Hello from a tent camper looking to convert - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #1

Hello from a tent camper looking to convert

Every year I pack up the Subaru with all my gear, stuff the kids in the remaining free spots and drive off to the camp ground. Then unload and set up. Only to reverse the process on the way home. I am ready to hook up and drive off, shower and toilet included.

I love the idea of a fiberglass trailer- lightweight, sturdy, and warm. And this is a great forum to learn from. Can't wait to find a trailer and join the community.
HappyCamperUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Welcome! Yes, having a trailer does reduce the amount of packing/unpacking you must do. You still have to pack food and clothes, but so much other stuff can be left in the trailer between trips. And the ability to dispense with setting up & taking down the tent is priceless.

What year and model Subaru do you have? Have you looked into its tow rating, so you know what size trailer you can handle?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #3

I have a Subaru Forester, but it isn't the car I plan to tow with. It just passed 200,000 miles and it is time to move on.

That is one of my main reasons for looking at campers. I want to make sure I get a SUV or Truck with enough towing capacity for the camper I pick.

I am looking at the Toyota Rav4, Nissan Xterra or Subaru Tribecca. I am looking at used models and have noticed that you have to pay attention to the specific years towing capacity and if any special equipment was required. In the case of the RAV4 - a V6 with the special towing package is required and it is hard to find in a used model. I am leaning towards the Nissan because of price and it can go off road.

I will be reading the forum and seeing what others are pulling their trailers with.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Subaru Outback and Trillium 1300

Welcome Happy Camper,

We pull our Trillium 1300 with our Subaru Outback.

The Outback is rated for 2700# and the Trillium weighed 1840# with our stuff in it.

We just changed TVs. Our other was a 2000 Subaru Outback rated for 2000# and that did a fine job of towing the Trillium.

We converted from tent camping to the Trillium in 2009.

Good luck in your quest.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:06 AM   #5

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Welcome. Believe me, you'll love a trailer. If you're looking for a toilet & shower you may be looking at something a little heavier--say 16 ft. So you'll need to think about that when buying the next vehicle. But it sounds like you're already pretty savvy on that score.
Best of luck!
Phil
Old 05-02-2014, 06:45 AM   #6

I should disclose that my dad is a diesel mechanic and my brother participates in truck pulls so I am heavily schooled in towing capacity.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:01 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
When you're balancing trailers vs. tow vehicles look at Fred's "trailer weights in the real world" thread pinned in the General Chat forum. Advertised weights are often wildly understated by the manufacturers and you'll want to make an informed decision. Fred's efforts provide a range of real life weights of trailers, often from rallys.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #8

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
How many kids do you have and how old are they? that is probably the deciding factor on sizing a camper.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have pulled with a Subaru as well and can tell you they make *great* tugs for small fiberglass trailers - but I would avoid pulling any trailer over 13' with them due to their very limited tongue weight specs, which is found on most of their models.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Bookmark this page in the forum.
For Sale: Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers - Fiberglass RV

And this site
Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Both are good starting points for your search. Check them often and expect to act fast if you see something you are interested in.

Craig's list is also a possibility but beware of scams, have been several reported specifically involving FGRV's.

You might also want to print off this check list for inspecting a trailer.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/buy-sell.html

On older trailers frame for cracks, axle for suspension sag on old torsion axles, and floor for soft spots. Especially around the outer edges inside where shell meets floor. Water from leaks generally follow the wall down.

Good luck on finding your perfect camper, but I have to warn you having kids stuffed into car with camping gear does tend to reduce the "he's touching me" events due to not being able to move. ;-)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote