Hello from Alberta Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Hello from Alberta Canada

Hi all, from the great white north.
This morning I towed home our "new" 13' 1974 Boler, what better time of year to buy a travel trailer than in January and having to hook it up in the cold and tow it through snow drifts. Mind you last July I bought a snow blower... I am starting to see a trend.

The Boler, although not perfect is in very good and original shape for a 37 year old unit. It came complete with awning, bunk bed supports and newer cushion covers but needs a cleaning, I will also check and do maintenance on the running gear and the roof vent needs replacing.

I am looking forward to searching through the forum's achieves for information, ideas and new friends.

Ian
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Sounds good, Ian- I appreciate your "trend."

Welcome to FiberglassRV.com!!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #3

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi ian---i should say, you certainly have a trend going----you made me laugh, though, about this trend, and that is priceless!!!
our trailer is in our carport, clean and snow-free, but we leave for florida in about 2 weeks and dennis has made sure---above all else!!!---that the way is clear for that little trailer to make it's escape out of the carport on the "appointed day of departure".....
how does your new-to-you-boler look, now that you've got it home and had time to do a closer inspection????
happy camping!
cheers
theresa
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
how does your new-to-you-boler look, now that you've got it home and had time to do a closer inspection????
happy camping!
cheers
theresa
Thank you for the warm welcome.

Upon a quick closer inspection there are a few items that need attention, the Propane tank rack is a home made effort that needs replacing, the propane hose from the tank to the regulator is the old style & will not fit the newer tank, there is quite a bit of play in the trailer coupling that I cannot seem to adjust out so I will be replacing the tongue coupling, and there are a number of loose wires under the kitchen sink some appear to be 110V so I will need to go through the entire electrical system to make sure it is safe. All in all no big surprises, more looks good than bad.

My wife & I have tented our entire lives but I am getting too old to sleep on the ground and set-up a tent so we are looking forward to summer camping in Boler luxury.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome Ian and wife to FiberglassRV. If purchasing a molded trailer gets you off the ground and away from wet canvas... GREAT... I know it worked for me!

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvord View Post
Hi all, from the great white north.
This morning I towed home our "new" 13' 1974 Boler, what better time of year to buy a travel trailer than in January and having to hook it up in the cold and tow it through snow drifts. Mind you last July I bought a snow blower... I am starting to see a trend.

I am looking forward to searching through the forum's achieves for information, ideas and new friends.

Ian
Ahhh! A true westerner.
Our daughter lives just a little north of you, up in Grande Prairie. We were through most of the province from north to south, and from Jasper to the badlands, just last summer. Had a great time and met a lot of very friendly folk. Welcome to the forum.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #7

Name: Shelley
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Ontario
welcome Ian....can tell that you're an Albertan....would scare me to death, picking up the trailer in the snow !!!! Shelley from the Sunny South Ontario
Shelley Brinacombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
I have been away from this foum for a while but ave not forgotten my beloved Boler. In the fall when I "winterized" I got carried away and completly stripped the interior. I am in the process of a complete redesign of the interior that I think is quite unique. I will post pics as things progress.

One thing I did notice is that the frame was a little questionable so this is how things sit right now. I am building the new frame in a few weeks.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #9

Welcome back Ian! Wow, wish my garage was so neat. Is that carpet I see on the floor? If THAT is an indication... I would bet your Boler is going to be first class when you get it finished and I'm already looking forward to interior pics
Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Welcome back Ian! Wow, wish my garage was so neat. Is that carpet I see on the floor? If THAT is an indication... I would bet your Boler is going to be first class when you get it finished and I'm already looking forward to interior pics
Thanks Donna

I wish my garage was this clean also, I am just borrowing the work space.
the floor is actually a stenciled epoxy finish but it is beautiful.
As a teaser here is a rough plan of the interior. The cabinets are well under way. "U" shaped kitchen with closet to right of door, seat to left of door conceals portapoti. 3 cu/ft 3 way fidge and 2 burner stove with oven.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #11

I would imagine that layout will be perfect for you. Thanks very much for sharing your vision... I love to see others ideas
Old 03-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Ian,

I think at this point it is important to note that the kitchen cabinets and the closet are both structural members that hold up the roof. If you change them, something will have to fill this function, or a snow load, or someone on the top, could collapse your trailer.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Ian,

I think at this point it is important to note that the kitchen cabinets and the closet are both structural members that hold up the roof. If you change them, something will have to fill this function, or a snow load, or someone on the top, could collapse your trailer.
Hi Dave

Thank you for your warning, it is appreciated.
I know that the closet and cabinets are structural and although they are not shown in the plan I am incorporating structural members on each side wall of the trailer in the centre section as well as on each side of the door.

I discovered when I removed the existing cabinets that most of the rivets were loose or actually pulled through the outer shell on the upper cabinet and the closet, the design of the new supports will eliminate these point loads and support the roof load along the side from top to bottom.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #14

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
your plans looks terrific and i am looking forward to seeing the "big reveal".
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote