Hello from Austin - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-25-2018, 07:57 AM   #1

Name: alice
Trailer: currently shopping
Texas
Hello from Austin

Hello from central Texas!

We are looking for our first fiberglass rv. We have a popup now - time to retire that guy and find the fiberglass one we really want.

We looked at Scamp and Casita and Lil Snoozy. Wow - wait up to a year for new build. So we're actively looking for a used one in good shape. We already posted on the forum here for that.

Fiberglass makes so much sense - I can see why everybody wants one! We look forward to becoming part of your community!

Alice
aerrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:13 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Good call, Alice, and welcome to the forum!

Finding a molded fiberglass unit in good condition may take some searching, so it's great you still have that pop-up in the meantime. You need to be fast and decisive when the right one comes up, but it's not good to be in a big hurry.

I grew up camping in a pop-up, and that's what I was looking for 5 years ago when my own family got back into camping, but our Scamp turned up first by happy accident. We skipped that step!

Best wishes in your "egg hunt"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:03 AM   #3

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Welcome Alice and good luck on your search.
Another good forum to watch is at casitaforum.com.

And please let us know when you are ready to hit the road with your new little house, whatever make.

Walt
Old 04-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Casita times are less than a year.

We ordered our new Casita in February and are picking it up in May. It started production last week. We even had the opportunity for April, but our commitments could not free up that time.

At 3 hours away (Rice), I would suggest you drive over and look at the factory. For us the big difference was the fiberglass bottom as well as top on Casitas. We bought a 1988 Scamp two years ago to see if fiberglass trailers were for us. We fell in love with the genre.

When we started shopping for a late model Casita, we found good ones go quick and trailers 3-4 years old are only $3-4000.00 less than new. This made us less concerned about depreciation. Also, with new we get exactly what we want. So I ordered our new one in February, went on one last campout in March in our 1988 Scamp, then sold our old trailer in April.

Just my thoughts,
Dave
Cajun Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #5

Name: Myrt
Trailer: Coachmen Freedom Express
Texas
Casita

Alice, I want to buy a Casita too and I just need to make a trip to Rice from San Angelo and look at them. All I read says they are wonderful and they hold their value so well. Keep your pop up and get on the list for a Casita is what I would advise. I had a pop up for years and wore it out! now have Coachmen 192 and love it but sure would like a lite Casita. Let me know how it turns out. As some one, if you find one, be ready to buy it right then. Myrt
br23mat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #6

Name: Joe
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Hello Alice - I'm in Austin too! I bought my '03 Casita SD last fall in La Grange. It is in near perfect condition and I'm currently updating everything.

I saw the ad for sale the morning of thefirst day it ran, so I called and set an appointment for that afternoon. I told the seller if it was in the near-new condition as stated in the ad I would pay the listed price. It was in great shape and had all of the factory options offered when purchased. I wanted to pay for it with one of my credit cards but the seller wanted cash. I drove back to Austin to my bank and returned the next day with a cashiers check for the sales price. Three people had driven over to buy it that day. So my advice is to have a deposit in cash, and be ready to make a decision when you're satisfied with the value. Most Casita's will only be on the market for a couple of days ...or less!

In the interim you might want to order the "Casita Travel Trailer A-Z Owner's Guide that's available at LoveMyCasita - some of the best money ever spent!
Happy hunting, Joe G
1joedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:12 PM   #7

Name: Tommy
Trailer: Escape 21
Washington
Welcome to the forum. Have you thought about an Escape? I own an Escape 19 and have an Escape21 on order. Five years ago when I started looking at fiberglas trailers, I was almost sold on a Casita, until I looked at the Escape. Aside from the quality build, the customer service is second to none.
papasm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #8

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I’ll give an amen to the customer service. Escapes are very high quality. Love my 19 and they (the19s) have a full size queen bed, not the short rv queen and the mattress quality is far above the typical rv mattress.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:19 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
We just got our new Casita Independence in March 2018, did our first rally in Bandera last week, loved it, the Casita was wonderful and all worked as it should. If you go the Rice to see the Casita's ask for Carla, she is wonderful to work with. As of last week wait time is around four months, not too long to wait and will give you plenty of time to collect and think about what you want to carry in your new trailer. Due note if you order a trailer ($2000 deposit requited) you can make any changes to your order up to the start date with no charge to you, beyond that there is a fee. We pull our Casita with a 2017 Honda Ridgeline, no WDH and it pulled wonderful and got 18.8 mph, more should look at the Ridgeline as a tow vehicle for their fiberglass trailers in the Ridgeline weight class.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:24 AM   #10

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Glad to see the improved mileage on the new Ridgelines. That's the one thing less than sterling on my 2013. Otherwise I still love it.

Walt
Old 04-27-2018, 09:37 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Glad to see the improved mileage on the new Ridgelines. That's the one thing less than sterling on my 2013. Otherwise I still love it.

Walt
True, I had a 2008 Ridgeline and 20mph on the highway was tops and that's without a trailer, 14-15 mpg was my city average without a trailer.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote