Happy new bolerowner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #1

Name: Aurel
Trailer: boler
Ontario
Happy new bolerowner

Hiya all! We just bought a 1974 boler 13 footer and had to travel from Niagara Falls all the way to Sudbury and back to get it home! We bought it sight unseen but with the help of a trusted nephew and a lot of digital pics we felt secure that the previous owners were telling the truth when they said "there would be no surprises!"

The little trailer performed flawlessly on the trip home except for a bit of hitch rattle in the bumps! Were really looking forward to many camping trips in the the little green and cream egg!;D)))
Attached Thumbnails
tongue side.JPG   100_4010_4.jpg  

DSC00922.jpg  
Aurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #2

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Nice looking camper! you will have a lot of fun, guaranteed.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #3

Ontario
Thanks John! Its gonna be a learning curve after tent camping for years!
Old 11-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Welcome to FGRV Aurel,
I hope you know that there are 2 meets out your way every year. bolerama at Long Point Conservation area in mid July and the Niagara Wine Escape in mid September.
There is also the meet in Cobourg East in late May.
Hope to see you and your trailer in person next year.

Oh yeah, there are inexpensive hitch clamps to solve that hitch rattle noise. They work well.
Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #5

Ontario
Thanks, Roy for the welcome and the heads up about the meets next year and I sure will try to be there! Long point will be great! That sounds like fun and there will be lots of opportunities to learn from some experienced egg vets!
Old 11-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #6

Long point is usually the weekend after the American 4th of July weekend.
Details and photo's of past meets are here: Ontario Bolerama 2013
Keep your eye out for the 2014 rally calendar and upcoming events (when it is working again).
Old 11-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #7

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Welcome

Welcome, Aurel, to the world of Boler. From the outside pics, your new-to-you Boler could be the twin of our '73 that we got last fall. Looking forward to hearing what renos and upgrades you do.
StrangeQuark88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #8

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Congratulations! It looks wonderful. Nice that you could go right out and camp.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:20 AM   #9

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeQuark88 View Post
Welcome, Aurel, to the world of Boler. From the outside pics, your new-to-you Boler could be the twin of our '73 that we got last fall. Looking forward to hearing what renos and upgrades you do.
We're going to get used to what we have before we go changing very much! I need to figure out the best way to brighten up the green bottom paint that seems kinda dull and chalky and the inside needs cracks calked before Wendy has her fun decorating. I'm sure to have dozens of questions to ask in this forum before I'm through! Thanks for the welcome!
Old 11-05-2013, 02:39 AM   #10

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
Congratulations! It looks wonderful. Nice that you could go right out and camp.
Thanks Cathy! Those pics are from the previous owners ad! Its gotten too cold already to do any camping around here till the spring! We should know our little cream on green egg inside and out by then!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel View Post
I need to figure out the best way to brighten up the green bottom paint that seems kinda dull and chalky
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html
Old 11-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #12

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Thanks Roy! Great help!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #13

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I, and others I'm sure, will be glad to talk to Wendy about some of her decorating ideas. (The photo shows a view of my "Southwest theme". She can get a head start by reading others posts. Simply do a search under the "Search" button on this forum and view the bottom of the drop-down box where you can do a Google search. I suggest using the words "decor, decorating, bedding, kitchen, etc.".
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 006.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #14

Name: Kent
Trailer: 1974 1300 Boler
Manitoba
You can cut down on the "hitch rattle" with a little careful loading of the camper.
The rattle is likely due to lack of tongue weight on the hitch.
When I load up our Boler, I use duffel bags for our personal luggage.
I put these two duffels on the front bench and our extra cooler goes in front of the fridge/bench.

You want to keep the tongue weight around 50-70 lbs. to reduce the rattle.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #15

Name: Dan
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Hiyal Back at you. I joined today after reading many posts because of Aurel. I also purchased a Boler in the last month but I only had to go to Fort Erie to get it. I also live in Niagara Falls. My daughter who lives in St Catharines has owned her Boler for 3 years and loves it. I am also looking forward to some of the local Bolerama's. I hope we can meet up and discuss Boler refurbishing techniques.
Boler Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #16

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmboler View Post
You can cut down on the "hitch rattle" with a little careful loading of the camper.
The rattle is likely due to lack of tongue weight on the hitch.
When I load up our Boler, I use duffel bags for our personal luggage.
I put these two duffels on the front bench and our extra cooler goes in front of the fridge/bench.

You want to keep the tongue weight around 50-70 lbs. to reduce the rattle.
Thanks Kent! There was no propane tank on the front as well! I'll get used to it with a little fine tuning!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #17

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
I, and others I'm sure, will be glad to talk to Wendy about some of her decorating ideas. (The photo shows a view of my "Southwest theme". She can get a head start by reading others posts. Simply do a search under the "Search" button on this forum and view the bottom of the drop-down box where you can do a Google search. I suggest using the words "decor, decorating, bedding, kitchen, etc.".
Thank you Gilda! She's really looking forward to the renovation in the spring! Lots of planning over the winter!
Old 11-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel View Post
Thanks Kent! There was no propane tank on the front as well! I'll get used to it with a little fine tuning!
Welcome Aurel,

Take a look at the Trailer Weights in the real World thread. The weights on the 13' Bolers axles range from the lowest recorded of 1160lbs all the way up to 1920lbs. Most of the Boler owners in these parts (and we have a lot of them) indicate their trailers weigh about 1500lbs on the axle on average when loaded for camping. Its a good practice to put about 10% of the axle weight onto the tongue of the trailer - meaning abt 150lbs on the tongue should shut down the rattle.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:47 AM   #19

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boler Dan View Post
Hiyal Back at you. I joined today after reading many posts because of Aurel. I also purchased a Boler in the last month but I only had to go to Fort Erie to get it. I also live in Niagara Falls. My daughter who lives in St Catharines has owned her Boler for 3 years and loves it. I am also looking forward to some of the local Bolerama's. I hope we can meet up and discuss Boler refurbishing techniques.
Hi Dan! Its great to meet you! I'm so sorry that I missed your post until today! Its the first post on the second page and I didn't see it till just now! We had been researching small trailers for about 6 months and finally made a deal on this boler and brought our little land yacht home from the north! Its not perfect but for 40 years old it's not bad!
Its great to meet a fellow owner so close to home and we'll try to get together and compare notes one day soon! In the meantime it sure is great to have this board to stay in touch!
Old 11-09-2013, 03:08 AM   #20

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Welcome Aurel,

Take a look at the Trailer Weights in the real World thread. The weights on the 13' Bolers axles range from the lowest recorded of 1160lbs all the way up to 1920lbs. Most of the Boler owners in these parts (and we have a lot of them) indicate their trailers weigh about 1500lbs on the axle on average when loaded for camping. Its a good practice to put about 10% of the axle weight onto the tongue of the trailer - meaning abt 150lbs on the tongue should shut down the rattle.
Thank you Carol! The rattle was not constant and only happened going over rough roads! There seems to be lots of bumpy spots here in the Falls! Once I get a propane tank and the camping gear loaded I'm sure to be right in the range of 16 or 17 hundred lbs! We have a Dodge minivan rated for 2000 lbs as a tow car and I'm hoping it will be up to the task! It sure towed well getting home from Sudbury!

Tags
boler