Greetings from the Yukon (and from my new old Bigfoot 5th wheel) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2015, 12:14 AM   #1

Name: Erik
Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot F20 5er
Yukon
Greetings from the Yukon (and from my new old Bigfoot 5th wheel)

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a few months, learning and seeking the right trailer. We settled on a 1986 Bigfoot F20 Fifth Wheel, which we just dragged north to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory.

I previously owned (and full-timed for six months of Alberta winter) a Northern Lite 6'10" truck camper, which vanished with my old Tacoma. We contemplated another truck camper, but since my current mission profile centers on shuttling mountain bikes uphill, it had to be a trailer, and it had to have a shower.

This one is definitely going to be a renovation project. Everything works, but aesthetically, she's a bit rough around the edges. Plans so far include:

-Salamander Hobbit wood stove (which will go beside the fridge. That patch of countertop is lovely, but Yukon winters last eight months of the year)
-Cork flooring (the lino peel-and-stick tiles are tired and coming up in places, plus cork is WARM)
-Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations
-kitchen refurb (the oven has shaken loose from the cabinet, and the drawers need some love)
-Composting toilet and black-to-2nd-grey tank conversion
-Solar, because Yukon campgrounds are all (beautiful) boondock sites
-Outside polish, and maybe some new decals (not sure how to go about getting 'em)
-Maybe new windows, once I've taken care of everything else

Anyway, we've had her not quite two weeks, and have already used her seven or eight nights, including an excellent (Canadian) Thanksgiving at Kusawa Lake. I'm very excited to get down to work making her better.

Also, I chose the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Connection and so far, it's everything I could want in a hitch, and it comes out literally in moments. Very satisfied.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150930_132445.jpg  
knallhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:21 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome Erik, sounds like you have things well in hand. Keep pics coming for us as you go along with your mods/renos.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:13 AM   #3

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Welcome, Erik, and congratulations on your fine purchase!!

Keep those photos coming. You live in a gorgeous part of this fine country.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:13 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Hahaha...I'm pretty sure I saw you around September 26th, somewhere above Prince George IIRC. I was traveling south and noticed an older BF 5er and a silver pick-up going north. It was one of only two Bigfoot trailers I saw the whole trip between Anchorage and Southern California.

Enjoy your new project. I recently completed a renovation on a 1989 BF 17 and while it was a lot of work, I enjoyed the challenge. The new owners of it certainly appreciated my attention to detail and I'm sure they will get years of service out of it.

Considering the area you are traveling, I highly suggest you have a thorough inspection of the suspension and frame. Make sure none of the spring shackle brackets where they are welded to the frame are cracked or compromised. Make sure the axle and springs are good (I simply replaced all mine with new). That highway takes no prisoners.

Dexter wet shackles are highly recommended as well.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oot-62285.html

Cheers!
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #5

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
Welcome to a man who lives in one of the most beautiful places on earth! Yukon Territory a must see for all. I love it.
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Congrats Erik,
I found my TF20DLX in Victoria BC, but it was from Alberta. It also needed a complete rebuild. Here is a link to some photos of the finished camper. I love this little 5th wheel, we use it all the time, did a 2500 mile trip last spring, tows like a dream. Mine is the double axle unit with the heated floor with all the tanks enclosed for extreme temps. Here is a link to the photo album on this site. Fiberglass RV - Tom Y's Album: Restoring a 1986 Bigfoot 5th wheel
If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, I now know these units pretty well.
Tom Y
Tom Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:44 PM   #7

Name: Erik
Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot F20 5er
Yukon
Well, after a year and a half of using it as it was, I'm up to my elbows in renovations. I've torn out and replaced all the old plumbing, and right now I'm building a hearth and heatshield for my Hobbit woodstove.

I'll post photos as soon as I have some before/after shots.
knallhart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot