Greetings from Edmonton Alberta - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #1

Name: Carolyn Joy
Trailer: In the market
Alberta
Cool Greetings from Edmonton Alberta

Hi......
From Alberta. I am a "wanna be" trailer person..been dreaming of this for some time now and feel that it's now or never! I recently retired and now just need to convince my hubby that he is a trailer person. Actually I have barely set foot in a trailer so I don't even know if its for me either! This website has been most helpful in making a decision based on zero trailer experience. First things first.... we now have a vehicle that can tow. We are thinking of renting a trailer first..in the likes of one we may like to buy. It is impossible to find a 15 to 19' fiberglass trailer to rent in this area. (not too particular about the kind..just something reliable) With my husband being reluctant about this adventure...I have to make sure it's positive for him. Do you trailer folk like to rent to strangers? I have been checking kijiji for such opportunities but have had no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks, trailer folk!!
Carolyn Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:46 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn Joy View Post
Hi......
From Alberta. I am a "wanna be" trailer person..been dreaming of this for some time now and feel that it's now or never! I recently retired and now just need to convince my hubby that he is a trailer person. Actually I have barely set foot in a trailer so I don't even know if its for me either! This website has been most helpful in making a decision based on zero trailer experience. First things first.... we now have a vehicle that can tow. We are thinking of renting a trailer first..in the likes of one we may like to buy. It is impossible to find a 15 to 19' fiberglass trailer to rent in this area. (not too particular about the kind..just something reliable) With my husband being reluctant about this adventure...I have to make sure it's positive for him. Do you trailer folk like to rent to strangers? I have been checking kijiji for such opportunities but have had no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks, trailer folk!!
Howdy and welcome to FGRV. I think there is only 1 or 2 places that rent out a molded trailer. One, I think is in N California. I doubt many owners would rent their trailers out. But to get an idea of trailer camping it would be a good idea to rent a couple different conventional trailers (stickies we call them) to get a bit of a handle on how well you two like a trailer. For me, coming from a long line motor homes a trailer is a lot different way to go. Our molded trailers are a lot smaller than most standard built trailers. I would suggest you attend a fiberglass rally so you can see a number of different molded trailer brands. They are held all over NA. There is a search box on the home page that will list them. Most owners are more than happy to show their rigs off. Good luck in your search.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:38 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Hello Carolyn

Good luck in your search, if you would like a closer look at a collection of fiberglass trailers there is an event close to Edmonton in May, here are the details:

We're having the Boler Blues!

Hey everybody! My daughter, husband and I are really missing all the bolers (and you guys of course!) and want to kick off this spring with a small get together taking place on May 27,28,&29. All bolers, fiberglass trailers and friends welcome!
This will take place at Birchwood Golf and Country Club, located in Lindale, AB. (Near Drayton Valley)
We have the whole campground reserved for us, which can fit roughly 45 small trailers. We will have shared power and water. The campground has outhouses (no running washrooms) and an outdoor shower. We also have our hands on free firewood.
The country club offers a club house, restaurant, take out, lounge, motel and a beautiful golf course! Golfing specials available to all attending call and ask for more info.

We will not be in charge of funds or reserving spots so please call Birchwood Golf and Country Club @ to book a spot. Book early to ensure a spot!
Website for info and photos is:
http://birchwood-golf-and-country-club.com/
Boler group special available to all attending. $25.00/ per night. (Regular $35.00)

Depending on amount attending we may have a gift exchange (for anyone wanting to participate) and a meet and greet Saturday afternoon.

Hope to see you all there!
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Welcome, Carolyn.

I would suggest you rent any kind of RV for a holiday, and see how you like the lifestyle. If it is for you AND your husband, then you could look for an RV that would fit what your style of camping will be. This is a bit tough to define, and is different for everyone. Some like roughing it to the extreme with the only luxury being the trailer over their head, while on the other end of the spectrum some like to have as many conveniences as possible, from something simple like a bathroom, to the ability to blow dry and curl their hair every day.

The good thing about most moulded fibreglass trailers is that they hold their value well, and you can purchase one you think will work well, and give it a try. Should you find after a year or so, and after gaining even more experience, that there is a few other features you might like, or some features you purchased you do not need, then selling and buying another make/model would not cost a lot to do.

Not sure if you would want new, or used. There are lots of folks on here who would love to show you their trailers, and discuss the merits. Manufacturers, like Escape, have a list of owners near you where you could view their units.

RV camping isn't for everyone, in fact it is only a small percentage of the population, but for those that do enjoy it, it makes for a wonderful lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
....taking place on May 27,28,&29.
Oh man, this is the third rally on this weekend within shot of home. I sure wish they were spread out a bit more.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Hi Carolyn
I am in north Edmonton, if you want to have a look at a Casita feel free to contact us and have a tour. Ours is a 17ft Spirit Deluxe with bathroom. It will give you an idea on size. Ours is a little loaded up with camping gear right now as we are replacing our garage.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #6

Name: Carolyn Joy
Trailer: In the market
Alberta
Wanna be trailer girl

Thanks to all who replied. All very helpful. Maybe we can take a drive to the Boler Blues .. It could be a nice day trip. I'll keep you posted on our progress in decision making.
Carolyn Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:23 PM   #7

Name: CAROL
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700
Manitoba
If you want to try a Boler 1300 and can come to Winnipeg, Google bee2gether excursions. They rent out the small 13 ft Bolers.
CA Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote