Greetings from Miami, FL - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Greetings from Miami, FL

Hi folks,

My wife and I are currently shopping for a 17' Casita (although we also like the Escape) to satisfy our pre-retirement wanderlust. We love to travel, but don't love paying for a decent motel. Will be pulling it with a 2002 Toyota Tundra. Although we're buying it for the two of us, we hope to have our son join us on occasion.

We like biking, kayaking, hiking and pretty much any outdoor activity that doesn't involve running or jumping off of very tall things.

Happy Trails,
Jim and Deb
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #2

Name: Caren
Trailer: Escape 19
Michigan
Welcome,

We just started for the same reasons as you give in our Escape 19. It's so nice having your own little house wherever the road takes you.

Caren

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Caren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:14 PM   #3

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Hi from a little north of you...
Old 03-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #4

Name: Susie
Trailer: Casita FD17
Florida
We are north of you in our 17' Casita Freedom - found 6 months ago on a Saturday morning forum and home that night - thought we wanted a Spirit or Liberty as my husband is 6'2" and our adult @kids" love to hang with us - but we have lived the Freedom, got a 2005owned by an elderly couple in great shape for a great price - and haven't looked back!!!! Let us know if you find a great Miami campground as one son lives near Dadeland. This is a wonderful little home to tow (we have the Toyota Tacoma) and surf/fish/kayak - or just "be"!
Drsusie2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Hi Jim and Deb , from a little further 'north' of you. Welcome to the FGRV site. You'll find loads of helpful data and advice in here. Good luck with your search. We've enjoyed camping through your state several times (1st in 1969, most recently in 2014). Perhaps you'll get up our way too, especially if you enjoy lots of fresh air, lakes and forests.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:11 PM   #6

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Bullfrogeh, I have a cousin in Thunder Bay. I absolutely LOVED my 2 BSA Northern Tier canoe camping trips out of Atikokan when I was 20 years younger and in a whole lot better shape. Want to show my husband what he missed all those years ago!
Old 03-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #7

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Casita
Illinois
We are camping in Miami area for 5 months at:
rvonthego.com/florida-everglades-rv-resort in a Casita FD
it is in an avocado grove and in quiet farming area but close to shopping, Keys and has wonderful pool and clubhouse with lots of activities. Check it out.
ozierjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Mitzi; Seems like your hubby didn't miss anything. He picked up a genuine Atikokan canoeist, and a keen 'camper'. I spent 34 years up in that part of Ontario, at the 'Land of the Big Goose', where I found my 'camper'.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:23 AM   #9

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
UPDATE: We have officially joined the Egg Cult!

My obsessive habit of keeping my finger on the refresh button while scanning Florida Craigslist has paid off.

An ad for a 2015 Casita 17' SD went up in the Ft Myers area on Tuesday, and I called (trying vainly not to sound too desperate) within minutes of it being posted.

Told him we'd pick it up the next day. So I played hookey from work and we drove across the state (about 3 hours) to pick it up. They literally haven't used it since picking it up from the factory last year. It's fully loaded, has every option we wanted and then some. The only notable option it lacks is an electric tongue jack, which I didn't want anyway. Gave him the cash, we hooked up and towed it away. Started pounding rain as soon as we pulled out, lasted until we got to the 'Glades, then started up again on the East coast.

We know for sure it doesn't leak.

It tows like a breeze behind the Tundra, and we've been having coffee in it every morning since planning adventures. We're taking it to a local park in Broward county for the maiden voyage.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:39 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Greetings from Miami, FL

Congratulations, and well done!

Don't have to tell you to enjoy; I can tell you already are.

Happy adventures!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:22 PM   #11

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
DeBreez---congratulations!!!!!

It's that persistance that often pays off in spades. Sounds like it was meant to be. Happy Camping!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote