Hello! Ames here... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #1

Name: Ames
Trailer: Scamp
Connecticut
Hello! Ames here...

Hey there fiberglass RV folks,

A year ago, I picked up a 1996 Scamp 13 with forward bench/bunks. A few months, many searches of these forums, and numerous projects later, My wife and I sold our house and moved into our little Scamp... along with our 4-year-old son and black lab mix. We are now in the middle of a ~year-long trip around the continental US.

I am finally introducing myself because I actually have something to give back to the community. I recently took the time to write down what I know about stand-alone solar electrical system sizing, and I intend to also document the detailed system design and installation for our trailer.

I gave the community rules a once-over, and because our website has zero commercial basis or intentions, I think it's ok to post a link here:
Off-Grid Solar – Overview & Sizing – Skedaddlers
I hope someone finds this useful!

Ames
ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:01 AM   #2

Name: Sands
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
Hi Ames;

Welcome & thanks for the post: I'm sure many can make use of your info! Hope you and your family make many wonderful memories on your travels.
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:13 AM   #3

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Thank you for posting! You are living my dream We'd like to go solar, so I'm book marking your link for future reference! Welcome and happy travels!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #4

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Host Forum?

Is there a forum that we can list our name and address so we can host molded fiberglass travelers for a night or two? Campers could sleep in their units but use the shower and restroom in the house or whatever the host offers. We did this when we had VW van campers. Never stayed at another's house but hosted others. Fun meeting new people.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:41 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ron View Post
Is there a forum that we can list our name and address so we can host molded fiberglass travelers for a night or two? Campers could sleep in their units but use the shower and restroom in the house or whatever the host offers. We did this when we had VW van campers. Never stayed at another's house but hosted others. Fun meeting new people.
https://harvesthosts.com/

(Not limited to FG trailers however)
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:04 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Ames, thanks for your contribution.

Reliance on solar charging should, as you point out, include plenty of panel watts so the battery bank can get topped off as completely as possible every few days; otherwise, the batteries will degrade. And lead-acid batteries should not be discharged much below 50% so they don't sulfate, which means plenty of battery storage is called for also. I have known a couple of forum members who run a DC fridge (Danfoss type compressor) off a single lead-acid battery and 100 or so watts of solar (1 panel), and until fairly recently I thought this was fine, but lately I've come to see how rough this is on battery life. I'm enthused about the newer LiFePO4 batteries and hope their prices come down soon; they can tolerate deeper discharges and less-complete recharges much better than lead-acid. In the meantime, golf cart batteries (although heavy) can take much abuse and give good life.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #7

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Ames, thanks for your contribution.

Reliance on solar charging should, as you point out, include plenty of panel watts so the battery bank can get topped off as completely as possible every few days; otherwise, the batteries will degrade. And lead-acid batteries should not be discharged much below 50% so they don't sulfate, which means plenty of battery storage is called for also. I have known a couple of forum members who run a DC fridge (Danfoss type compressor) off a single lead-acid battery and 100 or so watts of solar (1 panel), and until fairly recently I thought this was fine, but lately I've come to see how rough this is on battery life. I'm enthused about the newer LiFePO4 batteries and hope their prices come down soon; they can tolerate deeper discharges and less-complete recharges much better than lead-acid. In the meantime, golf cart batteries (although heavy) can take much abuse and give good life.
Mike, the other thing I have learned about charging lead-acid batteries is that they cannot be effectively recharged from 50% SoC in a single day, due to the limited current that they can accept--meaning that even if more than enough solar power is available during the day, using more than a smallish portion of the available capacity each night isn't feasible! I definitely look forward to affordable lithium options.

P.S. Sorry for the delayed reply! We have been on the road a lot lately...
Old 06-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #8

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ron View Post
Hi Ron,
Sorry for the delayed reply! One site we have come across, but have yet to take advantage of, is https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/
It appears to be what you're looking for, and it looks like a great community (though we have no personal experience yet)
Old 06-15-2017, 07:06 AM   #9

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Boondocking

Ames, thank you, looks good. Ron
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote