Hello - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2015, 05:45 AM   #1

Name: Harry
Trailer: Keystone
Ontario
Hello

Hi...sort of a miss fit here, I own a small 5th wheel trailer, but lately have been fascinated by truck campers, Would prefer a fiberglass one, as I figure with the molded roof that it would have less chance of springing a leak. Being a poor guy, I will be looking for something older. I have seen a couple around here, Starfire and Bison brands which seem to be pretty much the same. I also like the Sunrader brand, but those seem ultra rare.

Off to look through the site
Harry
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:58 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Harry!

This site is primarily about all-molded towables- trailers and fifth wheels. You'll find the occasional Bigfoot slide-in owner, as they are all-molded, and the occasional all-molded Class C motorhome, like Sunrader. But other sites will be more helpful if you're looking to buy one. Lots of good information here about general RV repair & maintenance and fiberglass work.

Best wishes in your quest!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:34 AM   #3

Ontario
Thanks for the welcome Jon.....You are right about other sites if I am looking to buy. I joined mainly for the fiberglass aspect of it when I go to fix things up on whatever I end up with. Most RVs are similar in makeup, whatever they are...trailer, motorhome or whatever.

There are lots of Bolers and Trilliums up here in Ontario. I believe they were built here in Canada
Old 10-11-2015, 08:54 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Not to beat it to death, but molded fiberglass construction is entirely different than the "Fiberglass sheeting" used in other fiberglass construction. Molded fiberglass does not equal what we call "Sticky" construction.

Just to help, the Bison and Starfire are names not known hereabouts, and the Sunrader slide in campers, built from 1972 to 1979 for mounting on Toyota mini-pickups and a few mid sized pick-ups, are getting extremely rare.

But.... There are BigFoot and Northernlite molded fiberglass slide in campers still in production, both in Canada.

The one Sunrader (project) owner on here has been here but a few months, and he has one of the rarest "full size" versions that may be one all of 50 units built between 1976 and 1979, and is one of three known to currently exist.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:20 PM   #5

Ontario
Starfire....Bison looks the same on the outside.

Attached Thumbnails
$_27 (1).JPG   $_27.JPG  

$_27 (10).JPG   $_27 (7).JPG  

Old 10-11-2015, 02:38 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Not towable, but they sure look all-molded to me. Thanks for sharing the pictures!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #7

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Welcome, Harry! Looks like a good old molded fiberglass, alright, if you can find one like that. Or a Boler since there would be many more of those. Good luck on the search.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 10:54 AM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Starfire lll
Ontario
Wow looks great. I just baught a starfire lll. It has roughly the same room inside as my old 1973 gmc class C 20 foot motor home. Except cabinet space. This winter i hope to refurbish it.
Mikmacmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 11:01 PM   #9

Name: Shiny
Trailer: Nomad Trailer Tent Boat
BC
Very cool thread and campers!
I am in BC, on Vancouver Island. I am lookong for a molded fibreglass camper, hope to find a 8 footer or smaller. Would like a project one for my kids and I to redo ourselves!

Cheers eh,

-Shiny
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 05:14 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Nice looking, I picked one of these up of an old "swap" man many years ago for next to nothing, cash, in thoughts of using but after getting it back home found there was too much structural damage that I wanted to put into it, and sold it. At a small profit I might add.
I then went out and did find my first "EGG" a 79 Boler Voyage, 13 ft trailer.
After many cosmetic improvements and other additions, such as a solar system and many years of enjoyment, camping we graduated to a 16 foot Casita.
My wife still misses the Boler, Her "Lady Bug" but we do enjoy the bathroom and shower in the Casita.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote