Hello - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #1

Name: jerry
Trailer: KZ Sportsman 17RBS
Tennessee
Hello

New member here. I'm from TN and currently own a KZ 17RBS Sportsman TT. Love it bought it new in '16. But i'm getting the fiberglass "itch". Just got off the phone with Scamp & Casita and had some brochures sent to me. So this seemed like a good site to educate myself about fiberglass TT. See y'all on the forums.

tnrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Welcome, and don't forget about Escape. We love ours.

GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #3

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
Welcome, and don't forget about Escape. We love ours.
I love the Escape 21'. Don't know how much of a PITA it is to bring it into the States and register it. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
If you order it from the factory, they will walk you through the process. I think it's a non issue on new ones but a little more complex on used.

We have toured the factory. They were very hospitable even though we had a Casita at the time.
Dave Fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
If you are able to actually go and pick up your camper from Escape, it's a breeze. You actually go to ETI for the orientation and finish up any paperwork and/or payments. You then go back over the border without the camper, and they bring it back over to you on the other side. That way you don't have to deal with customs.

For us, since we are still working, going to pick it up was not an option, because we didn't want to use up all of our vacation. So they offer delivery. And while not cheap, I'm glad that it was an option so that we could go ahead and get one.

For us, registering it was easy. Just went down to the local county clerks office with all of the paperwork that ETI provided to us, and asked them to pull out whatever they needed. Our paperwork had both the Canadian and US prices on it, and the clerk used the US figure when computing the taxes.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:55 PM   #6
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome Jerry and have fun doing your research!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:08 AM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
Welcome Jerry and have fun doing your research!
Thanks JBB! How do you like your Lil' Snooy?
Old 06-21-2018, 09:38 AM   #8
JBB

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrver View Post
Thanks JBB! How do you like your Lil' Snooy?

We love our Snoozy! It's perfect for us. We looked at Casitas and Scamps for a long time. Tried finding used first but we were always '10 seconds" too late. So then we contacted both Casita and Scamp. Had order forms sent to us and were about to sign on the dotted line with Scamp when we saw a T@B. Bought one and kept it 3 years. Discovered some problems from the beginning with it and could see future problems that were developing. Sold it, ordered our Snoozy in November 2016 and picked it up in September 2017. Missed not camping Spring of last year, but we're making up for it now. Richard was great to work with and they built our Snoozy with the extra shelves and cabinets we wanted instead of the 3rd window. We're very pleased!
Old 06-21-2018, 04:50 PM   #9

Tennessee
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
We love our Snoozy! It's perfect for us. We looked at Casitas and Scamps for a long time. Tried finding used first but we were always '10 seconds" too late. So then we contacted both Casita and Scamp. Had order forms sent to us and were about to sign on the dotted line with Scamp when we saw a T@B. Bought one and kept it 3 years. Discovered some problems from the beginning with it and could see future problems that were developing. Sold it, ordered our Snoozy in November 2016 and picked it up in September 2017. Missed not camping Spring of last year, but we're making up for it now. Richard was great to work with and they built our Snoozy with the extra shelves and cabinets we wanted instead of the 3rd window. We're very pleased!
With only an AC fridge how do you keep your perishables when traveling?
Old 06-21-2018, 05:47 PM   #10
JBB

South Carolina
Quote:
With only an AC fridge how do you keep your perishables when traveling?

We have a K2 cooler which is like a Yeti. It kept ice for 6 days while we were in Florida in May. I know some people don't like the Snoozy, because it is all electric, but some owners have installed truck fridges and propane. For us, we have a generator when we want to boondock. My husband is looking into some solar panels as well. We wanted simplicity. We had a 3 way fridge in the T@B. Cost to replace it if something went wrong was $1500. On the Snoozy you go to WalMart and buy a dorm fridge for $100. But I know that's not for everyone!
Old 06-21-2018, 06:50 PM   #11

Tennessee
Thanks JBB. I've contacted Lil' Snoozy and asked why not use AC/DC refridge but never got a response
Old 06-21-2018, 08:57 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Run over to Hohenwald, TN and take a factory tour at Oliver. Even if you don’t buy one it’s an interesting tour and gives good insight on how fiberglass trailers are put together. Mike
The Lonestar Oliver #135 | Ram 1500 5.7L
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:32 PM   #13

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Thanks JBB. I've contacted Lil' Snoozy and asked why not use AC/DC refridge but never got a response
I can’t speak as to why no response from the LS factory, but they DO offer a Truckfridge (12 volt Danfoss compressor refrigerator) as an option. We have one and use a fixed mounted 160 watt Renogy solar panel and a group D Lifeline battery. I also added propane to our LS to better fit our camping style (5 months at a time). We prefer the floor plan, galvanized frame, total thick fiberglass construction throughout (even the floor) to other molded trailers.
Best of luck finding what works best for you.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:36 AM   #14

Tennessee
Thank you for that information David