Greetings from TX! - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #1

Name: Fulana G
Trailer: currently shopping
Texas
Smile Greetings from TX!

I recently owned an R-Pod 171 but it was way too heavy for my car (2004 BMW X3). I bought cause I loved it, which was great for me but not so great for my car. So, I'm in the market for an ultra lite towable trailer under 2,000 lbs. and under $15K. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 07-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of friendly and knowledgable people here!

Pretty much any of the 13' FGRVs would fit the bill. A few 16'ers, lightly optioned and loaded, might come close.

The big question is what you need/want in a trailer. Are you looking for something very basic or fully equipped and self-contained? New or used? How many people will be using it? How will you be using the trailer (i.e., full-timing/extended touring, or weekends near home)?

Your budget is fairly generous, but the 2000 lb. weight limit will be the biggest constraint. Trailer manufacturers are known to low-ball dry weights, so I would recommend taking a look at the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World, which contains actual, loaded-for-camping data for a variety of units. Toward the end of the thread (post #267) there is a downloadable spreadsheet that is organized in a way that makes it a bit easier to compare models.

Good luck in your quest!

Old 07-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #3

Texas
Hi, Jon! Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for a trailer with the basics- stove, heater, a/c, sink; microwave and radio would be nice, but not necessary and it's for 2-4 people. I'm okay with new but prefer used.

I'm a weekend camper and have mostly camped in TX. I would like to camp out of state, but it takes about 8 hours just to get out of TX from where I live in any direction, except south, and that's way too long.

Thanks again for your input. I'll check out the thread you recommended.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #4

Arizona
Registry
To sleep 4 people and stay under 2000#, you are probably looking at a 13'er without a bathroom. Since you didn't mention that in your list of essentials, that is good (and most have some provision for a porta-potty for emergencies). Based on your budget, I am assuming you are looking for something newer. The best place to window shop used fiberglass trailers is Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale (and here, of course).

Four choices that come to mind:
  • Scamp: Scamp is the most common among still-produced 13' trailers. They make a 2-sleeper with bath and a 4-sleeper without bath. They're pretty basic in standard trim, but can be loaded up with options, including all the things you mentioned and even an all-wood interior. With your budget, you could probably buy a brand-new one from the factory in Backus, MN, but you'd have to wait a while for it. I own one, which you can see in my registry (look below my avatar for a link). Here is a link to an on-line review I wrote about mine: 2000 Scamp Trailers Scamp 13 Consumer Reviews | 2008 Scamp 13' Standard - Charmingly Imperfect | Epinions.com
  • Casita: Casita is located right in your home state, in Rice, TX, so you might consider a visit to the factory if it's not too far (as you say, TX is a big state!). They make a 13' model, called the Patriot. I don't know if it is still available in a 4-sleeper model without the bathroom or not. Casitas are similar in construction and layout to Scamps (both are offshoots of the now-defunct Boler company from Canada). They are pricier but better optioned in standard trim, so it's probably a wash when similarly equipped. While Scamp makes lots of 13'ers, Casita makes relatively few, so they are fairly rare in the used market.
  • Escape: British Columbia-based Escape no longer makes a 13' trailer, but they did at one time in the not-too-distant past. I have seen a few nice used ones for sale in the US. The ones I saw had a small dinette in front & slept 3, so I don't know if they ever made a bunk model. They are reputed to have a better level of fit and finish than Scamp or Casita.
  • Trillium: Trillium started out in Canada and made an excellent product for many years. There was a hiatus and a split and the Canadian branch became known as Outback. The other branch has struggled in the US and may be restarting production in AL as Sidekick. Anyway, both make (or made) a 13' 4-sleeper for years with the same basic design. I believe they use a full fiberglass "bathtub" design (i.e., the whole floor is fiberglass with wood reinforcement sandwiched inside). It appears to be a bit roomier than Scamp or Casita (because of the squared-off design) and have a higher level of fit and finish. I have seen some newer units on the used market and they looked very nice.

Since pretty much all of the fiberglass manufacturers are small-volume outfits that sell direct (no dealers), the trick is to find a way to get inside one before you commit to a purchase. Having been burned once, I'm sure you don't want to make a second mistake. One way is to visit a fiberglass "egg" rally in your area. Check out the forum area for "Rallies…" and there are a couple of sticky posts at the top with calendars of coming events.

Again, best of luck!
Old 07-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
A Trillium 4500 would be my suggestion. They have the same floor plan as most 13' trailers, but with more generous dimensions. Bigger bed, closet, gaucho and kitchen. Not much bigger, but it makes a difference. They were manufactured with a 2000 lb axle. Since they are about 1700 lb dry, that does not leave much cargo capacity.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I wonder if you be able to find something that really meets your needs/expectations without going to a pop-up or something. I say that because those R-Pods look pretty aerodynamic and weight is not the only consideration in towing. Something like a Scamp 13 may get the weight down but the shear bulk may not provide the towing experience you are looking for. I wish you all the best but caution you to actually hook up and pull anything you are considering before you plunk down your hard-earned.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
To sleep 4 people and stay under 2000#, you are probably looking at a 13'er without a bathroom. Since you didn't mention that in your list of essentials, that is good (and most have some provision for a porta-potty for emergencies). Based on your budget, I am assuming you are looking for something newer. The best place to window shop used fiberglass trailers is Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale (and here, of course).

Four choices that come to mind:
  • Scamp: Scamp is the most common among still-produced 13' trailers. They make a 2-sleeper with bath and a 4-sleeper without bath. They're pretty basic in standard trim, but can be loaded up with options, including all the things you mentioned and even an all-wood interior. With your budget, you could probably buy a brand-new one from the factory in Backus, MN, but you'd have to wait a while for it. I own one, which you can see in my registry (look below my avatar for a link). Here is a link to an on-line review I wrote about mine: 2000 Scamp Trailers Scamp 13 Consumer Reviews | 2008 Scamp 13' Standard - Charmingly Imperfect | Epinions.com
  • Casita: Casita is located right in your home state, in Rice, TX, so you might consider a visit to the factory if it's not too far (as you say, TX is a big state!). They make a 13' model, called the Patriot. I don't know if it is still available in a 4-sleeper model without the bathroom or not. Casitas are similar in construction and layout to Scamps (both are offshoots of the now-defunct Boler company from Canada). They are pricier but better optioned in standard trim, so it's probably a wash when similarly equipped. While Scamp makes lots of 13'ers, Casita makes relatively few, so they are fairly rare in the used market.
  • Escape: British Columbia-based Escape no longer makes a 13' trailer, but they did at one time in the not-too-distant past. I have seen a few nice used ones for sale in the US. The ones I saw had a small dinette in front & slept 3, so I don't know if they ever made a bunk model. They are reputed to have a better level of fit and finish than Scamp or Casita.
  • Trillium: Trillium started out in Canada and made an excellent product for many years. There was a hiatus and a split and the Canadian branch became known as Outback. The other branch has struggled in the US and may be restarting production in AL as Sidekick. Anyway, both make (or made) a 13' 4-sleeper for years with the same basic design. I believe they use a full fiberglass "bathtub" design (i.e., the whole floor is fiberglass with wood reinforcement sandwiched inside). It appears to be a bit roomier than Scamp or Casita (because of the squared-off design) and have a higher level of fit and finish. I have seen some newer units on the used market and they looked very nice.

Since pretty much all of the fiberglass manufacturers are small-volume outfits that sell direct (no dealers), the trick is to find a way to get inside one before you commit to a purchase. Having been burned once, I'm sure you don't want to make a second mistake. One way is to visit a fiberglass "egg" rally in your area. Check out the forum area for "Rallies…" and there are a couple of sticky posts at the top with calendars of coming events.

Again, best of luck!
Another one you may want to check out if your in not to much of a hurry is the new hc1 at happier camper .com . The fist ones are set to roll out in late summer or early fall .they should be in your price range fo brand new
Old 07-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Fulani, something else to consider is your tow vehicle. It's ten years old, which is getting up there... I am guessing you really like it, since you are considering spending $15K on a trailer, but did not consider keeping the R-Pod and upgrading the vehicle instead.

What if you tested the waters with an older fiberglass egg for a season or two? If you do your homework you could probably find something decent (not perfect, but roadworthy and camp-ready) for much less than $15K. Then, when it's time for a new(er) vehicle, you"ll know whether to look for another X3, or something bigger.

Nice thing about fiberglass units is that after the first few years, they don"t depreciate much (as long as you keep up basic maintenance). So if the fiberglass egg doesn't suit you, you can likely get most of your investment back.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #9

Name: Ivan
Trailer: In the market
Oregon
I have an X3 as well. Doesn't it have a towing capacity of about 3500 lbs? Isn't the r-pod 171 well within that limit?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Fulana, What engine do you have in your 3X? What us the listed towing capacity?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #11

Texas
Thanks so much for your input! I will take it into consideration.