Hello everyone - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1977 Biggar
Manitoba
Hello everyone

Hello everyone my name is Karen and I'm new on here.I just bought a 1977 Biggar a few weeks ago. I am LOVING the layout of the camper and my son & I are looking forward to camping in it as soon as I can fix it up. Lots of repairs to be done any help I can find would be GREAT.

I am having a problem right now with paint on the outside....the camper has been painted a few times and is now chipping off in chunks,is there something I can use to remove the paint I have been sanding it down to feather it out just to try to smooth it so I can repaint it but taking so long to do??? Any ideas would be very helpful....

Thank You
Karen
Karen Ponto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:55 AM   #2

Name: Randy
Trailer: casita
Florida
Hi Karen and welcome! Im brand new to fibreglass campers as well so dont have much advice on em yet. Im thinking a paint stripper brushed on , letting it sit and then scrapping it off with a putty knife would work . Youll appreciate your camper alot more when its fixed up by doing alot of the work yourself. Good Luck!
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Welcome Karen. See this post from another newbie. I promise you (almost) that if you type in a few key words on the search engine there is a ton of information here. If not then ask and you will get a dozen great answers.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post394406
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
In using the Search feature, it's best to enter the query words in the lower box - the Google/Site Search one - much better targeting of results.

Re removing paint - before using paint stripper, I'd do a very small test in an inconspicuous area - you don't want to damage the fiberglass, and some strippers have strongly caustic components. I'd probably be tempted to try one of the citrus-based ones first...

A good oscillating sander with high-quality sandpaper can fair in the edges of sections where you've removed paint well, if you have the patience to do it. You might also check with a good auto body shop, as some of them have experience with painting FG car bodies on Corvettes and might be able to give you some advice.
Richard Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #5

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Karen: Did you know about the meet at St. Malo in Aug?

2013 Manitoba Fiberglass and Vintage Camper Rally

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Karen, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here!!

I love the Biggar, I've drooled over Marina's a couple of times at egg gatherings.

As far as removing the paint, I can't remember if a paint stripper for fiberglass is provided in the link, if not... let me know.

Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect. Only perfect for YOU!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #7

Manitoba
Thank You everyone for your help. I am hoping to get it painted before I go East to see my mom in about 5 -6 week still lots of work to do but this one it the hardest to master...LOL
Old 06-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #8

Manitoba
No Adrian I didn't hear about it but now that I know I might be back from out East & if I am I would like to join everyone. Hope to see you there.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #9

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Hi Karen, hoping to be there, but only Sat. afternoon for the tour. We are moving from near Toronto to Emerson that week, so we might need a break from unpacking and would love to see the trailers. We also have happy memories of camping there in the 80's with our kids when we lived in Wpg and now (once we get a trailer) will be taking our three granchildren there - they live in Emerson.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote