his wife a Scamp 13' a Lil' Bigfoot 13' and the Hunter Compact-II 13', but they still prefered the pop-up tent trailers because it's more of a camping experience for them, and that's what they, and their peer group, all enjoy, not being inside a "Tiny House" when wanting to enjoy nature. And TV capacity isn't even an issue for them, as they use mine....

And price is a huge consideration. That Palomino has a street value (after rebuilding) of about $1500. Where can a family find a FGRV, that will sleep 5, for anywhere near that kind of money, much less be towed with a 1500 lb limit TV? Actually, right now, sales of basic tent trailer are way up, to meet demand for light weight campers for smaller vehicles.

And, BTW, when Judy and I were their age, and back-packing all over the planet, we turned our noses up at those with campers and camping trailers, because it wasn't what was right for us at the time either.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #21

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
"BUT there are some downsides too... like spending lots of time so close to the coast means lots of exposure to corrosive salty humidity. Another reason I'm looking at a fiberglass unit this time around."

The Lil Snoozy has a galvanized frame.
Dave & Paula
Old 11-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
"BUT there are some downsides too... like spending lots of time so close to the coast means lots of exposure to corrosive salty humidity. Another reason I'm looking at a fiberglass unit this time around."

Dave & Paula
As well they should, that frame was built by a boat trailer company.

But that fear would rule out all other FGRV's without a galvanized or aluminum frame, as well as pop-ups.

The Black, 1983 StarCraft, pop-up in post #5, came from an oceanside venue (Ventura, CA) and was used extensively for beach camping and, after more than 25 years of use didn't show any damaging rust or deterioration as a result. But that may vary by make?
Old 11-03-2015, 02:16 PM   #23

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
When I joined the North-South Skirmish Association, one of my team mates gave me a very dilapidated sticky to use as I got started. By the time it collapsed I had searched this forum and the old Fiberglas For Sale forum an found the Burro "of my dreams" to buy. Unfortunately, it was in Chicago and I am in Virginia, but fortunately I'm retired and have more time than money, so I just drove up there and bought it. I've pulled it behind a 2000 Chevy Astro and a 1993 Chevy Blazer and have just bought a 2003 Honda CR-V as my new TV for the 2016 season. Through it all I'm happy to have the solid, stable platform of a FGRV for my camping. Glad I skipped the pop-up step!

Froggie
Old 11-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #24

Name: Fritz
Trailer: Formerly Starcraft
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
You know, I had already discovered the Lil Snoozy months ago before I even found this forum and I am seriously considering one of those. However, there's no way I can afford a new one right now and they haven't been out long enough for used ones to show up very often, so I'll most likely get something a little more common like a used Casita at first. But I do like the design innovations of that Lil Snoozy... a lot!
Old 11-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Thanks for joining Fritz

1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote