Hello all! New member here. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #1

Name: Wade
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Hello all! New member here.

Hello there all! Long time lurker and searcher for a small 13 foot camper. I’ve been on and off this forum for a few years checking things out and trying to get an idea on what really fits my needs. A while back I decided I wanted to get something as inexpensive as possible and make it my own. Don’t mind it being just a shell to sleep in with needing lots of elbow grease and scrubbing. I also, wanted something stripped down fairly light to pull with my Jeep. I’ve always tent camped so, this will be a nice upgrade. I also, wanted something that needed some work whether it be paint, dirty, floors, gutted or whatever. I’m looking at making it light off road capabile. I also, didn’t want to take a nice camper and strip it down, to me there’s enough out there that’s been stripped down and Need work that I can make work for me. I may have just found something that fits my bill and is a diamond in the rough to me. I’m headed out of town for just over a week so, didn’t get a chance to see it in person as it’s a couple hours away. The person has been kind enough to wait for me to return home from my vacation and hold it for me until I return. There’s a few concerns but, it’s basically a done deal in my mind at the price point I’m getting. The biggest downside is that it has been painted very artistically and needs a complete paint job. Photos will follow once I actually get it home. I’m ok with that although it will be a challenge as I don’t have the area to really prep and paint it. But, I’m determined to make it work. I’m excited to be getting a camper in just over a week so, I look forward to all the learning experiences to come. I’ve been in the food service industry my whole life but spent about six years living and working on boats in the scuba industry. During that time I learned some basic fiberglass work and painted several boats. We would do work to the hull, prep and repaint the entire boat, fiberglass repairs, and other maintenance jobs when we went into the boat yard for a couple weeks each year. Plus I lived on a submarine for four years, so small is ok for me. So, these little fiberglass campers are where it’s at for me. It’s also, just big enough for my Sphynx cat Kojack to come along on some camping adventures. I look forward to sharing my camping adventures and seeing all of yours. Thanks
SubmarineVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:01 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
We’re glad you decided to stop lurking and actually join the FGRV forum group. Looking foreward to your pictures and progress.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:47 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Wade,

Yeah, looking forward to seeing what you've found. Good luck with getting your new trailer and making it yours! Sounds like you've been thinking about it for a long time. Welcome aboard!
Old 12-08-2018, 02:53 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome Wade. Sounds like you have experience with FG, these eggs should be a piece of cake for you. Keep the pics of your work, before, during and after coming.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
I have a 13' Trillium.
Got it when it was pretty much "used up"
Did a bunch of work, axle, FG repairs, paint, still ongoing.
Works great for me and not that bad with two people, for short trips.
Have mine setup for some pretty rough roads. Tows like it is not even there.

After 4 years in submarines, maybe stay away from green.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #6
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome Wade and definitely post pictures of your progress!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Welcome. Thank you for defending our country. I can only imagine that after sub duty, having glass windows to the exterior is a welcome feature. Sir, Feel free to occupy either the upper or lower bunk. Maybe sub-life explains your attraction to the shape here.

I was born and spent my 1st decade in Red Oak, IA.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:13 PM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Welcome to the forum!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Welcome from another ex-submariner, (1970-74.)
Attached Thumbnails
USSNathanHale1.jpg  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:07 PM   #10

Iowa
Thank you all for the warm welcome. This is Kojack. He will be my camping buddy.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #11

Name: Ginny
Trailer: Escape
Alaska
Registry
I can tell you that my ex-submariner husband (9 years, 74-83) adjusted just fine to our Scamp 13’. He considers it an upgrade that women are allowed on this “tin can.”
GingerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #12

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerB View Post
I can tell you that my ex-submariner husband (9 years, 74-83) adjusted just fine to our Scamp 13’. He considers it an upgrade that women are allowed on this “tin can.”
The small space is ideal in my opinion. I’m wanting to get off the beaten path a bit so these smaller campers are perfect.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #13

Iowa
Just picked up my 1976 Scamp yesterday. It’s definitely a bit of a fixer upper. I’m looking forward to making it my own and get out camping next year. I just posted a new thread with multiple photos and it’s description of the good and the bad. Looking forward to the adventure of fixing it up and getting out there.
Attached Thumbnails
94338FBB-7D45-41D2-A19E-359BA6609A0F.jpeg   CE761BBA-1A88-4030-88B0-EDA370DB5957.jpg  

12ADE2C1-A284-4DED-BB23-80B88F64C5B8.jpeg   D7E6FB30-7E5B-426D-8BB8-339CC12D8965.jpg  

Old 12-19-2018, 09:01 PM   #14

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
With luck it is dry & has no rot. Then again...
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote