Hello All! New Hunter compact II owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2015, 09:50 PM   #1

Name: Cathie
Trailer: New owner of a 73 Hunter compact ll
California
Smile Hello All! New Hunter compact II owner

So good to finally be making a post vs perusing the threads. I had the opportunity to pick up a well cared for 74 Hunter Compact II, I am so excited!!! It has been 2 years of chatting and letting the previous owner know I really was interested. There's a little work to do as they have never used the water tank or pump, so as well as cosmetic cabinetry I think this will not be as involved a project as expected. I can camp tomorrow! There is a vintage trailer rally at the end of the month so I am going to go there to meet the gang. Hope you're there, it is in Morro Bay in Central California. After I go out a few times I will see what needs to be addressed as a priority. Can't wait to check out all the rest of the forums. Thanks so much already.
Cathie Sadler-Pare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:26 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Welcome to the fiberglass community, Cathie! Please post photos of your new Hunter!
Which vintage trailer rally did you attend?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:10 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hello All! New Hunter compact II owner

Welcome, Cathie!

I guess in your case persistence paid off! For some of us and our eggs, it's a case of "you'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands."

I agree that using it for a while before considering upgrades and modifications is smart. Meantime how about some photos?

Happy camping!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:18 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hi Cathie and welcome to the world of molded fiberglass RV's, Hunter Compact Division....
Where in California are you located?

Here's are links to some of the work I have done on mine, feel free to steal any ideas you see:
Hunter Compact II by Robert Miller | Photobucket

Hunter Mods 2014 by Robert Miller | Photobucket

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:35 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Welcome cathe
But as other will say
Unless we see pictures it is only a story
Fyi
You should try to come to the rally over halloween weekend at lake casitas ( in Ojai.... 10 minutes from Ventura).....
Again welcome... Did i mention we need pics

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:22 AM   #6

California
I just parked her in the driveway this afternoon! Pictures were taken and when I figure out how to upload them on the forum I will get them shared.
I've been reading all the Hunter posts and feel as if I know all of you already : ) So you won't mind when I ask questions about your water systems, wiring, cabinet mods and fun adventures. I am hoping to go to the vintage trailer rally at Morro Bay strand over halloween weekend. Its cooler than Ojai at this time. Is it Fall yet these 90 degree temps miserable. Thanks for the welcome!!!
Old 10-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #7

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Welcome!
We are the oddballs in the hunter crowd so if you have any off the wall plans we may be able to offer encouragement! 😉

Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:12 PM   #8

California
ah shucks! didn't know about the Lake Casitas gathering. I am going to the vintage trailer rally at the Morro Bay Strand. A couple of hours north of me, in Morro Bay. I am hoping it will be Fall temps not the hot 90 degrees we've been having. Is anyone going to the Morro Bay Strand gathering? I'd love to meet you!
Old 10-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #9

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Welcome to the forums, Cathie. I think those little Hunter Compacts are really cute. Looking forward to seeing pics of yours.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:09 PM   #10

California
Ok Here it is ... a couple of pictures. The neighbor thinks it looks like a classic coleman cooler, I am leaning toward a lady bug as there is one that was painted on the side and then painted over (still visible) may have to release the bug. : )

Ok I'm new - I added pics to my album but can't insert them here.

But it is now my Avatar!!
Old 10-17-2015, 06:57 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Hello All! New Hunter compact II owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathie Sadler-Pare View Post
...Ok I'm new - I added pics to my album but can't insert them here.
Yep, it got me at first, too. It's a 2-step process: upload, then insert.

To upload, start a post and look for the paper clip icon in the tool bar. If you don't see it (depending on how you initiated the post), click on "Go Advanced." The paper clip takes you to a new tab called "Manage Attachments." Choose up to 4 pictures and hit "Upload." Depending on the size of the pictures, it may take a while.

To insert, return to your post. Place your cursor where you want the picture to appear. Click the paper clip icon again, and this time you will see a list of your uploaded pictures (if not they're still loading). Choose one. You'll see an attachment ID pop up in your post. Reposition the cursor and repeat for the remaining pictures.

You're done, but I always hit the "Preview" first. Now you can see the pictures to make sure they're displaying as you want. Then "Post Reply."

If you have a high resolution camera, you may want to resize them before posting, both to conserve server space and as a kindness to those of us with slower internet connections.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #12

California
Thanks for the tutorial! I am looking forward to contributing project pics as I go along. and asking all of the folks who have experience for help. As they say a pictures says a thousand words.

I spent a year on the forum learning from all you and dreaming, now its my turn to add to someone elses dream of finding that perfect little camper.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:32 AM   #13

California
Odd balls in the Hunter clan? what did you paint your little guy black... black sheep in the family : )

Can't wait to read what novel idea's you came up with.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:56 PM   #14

California
Registry
Well for one, we took out the noisy 12v water pump and the useless hand pump and put in a marine foot pump.
For another we put a couple of small solar panels on the pop top
We also replaced all the lights with LEDs
Next up is new pop top canvas with four way ventilation and a built in cat walk
Well and I got those Costco rope lites with the remote color control to go around the ceiling....

Old 10-19-2015, 11:21 PM   #15

California
You are a handy woman after my own heart. I have been searching external water tanks as a solution to the original 16 gallon tank located under the seat. It appears to have a creature living in it. Plus I don't want to haul 16 x 8.34lbs/gal. There is only the kitchen sink, no shower no potty - just me and my dog.

so tomorrow's project remove the green tank and find a way to replumb to a 5 gallon sparklets container to pull water from outdoors.There is no 12v at this time so it is hand pump or install a pump and use the generator for water. I'll stick with the hand pump it appears to work.and it is quiet.

Then replace the grey metal kinked propane hose and install a new regulator. the other one works but why take a chance if it equates to Boom!

Definately looking to solar but until $$ happen that will be research and dream. But the costco light strand!! That has to happen!

Between you and Mr Bob Miller I should be able to ask all the questions I can think of you are Hunter Compact experts!

Good to meet you!
Old 10-20-2015, 07:00 AM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathie Sadler-Pare View Post
...so tomorrow's project remove the green tank and find a way to replumb to a 5 gallon sparklets container to pull water from outdoors….
You might want to take a look at this:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...diy-68705.html
An Igloo cooler-type reservoir would be a lot easier to fill and clean than a Sparkletts bottle and it would stabilize the temperature a bit. I believe the link is to his blog, which has the details.

Thanks, Ian G.!
Old 10-20-2015, 05:55 PM   #17

California
Registry
If you can clean the original tank I would suggest that is the best solution. The area it is in is almost inaccessible except to spiders. If you are concerned with weight don't fill it all the way.
At least ours in inaccessible because we went for the full time bed.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:58 PM   #18

Building Tip..... Never make any mods that can't be reversed or at least removed. Every thing I do is done with screws so I can back things out for mod or repairs.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:25 PM   #19

California
I know why the PO said they never used the on board water tank. It leaks... It is now in the yard and I can see that someone tried to heat the drain area with a torch and well it didn't work. So ... I am almost done replumbing to the hand pump sink and using Ian G.'s idea of the external water reservoir / orange water cooler, that we never use We will have water tomorrow. I hope to have the gas line replaced as well before next weekend. As that will be her maiden voyage!
Old 10-23-2015, 12:38 PM   #20

We use both the internal and an external water tank. The internal one is for sink and shower panel hot and cold water, the external one is for cooking and drinking water. We use two separate pumps and faucets. Here's some pics of the external set up and an option we can also use.
\

[IMG]
http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo73/advocateone/Hunter%20Compact%20II/IMG_0415_zpsiawwa3ur.jpg[/IMG]