Half Fast Scamper - 1975 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #1

Name: Buddha
Trailer: 1975 Scamp
California
Half Fast Scamper - 1975 13' Scamp

Good Morning ~

My father owned a late 70's Scamp after I became an adult. I never stayed in it, but was always intrigued. With two boys of my own - I found a renovation project in Northern California that was right up my alley. I look forward to the advice you all have to offer. I'm definitely a do-it-youselfer and have already torn the thing completely apart.

She hasn't been run, camped in, or registered since 1987... Went to the California DMV with no paperwork and only a bill of sale signed by a representative of an estate sale (not the owner) on December 26th on my lunch break. I figured it would be a 3hr battle. Would you believe in and out with a new title and plates in under 10mins?!?

I have ordered:

All leds (brake, tail, side, interior, exterior) from Optronics and West Marine
110-12v converter/charger 45amp on Amazon
Fan-tastic 4000r (sale Amazon)
Ozite Flexform (sale - not Superflex) it's 12oz vs 18oz. Went to a local shop $22 linear yard... Got it for $9 a linear yard.
Marine carpet liner for all closets, hatches, etc. (super sale)

Still need:
Marine paint
Wire
Batteries
Carpet
Fabric

Probably going to reuse stove, scrap icebox for storage, and redo cabinet doors myself

Today's project is redoing the "main" plywood floor. Top pieces under dinette, sink, and front bunks are still holding up well. Any thoughts?

Sent from my Sony Xperia Ultra - they ran out of "big" phones so I settled with this.
Attached Thumbnails
1388339915224.jpg   1388339943777.jpg  

1388339980984.jpg   1388340012706.jpg  

Half Fast Scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome and hope you have fun restoring it!

The great thing about Scamps is they havent changed much over the years so you can still get from Scamps online parts store most of anything you need for them.

There replacement cushion covers are very reasonable priced - when you consider the cost of a good high wear fabric, zippers, thread etc and your time. Some of found them to be cheaper than doing yourself.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #3

California
Thanks Carol! I have been viewing for the past couple weeks. As for the cushions, that takes half the fun out of it! I am going to search for clearance Sunbrella fabric in a unique pattern. Like most, this'll be a one-of-a-kind! I have called Scamp twice now and someone answered each time - once I was transferred to parts to ask about new window seals for the front and back plexiglass I have only gotten the machine with no phone call back. Oh well, windows are a month or so away.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Ultra - they ran out of "big" phones so I settled with this.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Buddah, welcome to the forum. We have enjoyed owning an 80's and now 90's 13' Scamp for the last 25 years. If you click on our avatar and go to our mods, I think you'll find something you may like to use on yours'. I particularly found the floor storage addition most helpful in clearing clutter and adding much needed storage. I noticed that your trailer sits very low, and if you find that the very old rubber torsion axle is no longer supple, you may want to look at a replacement.
Enjoy your rebuild project to make it fit your own needs, and make many happy memories.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0957.jpg   IMG_0958.jpg  

IMG_0963.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #5

California
Wow... I really like it. I am in the middle of doing the floors today! I'll see how it fits.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #6

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Buddah, welcome to the forum.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #7

California
Thank you Papa-T. Floors redone. I threw a quick coat of epoxy paint I had in the garage... It'll be covered anyway. Crawled under to look for those pieces of rubber but couldn't spot them. I haven't pulled the tires and rims, are they behind there?

Attached Thumbnails
1388366139476.jpg   1388366154608.jpg  

Old 12-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #8

California
Does your storage area affect where the heater used to be? I have pulled mine and am going to leave it as storage in there. I plan on making a door to cover it.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #9

Registry
Buddah, to check your suspension, you will have to jack up the trailer by the frame until the tire comes off the ground, while taking note how much movement or inches it takes to have the trailer tire come off the ground from the "rest" position. You then let it back down to the rest position (full weight of vehicle on the tires), then have someone with some weight on their bones (not light kids) jump up & down inside, or if the trailer is connected to the tow vehicle, have them bounce on the rear bumper while you watch to see if the suspension compresses and rebounds, as apposed to just tire sidewall flex. If there isn't any or very little flex, the torsion suspension has lived a good life and will need replacing. The storage does not affect the area where your furnace used to be, as that area is built up to the same level as the "dance floor" under the dining table.
Dave & Paula
Old 12-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #10

California
I will get under there soon! Thank you greatly for the info.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #11

California
Well David... the suspension is the original (Ingersoll Rub-R-Ride) and shot. It is also welded in. There goes my budget

I have done quite a bit of research over the last few days and it looks like a Torflex #9 (adding electric brakes) is the way to go. I am guessing around $500 if I install it myself. Does this sound about right? I was told I could save $100 without brakes, but why not?

I don't know if this is against the forum rules... but I purchased my headliner and carpet from Mike at UpholsterySupplyOnline.com. Holy moly service! Not only did they have great prices, but they only had 8 yards of headliner so he refunded me $20. He then called to ensure that this was OK and I told him I needed the full 10 yards. We picked out a slightly darker color and he told me to keep the $20 for my inconvenience then freighted it in a truck overnight to me?!?! 10 yards of headliner, 10 yards of trunk carpet, and shipping all for a little over $100?

Again, a pleasure to work with, a patient kind gentleman on the phone, and more than fair prices. I would go back in a heart-beat and hope that you find something you like too.

I do not know this company or man further than this transaction, so please don't think that I have any personal interest other than providing a fair review. I have seen some "don't go there" reviews and think that balance to those is key.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I believe that, because of it's loaded weight (it will be over 1500 lbs) and for general safety anyway that brakes are required in CA.

What brand converter did you order. If it's an "American" brand I strongly suggest you consider returning it and getting a Progressive Dynamics PD-4045 or similar. You will be a lot happier with that a few years down the line.

Just my opinions, of which I have many, all subject to change.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #13

California
That's the converter I got! I will add brakes since I am already replacing. I don't know if I would have without replacing the axle... But for $100 it just makes sense.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:35 PM   #14

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I take it you got the PD-4045?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #15

California
Yes, that's the one. I got it off Amazon.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: Currently hoping for Scamp 13
North Carolina
Hi fellow Scamp lover:
I hope to be purchasing a 1979 13' scamp this weekend.
Do you know if the old windows (the silver crank out ones on the side) can be changed out for the new ones?
I'll bet the new ones are more efficient, but don't know if they are the same size.
Thanks and hope to see more pictures of your work
mikeandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandlaurie View Post
Hi fellow Scamp lover:
Do you know if the old windows (the silver crank out ones on the side) can be changed out for the new ones?
I'll bet the new ones are more efficient, but don't know if they are the same size.
Windows can be repaired with new parts if they no longer work. Windows can be replaced with new if openings are the same or if you can replace with larger windows. Newer design windows usually have radius corners, while the older design have square corners, so you would have to fill in the the square cornered opening with fiberglass or replacement windows can be large enough so window opening can be enlarged enough to eliminate the square corners.
Dave & Paula
Old 01-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #18

California
I can measure the old jalousie windows when I get home, if you would like? This way you can find a larger window to replace. My idea is to cut yoga mat to put inside the plexiglass and jalousie windows when I sleep. This will help with heat, light, and privacy. I think that it'll fit nicely behind the curtains. I don't think the jalousie window is any less efficient than the plexiglass... But I could be wrong?

Old 01-04-2014, 08:43 AM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandlaurie View Post
Hi fellow Scamp lover:
Ohhh my. Please don't change those wonderful jalousie windows for the radius. You don't know how lucky you are to have them.

Jalousie's can be kept open in the rain, something the sliders can't do (without adding a fugly part to the outside of the window frame). My Scamp is just a bit to new to have come from the factory with jalousies. As much as I love my Scamp... I really, really wish I had jalousies.

If you need help with cleaning, parts or repairs, we are here to help with all kinds of info.

Besides, complete window replace is in the top four biggest mod expense (axle, A/C, 3-way frig, windows.. not in any particular order).

Keep the money in your pocket and spend it on fuel to go new places and site fees. Make memories, not this mod. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #20

California
I did a bit of fiberglass work today. Fiberglassed the back of all of the holes in my overhead galley storage. Fiberglassed in plywood brackets to make the closet have two additional removable shelves (other than the bottom shelf). Also fiberglassed in the bottom shelf bracket to remove the two holes. Will fill all the holes once the fiberglass is dry. Will use resin/fiberglass dust filler, sand, then prime over. I will be a weekend warrior, but slow and steady will finish her.

Attached Thumbnails
1388881304335.jpg   1388881375259.jpg  

1388881396081.jpg   1388881479465.jpg  

1388881501470.jpg  

Tags
scamp